*** Test Report on the Corvette ZHZ ***

Started by Colin, June 06, 2009, 10:08:04 PM

Colin

Decided to splash out and spend the extra (lots of) dosh beyond corporate policy to get one of the special Hertz Corvette ZHZ cars.

Find out what I thought of it, by clicking through here: http://www.themotor.net/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=71&func=view&catid=13&id=5435

GoCougs

Wow - you wrote that? That's really good. What was the rental cost, BTW?

It's probably one of the most compromised-engineered vehicles on the road; there's simply no way to get 430hp, 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and a top speed of 190 mph at just $45k without making significant cuts just about everywhere else.

The ride and chassis issues have all to do with those throw-back leaf springs. Ugh.

cawimmer430

Holy shit!  :rockon:

Colin has some serious connections!  :thumbsup:

I'm reading that later, but the pictures look nice. You need a DSLR damn it!!!  :lockedup:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Quote from: GoCougs on June 06, 2009, 10:19:00 PM

The ride and chassis issues have all to do with those throw-back leaf springs. Ugh.

I'm gonna say it one more time: you have no goddamn clue about this and are an utter moron for even thinking it.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on June 09, 2009, 08:20:59 AM
I'm gonna say it one more time: you have no goddamn clue about this and are an utter moron for even thinking it.

Sure I have a clue, and I've mentioned it myriad times; functional-wise, it's one dynamic structural member performing three disparate jobs (left spring, right spring, anti-roll bar) simultaneously and development-wise it's inherent variable rate and wheel travel issues, and tuning difficulty.

Only with expensive and complicated technology (i.e., ZR1's second-generation magnetic particle shocks) have GM engineers come close to combining the performance and livability of a high-performance coil suspension one would expect in a high-end sports car. My bet is that, should it ever come to be, the C7 will have coils.

If you have objective opinions to the contrary, try bucking up. Calling names simply makes you look like you can't technically challenge what has been written.

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on June 09, 2009, 08:20:59 AM
It's just like his hate-on for pushrod engines.  The Chevy LSX and Chrysler Hemi, IMO, have proven that pushrods are every bit as capable as OHC.

Colin

Quote from: R-inge on June 09, 2009, 09:33:21 AM
Linky no worky.
It seems that we are cursed with the most unreliable ISP known to man........ the servers is down again (that's the third time in 10 days!)......... I will let you know when it is revived again.

S204STi

Quote from: Colin on June 09, 2009, 11:10:11 AM
It seems that we are cursed with the most unreliable ISP known to man........ the servers is down again (that's the third time in 10 days!)......... I will let you know when it is revived again.

Thank you!

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 09, 2009, 09:44:25 AM
It's just like his hate-on for pushrod engines.  The Chevy LSX and Chrysler Hemi, IMO, have proven that pushrods are every bit as capable as OHC.

Just because something works effectively doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best design.  ;)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on June 09, 2009, 12:18:13 PM

Just because something works effectively doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best design.  ;)

There is no "best".

Laconian

OHC versus OHV now has its own thread. Let Colin have his Vette thread back! :lol:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=18890
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

I really want a Vette.  The current car has really grabbed me in a way I never thought something from GM ever would.  I love it.

sportyaccordy

I'm honestly surprised. I thought the new C6 was the Vette that finally got everything right. Maybe it's just beat cause it's a rental?

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 09, 2009, 02:30:16 PM
I'm honestly surprised. I thought the new C6 was the Vette that finally got everything right. Maybe it's just beat cause it's a rental?

The C6 isn't a new design anymore.

Sigma Projects

I can't get the link to work :huh:

As for the leaf springs, I thought basically right now it doesn't act like a sway bar because of the two center mounts that don't allow for much transfer of flex from one side to the other. I mean the corvette does have a separate sway bar in addition to the leaf spring.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Eye of the Tiger

I see that Ayn Rand knows nothing about the pure genius of transverse leaf springs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on June 09, 2009, 04:00:17 PM
Good point.

WRONG.

Everybody stop your stupid arguments, because everything being discussed here is crap.

Leaf springs? LOLOL.

Coil springs? Eh... may still be useful...

And now I present to you, some very old news, but nonetheless, it is the BEST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNT2Ivad_U
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on June 09, 2009, 03:23:52 PM
The C6 isn't a new design anymore.

He's probably talking about the mild refreshing it got for 2009.

Sigma Projects

i've been waiting for that damn system to come out on cars already... I remember it first showed up... man I creamed my pants when I first saw it.

S204STi

How much does it cost per day to rent of of these things?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 09, 2009, 01:16:22 PM
I really want a Vette.  The current car has really grabbed me in a way I never thought something from GM ever would.  I love it.
I have a thing for them too.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TBR

I must admit I have really warmed up to it as well. I have never considered myself a Corvette person, but the C6.5 has changed me.

