Woosh

Started by CALL_911, July 11, 2009, 05:45:39 PM

CALL_911

So I drove my friend's 9-3 today, and true to what I've heard about turbos, it had this excellent "woosh" sound at around 2.5k or so. I know the VW 1.8T has this, but how come our A4's 2.0T doesn't have any such sound? Same for the BMW (N54), why no "woosh?" Does it have to do with the direct injection, and if so, can you explain that to me?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Speed_Racer

Sound deadening? Size of the turbo? Hi-pressure vs. low-pressure turbos? I'd be interested to know the technical reasons, but those are always to what I've always attributed the presence or lack of woosh.

S204STi

Probably has something to do with sound deadening.   Also, I believe the turbos on the BMW are variable-vane which means they do not have a waste gate.  I believe some of the sound you hear is the waste gate opening slightly to finely control boost pressures, causing that faint whistle or hooting sound that old-style turbo cars like mine, the Saab 2.3T or a Jetta 1.8T make.  Because the variable vane turbo simply varies the pitch of the turbine blades to control turbine speeds, I'm guessing you lose some of those noises.

Raza

My car has it, but it's not as pronounced as on the 1.8T.  I'm assuming it's down to sound deadening. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

... I don't think I've ever driven a car with a turbo... 0_o
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

whoooooppshahawwwww
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Psilos on July 13, 2009, 04:42:29 PM

I've driven turbo diesels...does that count?

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 13, 2009, 04:42:29 PM

You've owned, and I'm ballparking here, 43,617 cars in the past three years and you've never had a turbo?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Oh, c'mon, Raza, it's right there in the sig. :lol:

When you buy shitty old cars, you don't want a turbo.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: Psilos on July 14, 2009, 06:23:34 PM

That's very true!  I wouldn't even want a turbo if the car was otherwise nice, but had over 100K miles.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on July 14, 2009, 09:31:40 PM
That's very true!  I wouldn't even want a turbo if the car was otherwise nice, but had over 100K miles.

And that is why I will make my parents sell the A4 at 96k miles. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Well, 100K is an arbitrary number (some may last 80K, some may last 150K), but you get the point.  It's a wear item, and it's not a cheap repair, nor one you can ignore.  At this point in the game, I want a car with minimal operating costs.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 14, 2009, 06:23:34 PM

Ah, so I was right. 

Turbos are always good.  Everything should be turbocharged.  When Hamilton Beach comes out with a turbocharged blender, I'll be first in line. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

I wasn't much of a turbo fan until I drove a 9-3 Viggen...:wub::wub::wub:

Doodle around in third gear, hit a highway entrance ramp.  When you heard the whoosh, off you went.  It just exploded.  It was fannnnntastic.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on July 14, 2009, 09:31:40 PM

Depending on the car there is frequently aftermarket support which allows for a rebuild rather than a replacement.  Significantly cheaper, and for a car with 100k mi you sort of have to expect big repairs at some point anyway.

But I understand your hesitance.

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on July 15, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
I wasn't much of a turbo fan until I drove a 9-3 Viggen...:wub::wub::wub:

Doodle around in third gear, hit a highway entrance ramp.  When you heard the whoosh, off you went.  It just exploded.  It was fannnnntastic.

I was unable to really let it rip in the one I drove... just doodled around town.  I kinda wish I had though.  At first I was like "wtf this thing is weak" till I was later informed that they limit torque in the first two gears.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on July 15, 2009, 12:55:41 PM
I was unable to really let it rip in the one I drove... just doodled around town.  I kinda wish I had though.  At first I was like "wtf this thing is weak" till I was later informed that they limit torque in the first two gears.

I left behind a 360 when I was driving it.  Cracking little car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i