Truck for 26' 2500lb sailboat?

Started by Laconian, August 14, 2005, 10:15:44 PM

Laconian

My dad just got a great sailboat, a late 80's MacGregor somethingsomething. We got it thinking that the family's Tribute could tow it to the launch, but unfortunately we overlooked a very important detail. The Tribute's rear diff can not be submersed in water. If it does get submersed, then the mechanic must flush the differential and put new fluid in. Bummer!

Bottom line: we need a truck that can tow it. Something inexpensive, but substantial enough that it won't be jerked around by the heavy load in the back. He towed it once using a friend's Ranger, but the Ranger did a miserable job in the power, braking, and stability departments.

We're thinking something substantial, at least a midsize with a meaty V6. Any suggestions? Any oft-overlooked trucks with rapid depreciation?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SargeMonkey

Hmm, I would look for a 70's big block, I would go GM but thats me, for something that is diffrent go for a camper special silverado, rare but very good for towing, just look for a drop hitck and stick with a 4X4, makes slippery launches easyer, and off-roadings fun.  :D Stay away from old fords after 80, I have never seen one, tells you something, dodge is OK, and desil never hurts, then you can run on biodesil about $0.75 a gallon if made at home. Need a reactor can be made for about $200 or bout for something like $700 for a good one. You will need block, line, and tank heaters for cold weather, same with reactor. Well what else... A jeep wagoner(sp?), big suburban like thing are bad on mileage but very sturdy. And theres no reason to not use a full sized blazer, or duster. Hell if you are going new a used H1 is about $30k and well its a real hummer.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raghavan

Tacoma, or Toyota Truck with the 22re engine. Bulletproof engine.

Secret Chimp

2500 pounds isn't a whole lot, but if a Ranger had problems with it, a little wee-wheel 4 cylinder low-to-the-ground Toyota probably wouldn't do much better.
If you can find a late 80s/early 90s Ford F-150 with the 300 inline-6, those are supposed to be slow but reliable haulers, but anything you can find will probably have a lot of miles and likely be a less stable short-box regular-cab.
A Toyota T100 is kind of a not-small not-big V6 truck that could do the job. There probably aren't many of them around in your area (hell, there are only four on ebaymotors) but they go for cheap for a Toyota. A manual might be hard to find, but an automatic would probably do OK (in terms of strain/longevity) with the load you're looking at.
A well-taken-care-of Cherokee might also work, but later-year models have been high theft/insurance risk in recent years, I believe.
Another option is to shop fleet cars; my uncle has a previous-generation F-150 V6 that used to be a city light truck. Hell, you might look/call around at local dealers and see if they still have old F-150s they're trying to get rid of. That's probably the best age vs. price deal I can think of, if you can find one.
A mid-90s Ram 2500 Cummins turbodiesel came to mind, but that's definitely too much truck for this job. Hey, if you can get a deal on one, why not ;P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

How does one shop for fleet cars specifically?

I like the Cherokee idea, but my father is insistent that we get a pickup and not another SUV.

BMWDave

Laconian, first of all, how much are you willing to spend?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Price range is definitely significant. I'd just go for something easily available, like a mid-90s F-150 or Chevrolet 1500. Not expensive and able to handle a 2,500 lb trailer without any problem.

TBR

I would get a V8 if you could, 2500 lbs isn't much but more power is always better on a steep, slippery boat ramp.

giant_mtb

QuoteI would get a V8 if you could, 2500 lbs isn't much but more power is always better on a steep, slippery boat ramp.
But the more power he has the more of a chance he has of overpowering the wheels and losing traction.

TBR

You don't have to use that power if you don't need to, but it is always good to have it available. Basically, what I am saying is that there is no reason to get a fullsize truck with an I6/V6 simply because a V8 will cost the same used (or almost the same) and in many cases get better fuel economy (for example, the 302 with the 4-speed auto is rated 15/19).

FlatBlackCaddy

Personally i would go straight for a early 90's GM half ton, with the 350 V-8. This probobly your best value, the fords are good too, but in my experiences the Chevy is a overall better truck. The GM will be able to handle that boat with no problem and make a great 2nd vehicle/work truck.  