SVT666

Quote from: TBR on June 09, 2009, 10:53:19 PM
I must admit I have really warmed up to it as well. I have never considered myself a Corvette person, but the C6.5 has changed me.
Yeah.  I love the Vettes from 1958-1967, but beyond that, I'm no Corvette guy.  However the current Vette is just too damn hot not to love.  Not a big fan of the ZR1 bodywork though.

Sigma Projects

i just really wish one day the top trim Vette will be in spirit a C6R version. Outrageous looking and just have a balls to the wall strung out 7.0 N/A motor

Colin

Quote from: R-inge on June 09, 2009, 05:16:54 PM
How much does it cost per day to rent of of these things?
You really need to play around with all the various CDPs etc that you can find....... I ended up paying ?100 a day, effectively, but got unlimited mileage. All the other deals I have found limit you to 100 miles a day then charge you per extra mile you drive. Hertz suggested an American Express CDP gave a substantally better rate than the IBM one (I do have an Am Ex card - that was the pre-req for using it!)..... usually, the IBM rate is about as good as you can ever find.

Often, it is cheaper to reserve something else and then on the day go to the counter ask if they will do you an upgrade deal to a Corvette. Of course, if they have none, you will be out of luck. If they have plenty, you might be able to pay something like $50 or 75 a day on top of the lesser car you reserved. I did that when I got the Shelby GT-H a couple of years ago.

Hertz have some ZHZ convertibles too. They only have them at certain airports - I've seen them at LAX, SFO, LAS, ORD, MCO. At Denver this evening all they seemed to have were a ton of Chrysler Aspen and Ford Explorer. I rejected the Explorer that was waiting for me, and managed to get a G37 instead, which should do me nicely for the next few days in the Rocky Moutains (this trip is pure vacation!).

the Teuton

General question:

Coming from Europe to the US all the time, you get to see how we drive, how much we pay to drive, what we drive, and our general outlook towards transportation.  Due to less restrictions and lower costs to operation a car, is coming to the US for a vacation with a cool car really even more of a vacation because of it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 09, 2009, 11:36:25 PM
Yeah.  I love the Vettes from 1958-1967, but beyond that, I'm no Corvette guy.  However the current Vette is just too damn hot not to love.  Not a big fan of the ZR1 bodywork though.

I would rock with a C4, C5, C6... they're all great

Colin

Quote from: the Teuton on June 11, 2009, 09:42:19 PM
General question:

Coming from Europe to the US all the time, you get to see how we drive, how much we pay to drive, what we drive, and our general outlook towards transportation.  Due to less restrictions and lower costs to operation a car, is coming to the US for a vacation with a cool car really even more of a vacation because of it?
Not really............. to be honest, this vacation is all around the stunning scenery of the great national parks in the Mid-West. In the next 2 weeks, I hope to visit the following: Rocky Mtn, Colorado National Monument, Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Zion, Monument Valley, lake Powell (not necessarily in that order!), alng with a trip up Pikes Peak. I visited this area about 10 years ago, and am overdue a return visit. Shame the forecast for at least the first few days is pretty poor. Certainly a variety of rental cars (I am doing a couple of internal flights to avoid having to return where I started) will also be good to experience. You can never try too many different cars! I got a G37 last night, and am looking forward to trying that out today!

There are plenty of great places to vacation in Europe, too......... last hols were a week in the Netherlands in early April (when I got lucky with perfect weather), and I have a week in Croatia lined up for later in the summer.   Europe is expensive for me at present, because of the collapse in the value of the pound against the Euro, though it has recovered from its nadir at the turn of the year, and it has regained 20 cents of the 60 it lost against the US dollar at the same time.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Colin on June 12, 2009, 07:44:45 AM
Not really............. to be honest, this vacation is all around the stunning scenery of the great national parks in the Mid-West. In the next 2 weeks, I hope to visit the following: Rocky Mtn, Colorado National Monument, Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Zion, Monument Valley, lake Powell (not necessarily in that order!), alng with a trip up Pikes Peak. I visited this area about 10 years ago, and am overdue a return visit. Shame the forecast for at least the first few days is pretty poor. Certainly a variety of rental cars (I am doing a couple of internal flights to avoid having to return where I started) will also be good to experience. You can never try too many different cars! I got a G37 last night, and am looking forward to trying that out today!

There are plenty of great places to vacation in Europe, too......... last hols were a week in the Netherlands in early April (when I got lucky with perfect weather), and I have a week in Croatia lined up for later in the summer.   Europe is expensive for me at present, because of the collapse in the value of the pound against the Euro, though it has recovered from its nadir at the turn of the year, and it has regained 20 cents of the 60 it lost against the US dollar at the same time.

Arches, Bryce, Zion's Canyon, Canyonlands, and Lake Powell should all be beautiful right now.  We have been having a lot of rain and thunderstorms in northern Utah but you should see almost perfect weather in the southern end of the state.  It sounds like you have a busy schedule but you might consider Goblin Valley.  It has some unique formations and you could hike Little Wildhorse Canyon which is right next to it if you would be interested in going through a slot canyon.