Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle
Ford Mustang
Toyota Corolla

CALL_911

1. Beetle
2. Model T
3. 911
4. Mustang
5. RX300 (yes, I know. But it did shape the industry.)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I like most of yours, Vin, but for the sake of not being repetitive:

Corvette
Curved Dash Olds
Toyota Prius
Honda CVCC
Tucker Torpedo
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Ford Model T - Put the country on wheels
Volkswagen GTI MkI - Created the hot hatch segment
Lexus LS400 - Revolutionized the top luxury game
BMW 3 series (E30) - Set the benchmark for sporting luxury sedans
Mini Cooper - Created the premium small car and set the course for a change in rally racing (which then opened the door for the Audi Quattro)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on July 09, 2009, 08:48:11 PM
I like most of yours, Vin, but for the sake of not being repetitive:

Corvette
Curved Dash Olds
Toyota Prius
Honda CVCC
Tucker Torpedo

heh, I was worried that limiting the list to 5 would be repetitive, but those are great choices too!

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2009, 08:50:08 PM
Ford Model T - Put the country on wheels
Volkswagen GTI MkI - Created the hot hatch segment
BMW 3 series (E30) - Set the benchmark for sporting luxury sedans
Mini Cooper - Created the premium small car and set the course for a change in rally racing (which then opened the door for the Audi Quattro)

Pretty sure the original Cooper wasn't really a premium small car.

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 09, 2009, 08:50:49 PM
heh, I was worried that limiting the list to 5 would be repetitive, but those are great choices too!

I could go into some more obscure cars like Scarabs and Cords, but I'll let someone like ChrisV do that for me.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2009, 08:50:08 PM

I originally wanted to put the LS400 on my list ... and apparently there are so many other worthy cars I shamefully overlooked :mask:

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 09, 2009, 08:50:58 PM
Pretty sure the original Cooper wasn't really a premium small car.

Yeah, I kind of ran out of ideas.

I think I meant "classless".  It was rather popular among the different socioeconomic classes, correct?

My mom's dad had one.  Red one.  Washed it every Sunday.  And he was a military man.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

These are mainly in the American market... I don't know how different cars impacted different cultures.

1)Ford Model T. (Tons to say here)
2)60s Ford Mustang. (Got the Pony Car thing started)
3)MG-B (There's a reason people keep trying to remake the classic British sportscar)
4)Honda Accord (Japanese midsizer that changed it all on our side of the world)
5)Subaru WRX (We would never have seen the Evo, R32, or STI, let alone the GTR, if it wasn't for this little guy being such a hit).

the Teuton

Oh heck, I'll do a second list:

-Cord 810 - Became the basis for the Toronado, the first mass-produced FWD car
-Stout Scarab - unibody, first minivan
-Mercedes S Class - almost every technological invention worth a damn in the last 50 years was first put in an S Class
-Chrysler minivans
-Tatra - the 1930s version.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on July 09, 2009, 09:08:41 PM
These are mainly in the American market... I don't know how different cars impacted different cultures.

1)Ford Model T. (Tons to say here)
2)60s Ford Mustang. (Got the Pony Car thing started)
3)MG-B (There's a reason people keep trying to remake the classic British sportscar)
4)Honda Accord (Japanese midsizer that changed it all on our side of the world)
5)Subaru WRX (We would never have seen the Evo, R32, or STI, let alone the GTR, if it wasn't for this little guy being such a hit).

But we'd never have had the WRX were it not for the 2.5RS.  That's a toss-up.  I'd imagine Gran Turismo was more influential on the market decision than anything else, actually.   :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

I'll keep my metaphorical mouth shut, but you know what I think of the 14,000 2.5RSs brought over here.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
But we'd never have had the WRX were it not for the 2.5RS.  That's a toss-up.  I'd imagine Gran Turismo was more influential on the market decision than anything else, actually.   :lol:

Meh... the 2.5RS is really more popular now in retrospect that it was at the time, I think.  The WRX's performance figures are what really got everyone's attention.

