Biking on the Sidewalk

Started by Ron From Regina, May 12, 2005, 07:44:14 AM

Ron From Regina

Nice site guys. I thought I'd post here for something new.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

My wife has started a new job where her place of employement requires her to use a busy road to get there. There are no backroads available.

Further, since the railway managed to loose my new car (although it was just found, and is on its way again) we are down to 1 car now as we sold the other one. Therefore, she has been riding her bike to work.

The kicker is, under city bylaws, it is illegal to ride your bike on a sidewalk. You must ride on the road way, with traffic, just like if you were driving a car. The road has no shoulder, or bike lanes. Just lanes of traffic, then the curb for the sidewalk.

However, in my opinion, riding on the street is more dangerous to her, than the danger presented to people walking on the sidewalk, if she were to ride her bike there. She agrees with me.

In the end, I told her to ride on the sidewalk, but be courteuos to people walking, giving them the right of way. If she gets a ticket(s), I told her I would pay for them, as I would rather pay for a few tickets, than a funeral.

Thoughts on this? I had this discussion with a few people at work yesterday, and found that people were pretty divided on the issue.  

MX793

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk just about anywhere, as it's illegal to operate vehicles on pedestrain walkways and a bicycle is technically classified as a vehicle.

That said, I see a lot of folks riding bikes on the sidewalk and generally nobody cares.  Can't say I've ever seen a cop yell at someone for it.  I doubt you'd get ticketed unless the cop was a real jerk.  She'd likely just get a warning not to ride on the sidewalk.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

How did they lose your car?!

Ron From Regina

QuoteHow did they lose your car?!
I am not sure. It was supposed to arive in Regina on april 25. The computer said it was here, but it never showed up. As of the other day, they found it sitting in a mixing yard in Michigan. Last I heard, they have "Remedied" the problem. I assume that means the car is on its way again. It had something to do with a quality check they did on it, and when it came out of line, it never got back into the right one.

NomisR

Well, if she were to ride on the sidewalk, I hope she rides as the same direction with traffic at least.  I almost had a biker ran into my car if I moved 1 inch forward once.  Here's the story.

It was around 11-12 at night, on an empty street.  I was about to make a right turn at the night but my light was red.  So I rolled up to the line, checked to make sure that no cars were coming.  I already saw that there was no pedestrians so I should be clear to go and I was looking at my left to make sure there was no on coming car.  But to my right, there comes a blazing fast biker with no lights on, no reflective gear, dressed in dark colors coming down and raced in front of me crossing the street.  Good thing I saw him before I proceeded forward or else I would've either hit him or he hits me.  Now if he was actually traveling on the same side of traffic, I would've seen him a long time ago.  However, because he was traveling at a high speed against traffic at night, it was difficult to see him and would have caused an accident at that time.

A question for the LEOs though, if he were to hit me or I were to hit him in this situation, who would be at fault?  He was traveling on the sidewalk against traffic by the way.  

Catman

Riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is almost always regulated by local bylaw or ordinance.  There are some police departmants that enforce it and many more that don't.  I think it really comes down to how many pedestrians are on the sidewalks.  If I were you, I'd call a couple of the local bike shops and ask them what they know in regards to enforcement.  Also, if you see an LEO on the street ask them their opinion on the matter.  You're more apt to get a straight answer on the street than on a recorded line to the police station where you'll probably just get the official by-the-book response.  Those two options should get you some solid info.  Regardless, always yield to pedestrians.  Welcome to the forums Ron! B)  

Ron From Regina

Thanks Catman. Thats good advice.

I have brothers in the RCMP. I talked to him on the phone last night, and his response was ,  "That would be a real unlikely ticket. I doubt anyone would waste their time on it." (We swear alot in my family for some reason. I had to delete a few other words from that quote.) :) Although its Regina City police who would enforce this bylaw, he said the towns he works out of have simular bylaws, and he's never seen a ticket for it.  He said occasionaly, if the see someone not respecting pedestrians, the will talk to them, but a ticket has never been issued.

