Test much in Death Valley?

Started by VTEC_Inside, July 12, 2009, 12:40:16 AM

VTEC_Inside

I was in Vegas again last weekend and took a drive out to Death Valley again like I've done every time I'm there.

First time I was ever there (July 2003) I caught 3 Porsche Carrera GT prototypes out testing as they stopped at Badwater. Those pics seemed to spread around the world within a day...

The 2nd time I was there I didn't see anything special, but that was in January (2007) so it wasn't particularly hot.

Last weekend when I was there I pulled up right behind a very lightly concealed BMW X6 while leaving Rhyolite. I didn't even think anything of it at first until my girlfriend pointed out that the BMW badge was covered up in tape. I didn't bother getting pics of it since, well, I didn't care, and that it looked identical to already available pictures of it.

Then while stopped at Badwater again I was taking pictures as this rolls into the parking lot:

Not as special at the GTs for sure, but this still seemed to be doing some sort of test work considering the antenna kinda taped to the roof and some other sort of sensor taped to the top of the fender there on the passenger side.

I know from seeing other pictures that Death Valley is a popular test location, but I couldn't help but laugh a little at the impeccable timing of yet another Porsche pulling into Badwater again at the same time I was there. In both cases the air temp was pushing over 50c+.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...