Rupert's MGB Thread

Started by Rupert, July 13, 2009, 04:44:31 PM

Secret Chimp

I'm going to say it.

This car sucks.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Only when it's not running right.

Oh, right, that's all times. :cry:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Make a video of this problem, please. I need to know more.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

I don't have a video camera, or I would have long ago. :(

I have checked that the dashpots are full, that the timing marks are correct, that no valve springs are broken, that there's nothing rattling around the carbs, and that the rocker assembly is, in fact, bolted down. I have two hypotheticals at this point:

1. Vacuum advance on the distributor sucks. This is likely true, no matter what, because the distributor as a whole kind of sucks, which is why I put the Pertronix on it. But, would it cause this problem?

2. Vacuum leak. There might be one where there is a crack in the heat shield that the carbs mount to that goes just under the carb mounting block thing. Or not; there could be one in many places on this car. But, would it cause this problem?

Either way, I hope I can remember to call the mechanic tomorrow and make an appointment.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

FFFRRRNNNGGGG

I talked to the mechanic today, and he thought that the vacuum leak idea was about right. Okay, great, I can fix that with a new gasket and heat shield, no problem. I went over to my parent's house to pick the car up and drive it back to my place. Went to start it; nothing. Tried to jump it, and all I got was a rapid click. Yeah, solenoid or something has died. Other electronics seem to work.

I swear (daily, at this car), the little fucker is just lazy.

Eye of the Tiger

I am missing the connection between metallic clanging and a vacuum leak.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, and it sounds like your battery cables are loose or shitty.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 12, 2010, 09:28:28 PM
I am missing the connection between metallic clanging and a vacuum leak.

Too lean. It seems to fit the sound. Actually, I can't remember the sound, exactly, so I dunno. I'm sure I didn't describe it perfectly. It's not a common one. I'm willing to give it a shot, since it's pretty cheap, and I can do it in an hour. I mean, I could if the car ran to begin with...

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 12, 2010, 09:31:44 PM
Oh, and it sounds like your battery cables are loose or shitty.

I tightened the neg cable, but I guess it could be shitty. What's the deal with the clicking? Is that the solenoid engaging? Keep in mind that it didn't turn over with the jumper cables attached, either. :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on May 12, 2010, 09:46:52 PM
I tightened the neg cable, but I guess it could be shitty. What's the deal with the clicking? Is that the solenoid engaging? Keep in mind that it didn't turn over with the jumper cables attached, either. :huh:

Clicking almost always means there is not enough power getting to the starter. If you jump started it at the battery and it still clicked, it's probably a bad connection.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on May 12, 2010, 09:45:20 PM
Too lean. It seems to fit the sound. Actually, I can't remember the sound, exactly, so I dunno. I'm sure I didn't describe it perfectly. It's not a common one. I'm willing to give it a shot, since it's pretty cheap, and I can do it in an hour. I mean, I could if the car ran to begin with...

Must be a huge fucking leak.

Rupert

:huh: Probably. It's a sensitive car.

Okay, I will do the thing with the cleaning of the battery terminals and ground tomorrow. But If I have to pull the goddamn starter...

omicron

I must have missed the part where you tossed out that silly refrigerator engine and fitted a 3.5 Rover V8, because all good MG ownwers would do such a thing.

3.0L V6

Quote from: omicron on May 13, 2010, 11:43:25 AM
I must have missed the part where you tossed out that silly refrigerator engine and fitted a 3.5 Rover V8, because all good MG ownwers would do such a thing.

+1

This would solve all your engine problems.

the Teuton

It's not like it hasn't been done before, either.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

Well, it started. I cleaned the contacts, and then jumped it again, and it started fine. Actually, it ran and drove fine, too. I think it's the warm weather, but I'm gonna fix the vacuum leak, anyway. And wash it; jeebus.

Rupert

Quote from: omicron on May 13, 2010, 11:43:25 AM

Well, thanks at least for not suggesting a Weber...

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on May 13, 2010, 09:54:52 PM

It's not like it hasn't been done before, either.

Ugh, at least find a picture of a custom job, or even a factory V8...

Rupert

Nope, not fixed by miracles. It runs great, except for the clink/pop/hammer/whatever sound and hesitation. It's only when I accelerate from a cruising speed (i.e. not from a stop).

WAIT!!! Maybe the metallic sound is the heat shield deforming! There's a crack in the heat shield that goes between the carb mounts and the header, and the crack actually goes behind one of the carb mounts, which is what I suspect is causing the suspected vacuum leak. So, the hesitation is due to a lean condition caused by the vacuum leak, and the weird sound is caused by the heat shield deforming at the crack due to pressure changes (somehow)! Man, I totally buy this theory; I hope it's right!

A new heat shield and gaskets are on the way.

ChrisV

Quote from: Rupert on May 13, 2010, 10:02:47 PM
Ugh, at least find a picture of a custom job, or even a factory V8...

Well, it IS a factory V8. the RV8 was a cool, limited edition car.

On mine, I'm not going to put a V8 in it. I'm looking into more of a late model japanese engine/transmission.

THIS would really rock:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JWC

I remember seeing a couple of MGC's in California.  There was just something very sexy about a MGB with a bulge on the bonnet.

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on May 19, 2010, 08:23:20 AM
Well, it IS a factory V8. the RV8 was a cool, limited edition car.

On mine, I'm not going to put a V8 in it. I'm looking into more of a late model japanese engine/transmission.

THIS would really rock:

Yeah, but I don't like the RV8. It was too little too late, IMO. It's kind of the same idea as taking a 1993 Alfa Spider, smoothing the lines, and calling it a new car today.

Are you thinking about Nissan parts, primarily? It seems like that's the place most MG people turn to when they go with Japanese power.

Rupert

The heat shield came today, and I may try to get it on tomorrow, but probably not.

Rupert

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Nope, that wasn't it.

I tried to enrichen the carbs a bit, but it was dark by then, and I couldn't get the screws to turn (o_0). I'll try to get it to the mechanic this week...

Rupert

Enrichening the carbs only fucked with the idle... I might do a more comprehensive tuning, but, jeez, I dunno, again. Square fucking two.

omicron

Rupert

Sorry, I don't have wire wheels.

hotrodalex

Three cheers for a new crate engine and Edelbrock carb.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 02, 2010, 06:07:38 PM
Three cheers for a new crate engine and Edelbrock carb.

Hip Hip!