Formula 1 rebellion.

Started by 565, June 19, 2009, 06:59:15 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=150886

Kinda cool, I hope they come up with a series with less rules and regulations.  Screw close competitive racing, I want to see them make the most amazing machine to ever lap a racetrack.

the Teuton

Some great technologies have come from F1 like HANS and KERS, but that's just it; F1 is supposed to be about pushing the boundaries of technology to make a better car.

There are too many restrictions on the series as we speak.  I do hope this creates a new playground for the sport.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Sigma Projects

less restrictions make me think of WRC Group B, man i wished that series lasted longer :(

Or like the unlimited class for the Pikes Peak challenge. Cars like these are produced
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

FoMoJo

Good.  Mosley is an idiot.  If F1 is to remain at the pinnacle of motorsport, it cannot compromise on cost.  Mosley's stupidity has reduced the current F1 to just another spec series.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Middle_Path

The FIA sucks. I hope the FOTA group of eight separate teams create their own league. Ecclestone and Moslely SUCK!.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Galaxy

Yes that worked so well with Indycar racing

hotrodalex

Quote from: Sigma Projects on June 20, 2009, 01:53:36 AM
less restrictions make me think of WRC Group B, man i wished that series lasted longer :(

Or like the unlimited class for the Pikes Peak challenge. Cars like these are produced

Gran Turismo 3 would not be the same without it. :wub:

S204STi

Quote from: Middle_Path on June 20, 2009, 06:24:04 AM
The FIA sucks. I hope the FOTA group of eight separate teams create their own league. Ecclestone and Moslely SUCK!.

+1.

Looks like Prodrive will field an entry in the new league, can't wait to see how they do.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on June 20, 2009, 08:35:48 AM

With such iconic and long-lived teams, ones that helped start the series in the first place, leaving it makes me feel like this could work.

r0tor

good... the Bernie and Max show was just a political cartoon anyway
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on June 20, 2009, 08:35:48 AM

CART (Indycar) is/was a pretty different environment from F1.  In fact, this rebellion is almost opposite to the scenario in which IRL was split from CART.  The split between CART and IRL wasn't caused by the teams being upset by the sanctioning body, it was because Tony George (president of Indy Motor Speedway) had a number of gripes with CART.  Chief among them was that CART was getting to be too expensive and technology driven like F1.  George envisioned a lower cost series (the exact opposite reason the factory teams are wanting to split from F1 right now).  Thus, when he failed to buy the CART series, he decided to just start his own series and take the Indy 500 with him.  When IRL first spun off from CART, most of the big name teams stuck with CART and IRL had a bunch of second string CART teams that were struggling to keep up in that series and decided they'd have a better shot in the new IRL series.

Other reasons George wanted to break away from CART:

-George didn't like the fact that there were few American drivers in the CART series and felt there wasn't enough opportunity for American-born drivers.
-George wanted fewer road courses and more ovals.
-George believed that because the Indy 500 was CART's flagship event, the event deserved special treatment over other races in the series.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

I have mixed feelings on this.  I love the technology, sounds and performance of these cars but the racing is often somewhat lame and the number of teams is low. 

Raza

Races where one team constantly dominates are boring.  That's why F1 during Schumacher's time was...boring. 

Sebastian Vettel won this past race.  Who the fuck is he?  He's not Raikkonen or Hamilton, that's for sure.  Hell, and Mark Webber got second!  This is the first time I've seen a race where he wasn't at the back of the ranks. 

Sounds like the big names whining that they aren't the front of the pack every time now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on June 22, 2009, 07:04:24 PM
Races where one team constantly dominates are boring.  That's why F1 during Schumacher's time was...boring. 

Sebastian Vettel won this past race.  Who the fuck is he?  He's not Raikkonen or Hamilton, that's for sure.  Hell, and Mark Webber got second!  This is the first time I've seen a race where he wasn't at the back of the ranks. 

Sounds like the big names whining that they aren't the front of the pack every time now.

I don't mind that the less prominent teams are winning.  That they are doing it through innovation -- and innovative interpretation of the rules -- makes it very interesting.  That they also have the brightest minds in F1 -- Ross Brawn (for Brawn) and Adrian Newey (for Red Bull) -- means that the bigger (better financed) teams can only catch up by spending shitloads of money in research and development and testing.  Putting a cap on spending will make that impossible.  However, the most ridiculous proposal that Mosley put forth was to have a spec engine (Cosworth) that all teams must use.  How can Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, BMW accept that?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!