R33 GT-R

Quote2500 pounds isn't a whole lot, but if a Ranger had problems with it, a little wee-wheel 4 cylinder low-to-the-ground Toyota probably wouldn't do much better.
If you can find a late 80s/early 90s Ford F-150 with the 300 inline-6, those are supposed to be slow but reliable haulers, but anything you can find will probably have a lot of miles and likely be a less stable short-box regular-cab.
A Toyota T100 is kind of a not-small not-big V6 truck that could do the job. There probably aren't many of them around in your area (hell, there are only four on ebaymotors) but they go for cheap for a Toyota. A manual might be hard to find, but an automatic would probably do OK (in terms of strain/longevity) with the load you're looking at.
A well-taken-care-of Cherokee might also work, but later-year models have been high theft/insurance risk in recent years, I believe.
Another option is to shop fleet cars; my uncle has a previous-generation F-150 V6 that used to be a city light truck. Hell, you might look/call around at local dealers and see if they still have old F-150s they're trying to get rid of. That's probably the best age vs. price deal I can think of, if you can find one.
A mid-90s Ram 2500 Cummins turbodiesel came to mind, but that's definitely too much truck for this job. Hey, if you can get a deal on one, why not ;P
I have an 84 with a 22r and I have put 1500 lbs in the bed and towed 4500 pounds with it at the same time.  It has everything to do with the gearing, it's rock solid.  It'll snatch that boat around better than many of the V6 models available.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

R33 GT-R

QuoteMy dad just got a great sailboat, a late 80's MacGregor somethingsomething. We got it thinking that the family's Tribute could tow it to the launch, but unfortunately we overlooked a very important detail. The Tribute's rear diff can not be submersed in water. If it does get submersed, then the mechanic must flush the differential and put new fluid in. Bummer!

Bottom line: we need a truck that can tow it. Something inexpensive, but substantial enough that it won't be jerked around by the heavy load in the back. He towed it once using a friend's Ranger, but the Ranger did a miserable job in the power, braking, and stability departments.

We're thinking something substantial, at least a midsize with a meaty V6. Any suggestions? Any oft-overlooked trucks with rapid depreciation?
From one wheeler to someone that isn't.  You can attach a breather tube to the current hole in your Tributes diff and run it up higher in the undercarriage and you'll never have to worry about water getting in.  It's the best fix plus you don't have to buy another vehicle.

R33 GT-R

footoflead

QuoteI would get a V8 if you could, 2500 lbs isn't much but more power is always better on a steep, slippery boat ramp.
But the more power he has the more of a chance he has of overpowering the wheels and losing traction.
But if you can't get your sorry V6 ass up the ramp then that does you no good either

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

R33 GT-R

If he goes with an older yota he can get 4x4 and it won't matter how slick the ramp is.

R33 GT-R

QuoteLink to give you an example of how to quickly solve your problem.
:rockon: Sounds like that would work just fine...Good find B :rockon:
I did this on my 84 Toyota 4x4 and it puts a stop to having to change rear end lube afer you hear the water whine.

saxonyron

Congrats on the sailboat!  The McGregor is the motor sailer that has a 50 HP outboard and does 35 mph, or you can cruise around the bay under wind power, right?  I hear those are a ton of fun.  My advice to you is to get a full size pickup or SUV.  I've done a ton of trailering and the ongoing tug of war between a 2,500 lb load and a mid-size SUV is amazing.  I've driven both 6 cyl and V8 Grand Cherokees, 6 cyl Cherokee, 4.6L and 5.4 L Expeditions, and a V8 Diesel duallie F-250.  For stability, comfort, safety, etc., there's no comparison.  I have a Compac 19 ft sailboat that weighs 2,300 including trailer.  My Expedition pulls it with total ease.   When pulling it with my Dad's Grand Cherokee V8, the Jeep has plenty of power, but it still gets muscled around on the road by the trailer. Not very relaxing.  Doubly unrelaxing when I throw my horse trailer on with two 1,200 lb nags, totalling 5,000 lbs.  You need the long wheelbase and stiff truck suspension to make it work.  

