M vs. 5-series

Started by TBR, May 05, 2005, 10:17:08 PM

TBR

Pretty self explanitory. I didn't do a poll because votes without explanations aren't very constructive.

Anyway, I personally think that the M is almost as good as the 5-series, but really isn't quite there. However, the Infiniti's price advantage, aggressive yet classy styling, and good ergonomics make it my choice.

Also, let's try to have a reasonable debate with no name calling, personal attacks, etc

Catman

I agree.  I think I'd go M simply based on price.  The M45 is probably priced the same as a 6 cyl 5 Series.  

ifcar

QuotePretty self explanitory. I didn't do a poll because votes without explanations aren't very constructive.

Anyway, I personally think that the M is almost as good as the 5-series, but really isn't quite there. However, the Infiniti's price advantage, aggressive yet classy styling, and good ergonomics make it my choice.

Also, let's try to have a reasonable debate with no name calling, personal attacks, etc
You don't have to worry about that, we don't have trolls from either side in the discussion.

Anyway, others have basically said it. The M is as good as or better than the 5-Series, and when price is factored in, that's the end of any comparison.  

FlatBlackCaddy

I think the M takes a real good run after the 5 series.

If i was in the market for a automatic sport sedan i'd say M hands down.

However anyone looking for a true(balls to the wall) sport sedan will probobly end up with the bimmer.  I personally don't think the M can fully compete with with the 5er until it offers a manual with the V-8 and sports package.  

ifcar

QuoteI think the M takes a real good run after the 5 series.

However anyone looking for a true(balls to the wall) sport sedan will probobly end up with the bimmer.  I personally don't think the M can fully compete with with the 5er until it offers a manual with the V-8 and sports package.
You could possibly pay someone part of the $20,000 (probably more, not checking out the actual prices) that you save by chosing the Infiniti to put in some sort of manual transmission.

FlatBlackCaddy

However anyone looking for a true(balls to the wall) sport sedan will probobly end up with the bimmer.  I personally don't think the M can fully compete with with the 5er until it offers a manual with the V-8 and sports package.
You could possibly pay someone part of the $20,000 (probably more, not checking out the actual prices) that you save by chosing the Infiniti to put in some sort of manual transmission.
Now your just being a smarta**. :angry:

Why?

If I had unlimited funds, I would choose the BMW. But the Infiniti is a very good car, especially for someone who doesn't want to blow all his money on a car. I think the M is prolly 90% of the BMW.

I would also suggest that a manual transmission would be a big selling point for people looking to buy a car in this category.

Laconian

The panache of the BMW logo might be enough for some people to go with the 5-series. Once you make an emotional commitment, no amount of reason will disuade you.

Personally, I would have to drive them back to back. Sure, the M45 has a V8 while the comparably priced 5er would have an I6, but I appreciate a supple chassis more than a huge engine once I get over the novelty of straightline acceleration. A V8 might be a little too thirsty for my tastes.

I am crossing my fingers that I'll have the good fortune to be stuck in this dillemma a couple years from now :)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BMWDave

I think that these are both such great cars that it comes down to brand loyalty, or the prestige of the brand.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

I like the 5er better, mainly due to "on paper" things like lower weight and available 6MT. Only a drive in both could tell me for sure of course, but most comparisons have them both as really good performers, with the M35/45 as being the better deal.

NomisR

One big thing I don't like about the M35/45 is the center console.  It looks and feels too much like something from a cheap Sci-Fi b-movie from the 70-80s.  When I first saw it at the Los Angeles Car show, my first thought was "OMG, it's the command center of a space ship!"

ifcar

QuoteOne big thing I don't like about the M35/45 is the center console.  It looks and feels too much like something from a cheap Sci-Fi b-movie from the 70-80s.  When I first saw it at the Los Angeles Car show, my first thought was "OMG, it's the command center of a space ship!"
I don't love it either. However, I really dislike the 5's dash, so that's not an issue for me just between the two, as I still prefer the Infiniti.  

TBR

However anyone looking for a true(balls to the wall) sport sedan will probobly end up with the bimmer.  I personally don't think the M can fully compete with with the 5er until it offers a manual with the V-8 and sports package.
There is a 12k difference between the two when comparably equipped.

TBR

I agree that a manual would be a good idea, but the M does have a sport package.

Fire It Up

Lets see. The M45 is muscular looking, filled with luxury goodies, powerful, and less expensive than the 5. The 5 looks weird, is more expensive, but it has a manual. But the M has a sport auto. Good enough. So thats a M45 > 5 Series for me.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Speed_Racer

I consider the M to be way more easy on the eyes than the 5er.

But, throw in content, quality, and enough oomph for less $$$ (comparatively for a similarly optioned car) makes the M a winner in my eyes.

SaleenS7

Oh... for a second I thought you guys were talking about the M5! LoL :D  
Saleen S7[/size][/font]

If you're gonna push it, push it HARD!