Anyway, as it stands, I'm going to just leave it. Like I said above, if she gets any tickets, I'll pay them. I would rather pay a few tickets than have her at increased risk of being run over.

NomisR

QuoteRiding a bicycle on a sidewalk is almost always regulated by local bylaw or ordinance.  There are some police departmants that enforce it and many more that don't.  I think it really comes down to how many pedestrians are on the sidewalks.  If I were you, I'd call a couple of the local bike shops and ask them what they know in regards to enforcement.  Also, if you see an LEO on the street ask them their opinion on the matter.  You're more apt to get a straight answer on the street than on a recorded line to the police station where you'll probably just get the official by-the-book response.  Those two options should get you some solid info.  Regardless, always yield to pedestrians.  Welcome to the forums Ron! B)
Catman, what about my question? :P

L. ed foote

FWIW, in the Metro NY area, when biking, I ride on the street.  I do try to use paths, and areas where there isn't much vehicular traffic when possible
Member, Self Preservation Society

Catman

QuoteRiding a bicycle on a sidewalk is almost always regulated by local bylaw or ordinance.  There are some police departmants that enforce it and many more that don't.  I think it really comes down to how many pedestrians are on the sidewalks.  If I were you, I'd call a couple of the local bike shops and ask them what they know in regards to enforcement.  Also, if you see an LEO on the street ask them their opinion on the matter.  You're more apt to get a straight answer on the street than on a recorded line to the police station where you'll probably just get the official by-the-book response.  Those two options should get you some solid info.  Regardless, always yield to pedestrians.  Welcome to the forums Ron! B)
Sorry Nomis.  Your whole scenario depends on local laws.  If it was to happen in my town the biker would be at fault.  We have state laws that require bicycles to ride with traffic and have lights at night.  While these laws are rarely enforced or even accepted by most municipalities they can be used to lay blame.  The acceptance part has to due with being able to levy fines.  It doesn't negate the laws.

NomisR

QuoteRiding a bicycle on a sidewalk is almost always regulated by local bylaw or ordinance.? There are some police departmants that enforce it and many more that don't.? I think it really comes down to how many pedestrians are on the sidewalks.? If I were you, I'd call a couple of the local bike shops and ask them what they know in regards to enforcement.? Also, if you see an LEO on the street ask them their opinion on the matter.? You're more apt to get a straight answer on the street than on a recorded line to the police station where you'll probably just get the official by-the-book response.? Those two options should get you some solid info.? Regardless, always yield to pedestrians.? Welcome to the forums Ron! B)
Sorry Nomis.  Your whole scenario depends on local laws.  If it was to happen in my town the biker would be at fault.  We have state laws that require bicycles to ride with traffic and have lights at night.  While these laws are rarely enforced or even accepted by most municipalities they can be used to lay blame.  The acceptance part has to due with being able to levy fines.  It doesn't negate the laws.
Thanks!!   :D  :lol:  

At least I know that if the guy hits my car, he'd be in the wrong, but I rather not have that happen though.

GMPenguin

QuoteI'm pretty sure it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk just about anywhere, as it's illegal to operate vehicles on pedestrain walkways and a bicycle is technically classified as a vehicle.

That said, I see a lot of folks riding bikes on the sidewalk and generally nobody cares.  Can't say I've ever seen a cop yell at someone for it.  I doubt you'd get ticketed unless the cop was a real jerk.  She'd likely just get a warning not to ride on the sidewalk.
I think it is too, I'm pretty sure the Missouri Driver Guide even says that.  But I ride my bike on sidewalks (usually only Main Street actually) and I've never gotten in trouble.

Fire It Up

Ha...in my town people ride their bikes on the road. Some (stupid) kids even ride their BMX's down our half-highway.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

mazda6er

I've always thought that was a stupid law. If you're a pedestrian and you get smacked by a person riding a bike, unless you've got like one and a half feet in the grave, you're gonna be okay. Getting hit by a car on the other hand, you're gonna be seriously effed up. You're doing the right thing Ron, but is getting a rental an option?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer