***BMW Fans Rejoice!***

Started by cawimmer430, June 19, 2009, 11:05:28 AM

cawimmer430

What is this I saw? A 7-Series TAXI

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Boy, MB can't even keep the taxi market. What a disgrace.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on June 19, 2009, 11:08:50 AM
Boy, MB can't even keep the taxi market. What a disgrace.

MB owns the friggin taxi market.  :praise:

Notice the Prius in the middle.

I even saw a Lexus RX400h Taxi today. Lexus fanboys can suck on that.  :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

I still don't understand how they can afford those.

Xer0

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 19, 2009, 12:39:02 PM

Well, Europeans are badge snobs.  The equipment doesnt mater as long as your roll up windows say Mercedes on them.

ifcar

There's a lively business shuttling people in LS460s and S550s in New York. They just paint them black instead of beige.

cawimmer430

Like Mercedes, BMW offers taxi packages for some of their products that are affordable for the huge taxi fleets. 7-Series taxis are rare though - only when they get older do they increase in numbers. I regularly see E65 7-Series taxis around here. Usually these 7-Series and S-Class taxis are used to chauffeur some VIPs.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on June 19, 2009, 12:47:24 PM
Well, Europeans are badge snobs.  The equipment doesnt mater as long as your roll up windows say Mercedes on them.

:confused:

What would Elena say to that... :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

The Pirate

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 19, 2009, 05:30:08 PM
Like Mercedes, BMW offers taxi packages for some of their products that are affordable for the huge taxi fleets. 7-Series taxis are rare though - only when they get older do they increase in numbers. I regularly see E65 7-Series taxis around here. Usually these 7-Series and S-Class taxis are used to chauffeur some VIPs.

How are the taxi cars equipped relative to a regular version?  I realize that a domestic market Mercedes or BMW will likely have less equipment than one bound for the United States, but are the taxi versions stripped even more?  Leather, rear air, etc.?

I'm just curious.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

cawimmer430

Quote from: The Pirate on June 19, 2009, 05:32:42 PM
How are the taxi cars equipped relative to a regular version?  I realize that a domestic market Mercedes or BMW will likely have less equipment than one bound for the United States, but are the taxi versions stripped even more?  Leather, rear air, etc.?

I'm just curious.

These days your basic Mercedes E-Class taxi comes standard with what are now considered essential features: A/C, electric windows and automatic transmission. I believe there is also some sort of navigation system available especially for taxi drivers. The in-depth details for the new E-Class taxi aren't up yet on MB. The company or drivers then have the option of adding leather seats or Alcantara. Most taxis I pass and glance at have cloth seats but it isn't unusual to see a lot of them with leather. Most trims are Classic (base trim) and a few E-Class taxis have the higher spec Elegance trim which is also offered in the US.

Since these cars are meant to bring people from A to B comfortable and efficiently, they'll generally be equipped the normal suspension and a low-end diesel engine (E200 CDI / E220 CDI). So yeah, basically you guys get the E-Class with more standard features for less money too.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/germany/mpc/mpc_germany_website/de/home_mpc/special_vehicles/home/branch_solutions/overview_solutions/taxi/taxi.flash.html#chapter=1

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Autobahn

They are cheaper than any other car (maybe not the 7 series).

Take for example the E-Class. It is not that much more expensive than say a Passat in one of the lower engines (E220 CDI/ E200CDI) and the Classsic or Elegance trim level. Then there's the factory-installed Taxi package including Taxameter in the rear-view mirror, Navigation, Emergency call system, plus 24/7 Taxi support and guaranteed exchange vehicles. Stuff that would cost you quite some money to get afterwards. The taxi package also contains some durable faux leather I guess, because all the MB Taxis I have been in lately (a lot!) had that.

After 300.000-500.000 kms you can still sell an E-Class to Eastern Europe for a good price. A passat will earn you way less in resale. And short of regular maintenance there is not much that you have to do during these 500k kilometers, as the cars are pretty dependable when not equipped with all the gizzmos you don't need. Also the "Taxi" engines hold up quite well normally, which is the case while the E-Class is still a very popular Taxi vehicle in Germany, Switzerland but also in Greece and other countries. They also offer adequate comfort on the rear seats.

When I was in Greece last week I took a Taxi from the hotel to the airport. It was an 2005 Opel Vectra 2.2. DTI . The owner / operator, who also owns 2 E-Classes told me that this was the most expensive "experiment" he ever made. Because the Opel, at 511.000 kms already blew 4 Turbos who cost him more than 2000 Euros to replace each. Also, he will not be able to sell the car to anybody because nobody (not even the guys who export them to Africa) want the car, whereas he can sell his E-Classes at any time. He said in the long run over the 4 years he had the Opel, it cost him about 4000 Euros more to buy, run and maintain than the E-Classes he has.

Pommes-T

Quote from: Autobahn on June 27, 2009, 12:01:11 AM
They are cheaper than any other car (maybe not the 7 series).

Take for example the E-Class. It is not that much more expensive than say a Passat in one of the lower engines (E220 CDI/ E200CDI) and the Classsic or Elegance trim level. Then there's the factory-installed Taxi package including Taxameter in the rear-view mirror, Navigation, Emergency call system, plus 24/7 Taxi support and guaranteed exchange vehicles. Stuff that would cost you quite some money to get afterwards. The taxi package also contains some durable faux leather I guess, because all the MB Taxis I have been in lately (a lot!) had that.

After 300.000-500.000 kms you can still sell an E-Class to Eastern Europe for a good price. A passat will earn you way less in resale. And short of regular maintenance there is not much that you have to do during these 500k kilometers, as the cars are pretty dependable when not equipped with all the gizzmos you don't need. Also the "Taxi" engines hold up quite well normally, which is the case while the E-Class is still a very popular Taxi vehicle in Germany, Switzerland but also in Greece and other countries. They also offer adequate comfort on the rear seats.

When I was in Greece last week I took a Taxi from the hotel to the airport. It was an 2005 Opel Vectra 2.2. DTI . The owner / operator, who also owns 2 E-Classes told me that this was the most expensive "experiment" he ever made. Because the Opel, at 511.000 kms already blew 4 Turbos who cost him more than 2000 Euros to replace each. Also, he will not be able to sell the car to anybody because nobody (not even the guys who export them to Africa) want the car, whereas he can sell his E-Classes at any time. He said in the long run over the 4 years he had the Opel, it cost him about 4000 Euros more to buy, run and maintain than the E-Classes he has.

That's true. Even in palestinian cities there were old W123 and 124 E-classes everywhere. Especially Taxis. Same in the lebanon (even older ones here). If I tell a Taxi driver in the lebanon or even in Greece that I'm from germany, the first thing they will answer me is how great Mercedes cars are. And then that they have an uncle/brother/whatever in Frankfurt (or any other german city)...  :cheers:
'00 BMW 523i