Lucked out twice in a month finding decent shops.

Started by VTEC_Inside, June 11, 2009, 12:13:52 PM

VTEC_Inside

I'm on a bit of a high right now as I've managed to find a kick ass tire shop and a great Acura mechanic in the past couple weeks.

I've always dreaded bringing my car in for anything cause no one seems to care about anything. I had issues with my new tires, had them balanced like 5-6 times and each time they'd nick a lug hole here or there, or in one case knock like an inch of the gunmetal paint off the hub hole.

Finally called Yokohama on it and they sent me to a shop near my house that has been nothing short of amazing. My first visit they remounted 2 tires and re-balanced all 4 of them without even charging me. We then determined that I had at least one bad tire, they went ahead and ordered TWO to replace a matching pair, prior to getting the warranty approval from Yokohama. He mounted those, re-mounted the last tire that he hadn't redone previously, and re-balanced all of them for me for really cheap.

After all that tire swapping bs they never made one new mark on any of my wheels. Not just the one guy either, they are all great guys that actually give a shit. They've got me as a customer for life now.

That takes care of the tires, on to the mechanic bit...

If anyone has read my thread in the Fast Lane section, you'll know that my buddies NSX had a transmission failure that a TSB had been issued for back in the day. Well through the local NSX guys he got in touch with an Acura mechanic that does work out of his home for people.

We had the NSX towed to this guys MANSION last night and through talking I mentioned my RSX-S. He asked if I had the transmission TSB work done on my car. I said no, because the dealers I had been to "can't replicate the problem" even though they all know its there.

He asks about my warranty (up this June 15th) and he's like bring it to me at work and I'll get the TSB parts installed on it. I was a little flabbergasted and he's like yeah, he's done a bunch of them.

FYI: I have had occasional 2nd gear grinds and resistance into third gear since new. Basically the same problems that everyone has had with the Honda 6spds.

Anyways, I took a boot out to the dealer he works at this morning and he had already ordered the revised 3rd gearset for me. He was ready for me to leave the car today, lol... I mentioned my 2nd gear issues and he said he'd order a new 2nd gearset just in case, and I'm booked for Monday.

Even better he says he can do it in one day (TSB says just over 8hrs) because he's done so many of them.

I just had to share that I am thrilled right now. I've been putting up with stress and frustration having to get anything done that I couldn't do on my own. It feels good to know that I've got a couple places I can go to and not have to hover to make sure that things are being done right.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Awesome man.  Finding people you can trust is both difficult yet hugely satisfying when you find them.

TBR

I think I have finally found one myself.

I have found one that was doing good work, but I think they were screwing me over on labor (and they definitely weren't cut me a break on parts either, they were charging retail). This new guy, however, managed to change out the clutch master and slave cylinders, the steering rack, and the out tie rods in under 4 hours (the same amount of time my old mechanic quoted me for just the cylinders). Then he noticed that the power steering pump was weak so he replaced that, and didn't charge me for the labor! (his rate, btw, was only $65/hour) He even gave me a loaner and reimbursed me for the gas I put in it. When the loaner decided to quit running while I was on my way back, he diagnosed it over the phone and changed out the ignition solenoid on the side of I40 (that was the problem). For the inconvenience he knocked another $20 off my bill (I tried to give it to him anyway because I felt kind of bad since all said and done he was only going to make ~$170 on the labor, obviously I don't know what he gets parts for, but he wouldn't take it), on top of the 5% discount for using cash.

Unless he just does really shitty work, looks like I finally found a good one.

Raza

Good shops? 

Oh yeah, there's a unicorn tied up in my backyard too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on June 11, 2009, 12:42:10 PM
Good shops? 

Oh yeah, there's a unicorn tied up in my backyard too.

LoL... I still share your disbelief, but I have had at least a tiny portion of my faith in humanity renewed.

AutobahnSHO

Sigh- I need a good transmission shop. I guess I should just check around..
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 11, 2009, 07:17:15 PM
Sigh- I need a good transmission shop. I guess I should just check around..

I've got one of those two from a while back. Smaller shop run by a couple brothers. :)

Never had to use them for any of my own cars, but brought my gfs parents car there and my buddy had them rebuild his ATX SHOs tranny too.