My Aunt Bought a Car

Started by Raza , August 14, 2005, 01:31:45 PM

Raza

What are you going to do? You remember my aunt dilemma from C&D, don't you?  She wanted an SUV.  I told her to buy a wagon.  

Then she decided on a sedan, and went all over town looking for one.  

She bought her car and took delivery yesterday.  She bought a Toyota Camry V6 with the sport stuff all on it.

What are you going to do?  Someone asks you for advice on what car to buy and they buy the one car that you tell them absolutely not to buy?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

There is nothing wrong with the Camry, even if it isn't a car you would buy yourself.

Raza

QuoteThere is nothing wrong with the Camry, even if it isn't a car you would buy yourself.
There's plenty wrong with it.  I told her to get an Accord instead.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteWhat are you going to do? You remember my aunt dilemma from C&D, don't you?  She wanted an SUV.  I told her to buy a wagon.  

She bought her car and took delivery yesterday.  She bought a Toyota Camry V6 with the sport stuff all on it.

What are you going to do?  Someone asks you for advice on what car to buy and they buy the one car that you tell them absolutely not to buy?
Happens to me all the time. And it looks as though the woman I wrote about in my car-shopping article will also just go ahead and buy the Camry. She told me that the only reason she was still considering anything else was (verbatim): "If I buy the Camry, anything that goes wrong is my fault. If I buy something that you tell me to get, anything bad is your fault."

Not really much you can do, except maybe get some extended experience with the car. It sounds as though she bought the SE version, which has the 3.3-liter V6 and a slightly firmer suspension.  

Raza

QuoteWhat are you going to do? You remember my aunt dilemma from C&D, don't you?  She wanted an SUV.  I told her to buy a wagon. 

She bought her car and took delivery yesterday.  She bought a Toyota Camry V6 with the sport stuff all on it.

What are you going to do?  Someone asks you for advice on what car to buy and they buy the one car that you tell them absolutely not to buy?
Happens to me all the time. And it looks as though the woman I wrote about in my car-shopping article will also just go ahead and buy the Camry. She told me that the only reason she was still considering anything else was (verbatim): "If I buy the Camry, anything that goes wrong is my fault. If I buy something that you tell me to get, anything bad is your fault."

Not really much you can do, except maybe get some extended experience with the car. It sounds as though she bought the SE version, which has the 3.3-liter V6 and a slightly firmer suspension.
It should be better than the V6 I drove, but still...

When she comes buy, though, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about how disappointed I am with her decision.  It'll be better that way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Is it the 190 HP version?

ifcar

QuoteWhat are you going to do? You remember my aunt dilemma from C&D, don't you?  She wanted an SUV.  I told her to buy a wagon. 

She bought her car and took delivery yesterday.  She bought a Toyota Camry V6 with the sport stuff all on it.

What are you going to do?  Someone asks you for advice on what car to buy and they buy the one car that you tell them absolutely not to buy?

It should be better than the V6 I drove, but still...

When she comes buy, though, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about how disappointed I am with her decision.  It'll be better that way.
Absolutely, especially as she is a family member. Definitely ask for some driving time as well, if she'll trust you.  

TBR

I believe the SE has 225 hp and there is no longer a 190hp Camry V6, but the LE and XLE only make 210hp.

Tom

Look on the bright side:  she didn't get an SUV.  Why didn't she out of curiosity?  Gas expense?  Size and bad manuverability?

Raza

QuoteIs it the 190 HP version?
I believe it's the 210bhp model, the V6 SE.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteI believe the SE has 225 hp and there is no longer a 190hp Camry V6, but the LE and XLE only make 210hp.
Under SAE, the 3.0-liter makes 190 hp and the 3.3-liter makes 210.  

Secret Chimp

Hell, MY aunt just bought a 2005 Impala rent-a-car from Enterprise and she didn't ask anybody about anything =P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI believe the SE has 225 hp and there is no longer a 190hp Camry V6, but the LE and XLE only make 210hp.
I don't think so. According to the new standard the top engine gets 210 HP, and the normal one gets 190 HP.

