2010 Jaguar XJ

Started by omicron, July 09, 2009, 08:02:43 AM

omicron

It's not supposed to be unveiled until early Friday morning Australian time, but the leaks are coming from left, right and centre.

The Netcarshow wallpaper website has risked Jaguar's wrath and gained notoriety by posting several of the official images of the new XJ model, a crucial model for the prestige brand.

The images, which were supposed to be removed, have spread like swine flu across the Internet appearing on thousands of websites from Albuquerque to Zurich.

With a mild resemblance to the Jaguar XF model, which has done wonders for the Jaguar brand, the all-new XJ is the flagship vehicle in the leaping cat range. It will compete against cars like the BMW 7 Series, Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Audi A8, both in terms of interior space and outright luxury.

Officially due to be released on Thursday July 9 in the Saatchi Gallery at 8.30pm London time, by car fiend Jay Leno and Jaguar's managing director Mike O'Driscoll, the cat is now out of the bag, so to speak.

While the in-depth details are still not known (stay tuned for the full details on Friday), we do know that the new model is the first in the Jaguar range to feature an 'aerospace-inspired aluminium body architecture' which should make it relatively light, at least for a luxo barge.

Furthermore Jaguar's meaner and greener Gen III petrol and diesel powerplants will be offered, which the Carsales Network sampled recently at the XFR launch. The twin turbo V6 diesel will be one to watch out for and could prove to be a thorn in the side of Jaguar's German rivals, such is its refinement (read more here).

Another engine that has been confirmed is the supercharged V8, which should provide the range-topping Jaguar XJ models with enough acceleration to keep Mercedes-Benz big bruisers honest.

Jaguar will offer the XJ in both standard and long wheelbase models and we also know that the Indian-owned British brand will offer a panoramic glass roof.

We won't comment on the design too much at this stage because these are leaked images and not of the highest or cleanest quality, suffice to say, however, that it's big departure from XJs of old.

More like the XF and with some impressive design cues, the new XJ is sufficiently grandiose and it's fair to say that Ian Callum, Jaguar's director of design, has earned his keep. Stay tuned for more.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/prestige-and-luxury/jaguar/xj/jaguars-xj-exposed-15783

Colin

Those images are of the real thing.

I think it is stunning.

Lest there be any doubt, let me repeat again that I think it is a fantastic piece of design.

Having castigated Jag in the past for sticking with an old design style, I'm amazed to see how many people in the UK Fora are now moaning that it "does not look like a Jaguar of yore" and therefore rubbishing it.......... i thought that was the whole point.

The old XJ drove well, but looked "old school"..... if this drives at least as well, looking like that, it will be a beltingly good car.

One of these or an S Class, or a 7 or even an A8? No contest.......... (sorry CW!!).   

Galaxy

Some elements remind me of the Quattroporte, especially the front/side.

CALL_911

Looks like a Citroen (whose model name I cannot remember for the life of me).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

nickdrinkwater

Was going to post but you beat me to it!  That looks pretty awesome.  I've been eagerly anticipating this car and I'm not disappointed.  It's aggressive and looks like nothing else in its class.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the c-pillar design.  But I love the nose, it's how the XF should have looked.  Now I'm beginning to think they messed up the XF on purpose so this would look better!

Bring on the interior shots now!  Any word on engines?

nickdrinkwater

chevyguy06

Wow, I'm loving it..absolutely nothing like the old XJ. Here's to hoping Jag can make a small car (3-series fighter) that looks just as good  :cheers:
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Raza

Awful.  Didn't they just put this car out?  But they called it the XF a year ago. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2009, 09:16:39 AM
Awful.  Didn't they just put this car out?  But they called it the XF a year ago. 

Are you joking?  It doesn't really look anything like the XF, except maybe the grille.  Certainly no more alike than a 3 series and 5 series.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19208.msg1107669#msg1107669 date=1247152599

Not a fan of the XF?

I really wanted to hate this, because I loved the old model so much. Now that it's sitting in front of me...........well, I dunno. I'll need some more time.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

It's better-proportioned than the XF; I'll give it that. It looks like a proper RWD sedan, whereas the XF is verging on a nose-heavy FWD look.

