Rupert's MGB Thread

Started by Rupert, July 13, 2009, 04:44:31 PM

Eye of the Tiger

It sounds to me like you fixed everything already. I don't even know what wrong with it anymore.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 07:44:19 PM
It sounds to me like you fixed everything already. I don't even know what wrong with it anymore.

Is it more like a *clink* a *clank* a *ding* or a *dink* ...?

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 04, 2010, 07:43:47 PM
So is this noise coming from the motor itself or is there something else rattling around you think?

I don't think anything is literally loose and rattling around...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 07:46:19 PM
Is it more like a *clink* a *clank* a *ding* or a *dink* ...?

It's like a hammer hitting a nail. Sort of a *pop* and a *clunk* at the same time; very metallic. It seems like a backfire, but it's not as loud as I think of backfires being.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 07:50:49 PM
It's like a hammer hitting a nail. Sort of a *pop* and a *clunk* at the same time; very metallic. It seems like a backfire, but it's not as loud as I think of backfires being.

How does it change with engine speed/load?

S204STi

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on April 04, 2010, 08:00:49 PM
Any broken valve springs?

Not that I noticed when I checked the valves.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 07:57:27 PM
How does it change with engine speed/load?

It only shows up sometimes, as in, it's a single pop/etc. sound, it hesitates, and then it's fine. It only happens during acceleration, and usually moderate acceleration. It's not when I lift the throttle, but when it's depressed initially. It doesn't seem to matter what the engine speed is when I hit the gas, but I haven't tried it at high RPMs.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 08:10:27 PM
It only shows up sometimes, as in, it's a single pop/etc. sound, it hesitates, and then it's fine. It only happens during acceleration, and usually moderate acceleration. It's not when I lift the throttle, but when it's depressed initially. It doesn't seem to matter what the engine speed is when I hit the gas, but I haven't tried it at high RPMs.

Oh, so it's not a constant pop pop pop pop that just gets louder under load... it's intermittent, and hesitating when this happens. That ain't ur barrrrings.
Check ur spark plugs? Maybe they're disintegrating from extreme detonation caused by an intermittent fueling problem? That's jumping to conclusions, but that's what I got for now.

Eye of the Tiger

Does it happen right away after startup, or only when the engine is warmed up?

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:14:36 PM
Oh, so it's not a constant pop pop pop pop that just gets louder under load... it's intermittent, and hesitating when this happens. That ain't ur barrrrings.
Check ur spark plugs? Maybe they're disintegrating from extreme detonation caused by an intermittent fueling problem? That's jumping to conclusions, but that's what I got for now.

Right, it only happens now and again, relatively. Like, every couple of minutes when driving and warm. Under the hood, when the car is cold, it happens more frequently, but not every time I pull the throttle cable. If it's totally cold, it might happen 1/3 to 1/2 of the time I pull the throttle cable in a consistent manner.

The plugs are new as of yesterday, and they are gapped right.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:18:24 PM
Does it happen right away after startup, or only when the engine is warmed up?

It happens more easily when cold. As it warms up, it happens less. When it's fully warm, it's more likely to happen while actually driving than in the driveway under the hood.

Eye of the Tiger

Try twisting the distributor around to see if you can make the noise change or go away.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

I'm just thinking it could be over advancing and making it ping... not sure how, maybe the weights are getting stuck or something. Anyway, if it's not ignition, or mechanical, then maybe it is running very lean intermittently, which could be many things like rust in the tank, a pinched line, clogged filter, and then there's the carbuertor

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:38:31 PM
I'm just thinking it could be over advancing and making it ping... not sure how, maybe the weights are getting stuck or something. Anyway, if it's not ignition, or mechanical, then maybe it is running very lean intermittently, which could be many things like rust in the tank, a pinched line, clogged filter, and then there's the carbuertor

Well, the dizzy is in generally poor shape, which is why I have the Pertronix in there, so I suppose it could be something in there. If it's any of that stuff, I'd rather have the mechanic deal with it. x_x

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Here's a joke for ya:

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Rod.

Rod who?

Rod through the block.

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:47:41 PM
is it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySn094OvHDk&feature=related

Sort of. It's just a single pop thing, and not constant like that, but that's kind of like the sound it makes. More metallic, maybe.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:55:08 PM
Here's a joke for ya:

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Rod.

Rod who?

Rod through the block.

:lol:

Oh hell no.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 08:59:03 PM
Sort of. It's just a single pop thing, and not constant like that, but that's kind of like the sound it makes. More metallic, maybe.

MORE metallic than that?
That's bad. That's bad.
Find out where it is. Use a stick... or a screwdriver, put it on different locations and put your ear on it.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Like I said, it's

run run run [pull the throttle cable] run [pop] [hesitate] [accelerate] run run run run [pull the throttle cable] [accelerate] run run run run run and etc.

It's not regular.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 09:12:53 PM
I am out of ideas. Get a V8 :lol:

Yeah, jeesh.

This sounds like a job for my mechanic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 09:13:16 PM
Like I said, it's

run run run [pull the throttle cable] run [pop] [hesitate] [accelerate] run run run run [pull the throttle cable] [accelerate] run run run run run and etc.

It's not regular.

An intermittent metallic clank that causes or at least corresponds to hesitation under acceleration. Ok. I'm going with Ringe and saying broken valve spring because I can't think of anything else.

Rupert