Of course, if your trailering is short and seldom and you don't mind wagging your tail down the road, do the R33 GT-R breathing hose trick - it'll work fine.  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

JYODER240

No matter what, get 4X4 or AWD. I have seen two RWD trucks slide down a boat ramp and sink. It's a scary sight, I won't even consider pulling a boat from the water if its 2WD.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Laconian

R33,

Thanks for the link. If the SUV were mine I'd do it in a jif, but my mother is hesitant to do anything adventurous to her belongings.

Sax,

Nah, you're thinking of the current lineup of MacGregor boats. I hear those are fun too. The one he got is a 15 year old MacGregor, back when they made true sailboats. They were among the first (if not the first) to use a swing keel, which made them among the first towable larger boats. It's very forgiving for beginning sailors, for example, it naturally turns into the wind when the sails are overpowered, etc. It's not too quick--the Honda outboard is pretty gutless, only makes the boat go about 10 knts--but overall it's a perfect fit for hopping around the San Juan island chain.

Jyoder: thanks for that. My parents were just told that 2WD is fine. I should mention that I've heard otherwise. What were the conditions where you saw this happen?

saxonyron

Sounds like a nice rig you have.  And 10 MPH under motor power in a sailboat is great!  My 5 HP Nissan just might get me up to 10, and it damn near feels like we're planing!   :lol: Besides, the tiller fights back on my boat at such blurring speeds.

I second jyoder regarding the 4 wd.  Some ramps are steep, wet and slippery.  2 wd I think would work fine until you got to that one killer ramp.  It would be too humiliating to have another guy at the launch pull you out.  Especially the nasty fat gold-chain wearing owner of the cigarette boat next to you.  You already know what they think of us sailors!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Laconian

Oh dear, it's a gorgeous day and we're taking the boat out with the Ranger again. 45mph on the interstate, oh joy, oh rapture!

Thanks for the advice everybody. My father was not pleased to hear about the 4X4 requirement, as if it confirmed his worse fears. The braking and road stability issues necessitate the purchase of a heavier vehicle (apparently a Jeep Grand Cherokee isn't enough, according to a coworker of mine!!).

Anybody know anything about the Dodge Dakota? There's one on sale near my street. I know it can be had with a thirsty V8 from the stone age, but is the vehicle classified as a midsize or a compact?

footoflead

QuoteOh dear, it's a gorgeous day and we're taking the boat out with the Ranger again. 45mph on the interstate, oh joy, oh rapture!

Thanks for the advice everybody. My father was not pleased to hear about the 4X4 requirement, as if it confirmed his worse fears. The braking and road stability issues necessitate the purchase of a heavier vehicle (apparently a Jeep Grand Cherokee isn't enough, according to a coworker of mine!!).

Anybody know anything about the Dodge Dakota? There's one on sale near my street. I know it can be had with a thirsty V8 from the stone age, but is the vehicle classified as a midsize or a compact?
The dakota is a wanna-be truck :D save yourself the trouble and get a REAL truck. If thats an option

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

The Dakota has just as much juice as a fullsizer, but it won't be as stable (should still be much better than the Ranger).

Laconian

Indeed. Saw a few Dakotas at the launch and they looked barely adequate. I'll look at fleet Silverados.

Anybody know how well the V6 in the F-150 and the Silverado tows? They're big for six cylinder engines, and I know that displacement => torque => towing capacity.

Laconian

Okey dokey, I'm resurrecting this thread for a quick check of opinion.

Black 1990 Ford F250, V8, 101k miles, Long Bed, 5spd, 4x4, power everything, canopy, bed liner: $4750

Having so few miles on a 15 year old truck makes us think it was lightly used. The couple that owns it are both Microsofties, so they probably have a total of five to ten hours in the year with which they can take it out.

What do you guys think? We're thinking we could bid as low as $5k for this. We'll probably be checking into it tonight. Any trouble spots I should be paying attention to?

Listing URL

Raghavan

TBR

Raghavan

Quote$5k seems high, try $4k.
it looks like it's in good condition though.