What on earth is that Lincoln MKS rear end doing on a Jaguar, for goodness sake, and what is that nonsensical black electrical tape doing on the C-pillar?

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 09, 2009, 09:23:09 AM
Are you joking?  It doesn't really look anything like the XF, except maybe the grille.  Certainly no more alike than a 3 series and 5 series.

I'm joking about the second part.  I'm not joking about the first part.

Although, it does kind of look like a big XF with a Citroen rear end. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mojammer

It's good except the rear.  I'll have to get used to the back end, but I think I'll probably like it in the end.
It does have some quattroporte in the overall shape, which is good imo.  The headlights are better than the XF.

Xer0

It kind of looks like Jag stuck an XF front to the Quattroporte and then ruined the rear.  I'm not liking it as much as I did the XF.  Any interior shots out yet?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 09, 2009, 08:09:20 AM
Looks like a Citroen (whose model name I cannot remember for the life of me).

Thats what I was thinking too. From the rear, it looks like the Citroen C6, with the swept tail lights and odd fastback design. There's a little Bentley Continental GT in there as well. This is one I'll have to see in person before making any conclusive judgements.

Vinsanity

WANT!

although the blacked-out C-pillar looks like an afterthought...

...but still...WANT!

Hachee

I remember some Jag concept that I think was done by Pininfarina back in the late 70s.  For some reason, I never forgot that picture.  I think it was in Road & Track, and was an idea for a replacement of the XJ6.  It was a radical departure, just as this new car is, and I swear, it was very similar to this - I am pretty sure it was a 3-light design in profile.  Of course, the car that replaced the 60s/70s/early 80s  XJ6 in 1986 was a more modern version of its predecessor, but nothing radical as this is.  I'd love to find that picture of that Jag concept, but google is not being my friend.  Anyone (old enough or crazy enough) to remember this car?

CJ

omicron

Quote from: Hachee on July 09, 2009, 11:07:05 AM
I remember some Jag concept that I think was done by Pininfarina back in the late 70s.  For some reason, I never forgot that picture.  I think it was in Road & Track, and was an idea for a replacement of the XJ6.  It was a radical departure, just as this new car is, and I swear, it was very similar to this - I am pretty sure it was a 3-light design in profile.  Of course, the car that replaced the 60s/70s/early 80s  XJ6 in 1986 was a more modern version of its predecessor, but nothing radical as this is.  I'd love to find that picture of that Jag concept, but google is not being my friend.  Anyone (old enough or crazy enough) to remember this car?

?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Hachee on July 09, 2009, 11:07:05 AM

nope. but I did find this:

:wub:

Vinsanity

Quote from: omicron on July 09, 2009, 11:25:20 AM

?

wow, that does look like a reverse-engineered 1970's version of the 2010 model

Colin

That, unless I am very much mistaken, is the Owen Sedanca from about 1973.

There was also a Pininfarina design from a few years later. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Hachee

OMG, Omnicron, how the f did you find that????  That is it.  Clean sides, front and rear, just a bit too tall.  Even then, I didn't think it was great looking, nice though, but I was shocked at the idea of such a design departure, which is of course happening, just 30 years later. 

Hachee

No Colin, he's definitely right. 

68_427

I'm going to miss the current XJ.  Hopefully this will grow on me.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on July 09, 2009, 11:48:53 AM
I'm going to miss the current XJ.  Hopefully this will grow on me.

Cancer, fungus, lice; three things that can also grow on you. 

I'd hope nothing of the sort.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colin

I'm still researching.

Omicron's pictures are not the Owen Sedanca (which was XJ12 based), though it looks similar. Those pics and some other design ideas for the XJ40 feature on the excellent austin-rover.co.uk site

I stand corrected........ it's been a long wait and my brain clearly needed a reboot!

ChrisV

The C pillar blackout trim is questionable, and the taillights could have stopped before wrapping over the top, but all in all, it's an excellent modern sedan. The nose is much more proportional than the XF, and looks quite powerful. That's going to look good coming at you on the road.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

I love it.  It's sexy...just what a Jaguar should be.