More bad news for Dodge/Chrysler??

Started by AutobahnSHO, June 14, 2009, 03:02:46 PM

AutobahnSHO

So a friend travelled to another Dodge dealer (since Augusta Dodge/Chrysler shut down,) and supposedly got a good deal on a Journey (for his wife.  :devil: )
$17k for a vehicle supposedly $23k MSRP.

He drove it a week then had to take it back Friday.
Supposedly the bank said they weren't going through with the loan. On ANY Chrysler vehicles.

That doesn't seem to bode well.!...
Will

BimmerM3

Whoa, what? It doesn't seem like the fact that Chrysler made the car should have anything to do with it. Once the car is purchased, the guy owes the bank money. Not sure where Chrysler comes into the occasion. Maybe the bank is worried that if they have to repossess the car, they won't be able to sell it?

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 14, 2009, 03:11:17 PM
Whoa, what? It doesn't seem like the fact that Chrysler made the car should have anything to do with it. Once the car is purchased, the guy owes the bank money. Not sure where Chrysler comes into the occasion. Maybe the bank is worried that if they have to repossess the car, they won't be able to sell it?

That seems like a likely explanation.

Eye of the Tiger

Chrysler was just purchased by Fiat. What's the big deal now?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 14, 2009, 03:02:46 PM
So a friend travelled to another Dodge dealer (since Augusta Dodge/Chrysler shut down,) and supposedly got a good deal on a Journey (for his wife.  :devil: )
$17k for a vehicle supposedly $23k MSRP.

He drove it a week then had to take it back Friday.
Supposedly the bank said they weren't going through with the loan. On ANY Chrysler vehicles.

That doesn't seem to bode well.!...

That's surprising.  They must be worried about resale in the event of a repo.  I wonder if they'd do it with a bigger down payment, or a shorter loan term, so there'd be less upside down risk.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Going through with the loan? They already finished the deal? :huh:

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on June 14, 2009, 04:38:45 PM
That's surprising.  They must be worried about resale in the event of a repo.  I wonder if they'd do it with a bigger down payment, or a shorter loan term, so there'd be less upside down risk.

Or perhaps it's a smaller bank whose principal resents Chrysler's use of federal funds? Doesn't seem like that would be legal though.

AutobahnSHO

I'll get the skinny monday and see what's up.

He was skipping work Friday afternoon to take care of it and supposedly was getting a different vehicle at the same dealership, so it COULD all be hearsay...
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 14, 2009, 05:20:02 PM
I'll get the skinny monday and see what's up.

He was skipping work Friday afternoon to take care of it and supposedly was getting a different vehicle at the same dealership, so it COULD all be hearsay...

Greg's right though.  It doesn't make sense that he was driving the car a week before the bank declined the financing.  I've never known of a case where you can take possession of the car at all until the dealer has received the loan proceeds from the bank.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on June 14, 2009, 05:24:18 PM
Greg's right though.  It doesn't make sense that he was driving the car a week before the bank declined the financing.  I've never known of a case where you can take possession of the car at all until the dealer has received the loan proceeds from the bank.

A family friend took home their Expedition a couple of days before it was actually paid for it (whether they financed or paid cash I don't know, the latter is certainly possible).

AutobahnSHO

We sorta drove a Hyundai for a week before they (the bank) realized my Mother in Law was the "principal" buyer, that we were actually going to be driving it, with us making the payments.  (my credit sucked, wife didn't have any..)

The dealer took the car back without us owing a penny for the week's mileage.
Will

Onslaught

My Aunt took home her loaded 4Runner without paying or putting her John Hancock on any paper. Had it for over a week before giving them anything. Could help that she has big tits and dressed like a slut when she went to look at it.

dazzleman

Quote from: Onslaught on June 14, 2009, 06:25:58 PM
My Aunt took home her loaded 4Runner without paying or putting her John Hancock on any paper. Had it for over a week before giving them anything. Could help that she has big tits and dressed like a slut when she went to look at it.
:lol:

Morris Minor

I wrote a personal check for my son's Infiniti, which took days to clear my bank, long after I had possession of the car. Of course I'd signed my life away, including liability for the costs of any repossession and, as the salesman said, "We know where you live."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on June 14, 2009, 06:25:58 PM
Got pictures?

Onslaught

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 16, 2009, 10:42:53 PM
Got pictures?
Posting pictures of my aunt would be kind of strange. It be like posting pictures of a sister so all the guys could make jokes about doing her.

I'm not German.  ;)

Anyway, she's in her 50's now and while she's still in great shape for a woman that old she's not internet material. Back a few years ago I could see it.

r0tor

try a different bank.. 2 weeks ago my uncle bought a $39k Dodge Ram Hemi 4-Door for $27k and got a loan for it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 14, 2009, 03:11:17 PM

+1, this makes no sense at all.

sportyaccordy

I drove my Maxima for about 2 days before I brought the money in. W/Chrysler I am sure now they are lending out cars for months just in the hopes that someone purchases it.