SVT666

Ford Model T
Ford Mustang
Ford Explorer
BMW 3 Series
Honda Civic

Onslaught

1964 GTO. To me this started the muscle car thing before the Mustang.
1983 Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager.
1941-45 Willys MB "Jeep" Ok, it's not a car but fuck it.
I'll have to think some more.

Rupert

Model T
the first GTO (no muscle cars w/o it)
Accord (first really popular FWD family type car)
Explorer (I hate to say it, I really do)
the collective British sports cars of the early '60s
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Payman

Some others...
1976 VW Rabbit
Porsche 924
Citroen Traction Avant

nickdrinkwater

No-one has mentioned the McLaren F1.  That was pretty influential in terms of supercars (IMO).

JWC

1-Cadillac: demonstrated the viability of interchangeable parts; introduced the electric starter.
2-Model T: First mass produced and affordable automobile
3-Volkswagen Beetle:  Low cost, reliable, easy maintenance, good gas milage.
4-Honda Civic CVCC:  Met EPA standards without modification; killed the Beetle, affordable, easy to maintain, great gas mileage.
5-First generation Mustang.

omicron

Range Rover
Mini
Ford Model T
Lexus LS400
Ford Mustang

I'm sure there are more that I'll remember later, and will kick myself for not including.

Byteme

Ford Model T
Chevrolet from the mid 20's.  Offered colors and styling that knocked the T from the top.
Ford Mustang
Chrysler Minivan
Japenese invasion of sedans that redefined the daily driver.

ifcar

Model T, Beetle -- reasons would be redundant.

Range Rover -- began the idea of a luxury truck.
Taurus -- changed the shape of the everyday car.
Prius -- driver of fuel economy policy.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 10, 2009, 04:53:06 AM
No-one has mentioned the McLaren F1.  That was pretty influential in terms of supercars (IMO).

Yeah, but even when you're the most influential car among 1% of cars, it's hard to be considered influential against the whole.  The Mclaren F1 was the benchmark for years (and as proven on Top Gear recently, still has some spark left), but really, I can't think of any car that was really affected by its design, other than maybe the Caparo T1.  The car that broke open the top speed was nothing like the F1. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on July 10, 2009, 09:56:07 AM
Yeah, but even when you're the most influential car among 1% of cars, it's hard to be considered influential against the whole.  The Mclaren F1 was the benchmark for years (and as proven on Top Gear recently, still has some spark left), but really, I can't think of any car that was really affected by its design, other than maybe the Caparo T1.  The car that broke open the top speed was nothing like the F1. 

Good point....

SVT666

It could be argued that the Top 5 most influential cars of all time are all...Fords.

1. Ford Model T - No explanation needed
2. Ford Mustang - No explanation needed
3. Ford Explorer - Started the SUV craze
4. Ford Taurus - Redefined the family sedan
5. Ford F-150 - Turned trucks into personal vehicles

Byteme

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2009, 10:13:32 AM
It could be argued that the Top 5 most influential cars of all time are all...Fords.

1. Ford Model T - No explanation needed
2. Ford Mustang - No explanation needed
3. Ford Explorer - Started the SUV craze
4. Ford Taurus - Redefined the family sedan
5. Ford F-150 - Turned trucks into personal vehicles

Did the Explorer start the SUV craze or popularize it.  I think I'd argue the Bronco started it.  Or maybe even the Cherokee.  In either case the Explorer is certainly significant.

SVT666

Quote from: Byteme on July 10, 2009, 10:34:28 AM
Did the Explorer start the SUV craze or popularize it.  I think I'd argue the Bronco started it.  Or maybe even the Cherokee.  In either case the Explorer is certainly significant.
Those vehicles were around before it, but the Explorer started the craze.

Raza

Would we have a Mustang were it not for the GTO? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 10, 2009, 10:38:52 AM
Those vehicles were around before it, but the Explorer started the craze.

It didn't start the craze. It just profited the most from it.