Raza

QuoteLook on the bright side:  she didn't get an SUV.  Why didn't she out of curiosity?  Gas expense?  Size and bad manuverability?
Me, at least I'd like to think so.  I thought I made headway about convincing her about the perils of SUVs, with gas and bad weather, and high centers of gravity, but all in all I think price is what did her in more than anything.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteHell, MY aunt just bought a 2005 Impala rent-a-car from Enterprise and she didn't ask anybody about anything =P
I'll bet it wasn't much more than half the price of the Camry.  :D  

Raza

I like Impalas.
<_<  :(  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteI like Impalas.
I never understoof the problem with me. I have been in several and they seem nice enough. I like the Malibu better though, which I had a lot of experience with last year as a rental.

TBR

Wow, that was quite a change.

ifcar

QuoteI like Impalas.
Really? Why?

Raza

QuoteI like Impalas.
<_<  :(
Really? Why?
I like the way they look, and the interior isn't that bad, and it doesn't drive that bad, and it brings back good memories.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

why ask your advice if she doesn't follow it?

ifcar

QuoteI like Impalas.
<_<  :(
Really? Why?
I like the way they look, and the interior isn't that bad, and it doesn't drive that bad, and it brings back good memories.
The interior is decidedly "that bad", and it doesn't ride or handle especially well either. <_<  

BMWDave

I am going to have a similar situation in a few years, or perhaps a lot sooner.  My aunt keeps pouring in money into her 10+ year old Acura Legend...its not that money is an issue, its not at all, but she just doesnt want to go through the hassle of buying a new car.

She was looking at a 3er, but they didnt have one just as she wanted (which is some crazy trim, like a navi with a casette deck), so she didnt buy anything.  I suppose she will be choosing between a TL, new 3er, 5er, or RL if I can drag her over to the dealership.

But aunts can be irrational sometimes :D

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI am going to have a similar situation in a few years, or perhaps a lot sooner.  My aunt keeps pouring in money into her 10+ year old Acura Legend...its not that money is an issue, its not at all, but she just doesnt want to go through the hassle of buying a new car.

She was looking at a 3er, but they didnt have one just as she wanted (which is some crazy trim, like a navi with a casette deck), so she didnt buy anything.  I suppose she will be choosing between a TL, new 3er, 5er, or RL if I can drag her over to the dealership.

I love your new sig, Dave.  Best one you've ever had.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI am going to have a similar situation in a few years, or perhaps a lot sooner.  My aunt keeps pouring in money into her 10+ year old Acura Legend...its not that money is an issue, its not at all, but she just doesnt want to go through the hassle of buying a new car.

She was looking at a 3er, but they didnt have one just as she wanted (which is some crazy trim, like a navi with a casette deck), so she didnt buy anything.  I suppose she will be choosing between a TL, new 3er, 5er, or RL if I can drag her over to the dealership.

Thank you very much :)  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI am going to have a similar situation in a few years, or perhaps a lot sooner.  My aunt keeps pouring in money into her 10+ year old Acura Legend...its not that money is an issue, its not at all, but she just doesnt want to go through the hassle of buying a new car.

She was looking at a 3er, but they didnt have one just as she wanted (which is some crazy trim, like a navi with a casette deck), so she didnt buy anything.  I suppose she will be choosing between a TL, new 3er, 5er, or RL if I can drag her over to the dealership.

It's very nice, just too wide.  

Raghavan

not as wide as the last one.

BMWDave

QuoteI am going to have a similar situation in a few years, or perhaps a lot sooner.? My aunt keeps pouring in money into her 10+ year old Acura Legend...its not that money is an issue, its not at all, but she just doesnt want to go through the hassle of buying a new car.

She was looking at a 3er, but they didnt have one just as she wanted (which is some crazy trim, like a navi with a casette deck), so she didnt buy anything.? I suppose she will be choosing between a TL, new 3er, 5er, or RL if I can drag her over to the dealership.

Its the same width, the other one was just a lot taller.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

The other one was too wide as well, at least for my settings.  

Raghavan

no, your previous sig went off the page, this one doesn't.