Car Waxing Day...

Started by r0tor, July 01, 2009, 01:10:56 PM

r0tor

So I decided to take today off and wax the good 'ol car.   I decided to give the new Turtle Wax Black Box a try over my usual Meguiars NXT.  The black box is designed specifically for black cars and comes with blak died cleaner wax, carnuba wax, and detail spray.  Between washing, clay baring the hood, roof, and trunk, then the cleaner wax, and final waxing it took a good 3 hours working like crazy.

The overall results are pretty good.  The black wax does do a good job at hiding all my nicks and chips from my car's 6 years of daily driving - which was why I really wanted to give it a shot.  The overall shine is acceptable but I don't think its up to NXT levels.  I might go over it with nxt later if I have some spare time.

One note... if you use the black box stuff use gloves, wear old clothing, and plan on throwing away your towels or rags afterwards because of all the black die.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I also wanted to demonstrate the effectiveness of a circular polarizing lens filter for car photography...

raw unedited camera images... no effect and then 2 different rotational effects

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

mzziaz

Still looks good, 6 years down the road. How long do you plan to keep it?
Cuore Sportivo

r0tor

looking at the poor resale value... it might be sticking with me for a loooooong time

Rich

Have you thought about putting some 15 or 20mm wheel spacers in the rear?

I'd love to see some wider black wheels on it too
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Gorgeous!  Your car looks really nice... puts my 2.5 year old car to shame.  For some reason I've got lots of little wavy looking dents in my front quarter panels... I dunno wtf caused them either.  And some car wash scratches of course... what I get for being a lazy jerk. :rage:

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 01, 2009, 01:38:24 PM
Have you thought about putting some 15 or 20mm wheel spacers in the rear?

I'd love to see some wider black wheels on it too

I've been itching for some 9" wide wheels with a slightly more aggressive offset and maybe 265 width tires... but my wallet always yells at me.

I'm not really into the uber wide wheels that stick out past the wheel wells look though.

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on July 01, 2009, 01:40:59 PM
Gorgeous!  Your car looks really nice... puts my 2.5 year old car to shame.  For some reason I've got lots of little wavy looking dents in my front quarter panels... I dunno wtf caused them either.  And some car wash scratches of course... what I get for being a lazy jerk. :rage:

yea, it sometimes even amazes me how good it looks yet despite it being covered in salt and pounded with salt and road cinders for 1/4 of the year....