Pro Touring appreciation...

Started by ChrisV, July 16, 2009, 08:48:27 AM

ChrisV

Classic American muscle with modern underpinnings, and modern engine management, designed for cornering as well as beaty... There is some really nice stuff being built these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4mP0yy178&feature=related

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

That's pretty much how I'd rock it if I were to get back into it. I'd go a bit easier on the lowering and big wheels, however.

The Silver second gen Z-28, Demon and Daytona are my favs.

ChrisV

One of my favorite 1st gen Camaros: Big Red, the 200+ mph Silver State competitor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKdkhpUbHk

And some more...

And another pic of this one, just because...

I'd love that car, but done in this color:

Raza

I love that! 

That's really nice too.

None of these guys use Mustangs?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

They do, but Camaros still seem predominant. There are also Fairlanes and Torinos, as well as Novas and GTOs. A lot of the good pics are on photobucket, which is blocked here at work, so I can't link them...

I love the pic above with the Fairlane in the rain, showing the *huge* front tires...

Some more...

I may have to go this route with the Comet...

Raza

I can't say I'm in love with the color scheme, but I do know I :wub: that stance.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

It's a lovely approach, indeed. For the most part, the cars are all instantly-recognisable and maintain the classic style of their era, which is the biggest criticism I have of more highly-customised versions of the same cars. I'd probably go down a wheel size or two, raise the height a little (speed bumps and spoon drains are reasonably common in these parts) and keep the interiors closer to standard, but as a day-to-day driving proposition it's a fantastic idea.

I love how they've developed a wheel reminiscent of the classic Pontiac gold snowflake/honeycomb wheels.

Oh my.

SVT666

I h ate dubs on classic muscle cars, but some of those Camaros are hot, despite being Camaros.

r0tor

most are lowered way beyond usefulness or good taste IMO
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

Sweet. I want a Coupe Deville like Soup's with an LSA motor and VIP-style Work LS rimz.

Any pics of resto-mod/pro-touring Caddies?

NomisR

Those car looks great.. I really want to get an original Mini Cooper and modernize it in the same fashion.

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2009, 11:13:06 AM

:rolleyes:

They seem to work just fine in their intended role.

None of them are supposed to replace the family station wagon/SUV for practicality.

And most are no lower than your car is, stock. Some are, but professionals in the automotive industry, including most designers worldwide, like that altitude.

So take your intolerance and intentional insulting about "good taste" and GTFO an "appreciation" thread.

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 16, 2009, 11:38:56 AM
Sweet. I want a Coupe Deville like Soup's with an LSA motor and VIP-style Work LS rimz.

Any pics of resto-mod/pro-touring Caddies?

that one that Soup likes is about the only one I've found. But it deserves a repost, so...

Raza

Quote from: omicron on July 16, 2009, 10:25:30 AM
It's a lovely approach, indeed. For the most part, the cars are all instantly-recognisable and maintain the classic style of their era, which is the biggest criticism I have of more highly-customised versions of the same cars. I'd probably go down a wheel size or two, raise the height a little (speed bumps and spoon drains are reasonably common in these parts) and keep the interiors closer to standard, but as a day-to-day driving proposition it's a fantastic idea.

Oh my.

I never liked that generation Camaro.  But it looks good right there!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: omicron on July 16, 2009, 10:25:30 AM

Oh my.

Man, that's how I'd do it, with a bit smaller wheel and easy up a bit on the lowering/tucked in look; add an LS3 or maybe an LS7, 6sp MT, IRS, 4WDB, and a whole heckuva lot of chassis strengthening, and that would be one wicked ride despite all the ribbing I'd take from my friends (my first car was a '79, with a reputation that was legion).

68_427

I believe that orange second gen Camaro is owned by Dale Jr.  Oh, you owe me a new pair of pants.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

I love those Camaros.

However, if I were to get one of those cars, it'd have to be a first gen Mustang. :wub:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

jadewolf123

Id love a 69 camaro, shave it clean and drop it on a modern Vette chassis. That would the sex.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

nickdrinkwater

Nice....I think if I won the jackpot some of these things would be high on my shopping list.

They don't make American cars like they used to!

Colin

60s Camaros are among my very favourite American cars...... along with the same era Firebird and the early Mustangs.

In my (very large) (dream) collection, they would have a place, for sure!

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on July 16, 2009, 11:46:12 AM
:rolleyes:

They seem to work just fine in their intended role.

None of them are supposed to replace the family station wagon/SUV for practicality.

And most are no lower than your car is, stock. Some are, but professionals in the automotive industry, including most designers worldwide, like that altitude.

So take your intolerance and intentional insulting about "good taste" and GTFO an "appreciation" thread.

Yea my car is obviously lowered about 4 inches and well past the point where the suspension geometry is completely fucked and suspension travel is a thing of the past.  But damn, its lacking some hideous dubs...

go cry to your mommy that someone has a different opinion then your own
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on July 16, 2009, 04:17:28 PM
Yea my car is obviously lowered about 4 inches and well past the point where the suspension geometry is completely fucked and suspension travel is a thing of the past.  But damn, its lacking some hideous dubs...

go cry to your mommy that someone has a different opinion then your own

You know what? You're not even worth it.

This isn't about having a different opinion, it's about being fucking proud of being a closed minded, insulting bitch about HAVING a different opinion. You can't even conceive of the concept "to each their own" and you can't simply say, "not my cup of tea." You have to follow that thought up with insults and calling it stupid because it isn't your favorite.

The reason you have a different opinion is because you don't know a damn thing about anything outside your narrow range of interests. You don't realize that these cars have mostly custom suspension designed to sit where they sit. Big Red pictured does over 200 mph, and over 180 mph through the twisty corners of the Silver State classic. Most of the cars are set up for road race tracks, and are PICTURED on road race tracks. their suspension is not completely fucked, it is optimized. But you're too fucking ignorant to know that. Those "dubs" if you'll look real closely at, barely clear the huge fucking brakes the cars use for repeated stops on the road race track. That's what these cars are primarily about. But yore too fucking closed minded to learn that. Your opinion, as stated in this post is factually wrong. But that's because you're an ignorant closed minded moron that doesn't know dick. So you go crying to your mommy. Better yet, go back to the RX8Club.com board where you don't have to see anything that you know nothing about.

Northlands

Quote from: ChrisV on July 16, 2009, 11:50:57 AM
that one that Soup likes is about the only one I've found. But it deserves a repost, so...

Sweet mother of Pearl that is hot...   :ohyeah:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

GoCougs

Quote from: NACar on July 16, 2009, 04:43:04 PM
This thread is trash.

It held in there for half a page or so however...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on July 16, 2009, 06:12:13 PM
It held in there for half a page or so however...

It never held in there. It was never there. Not a single Swift.

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

sportyaccordy

Ur opinion's useless

hotrodalex

Most have air ride.

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19303.msg1115095#msg1115095 date=1247767488
I never liked that generation Camaro.  But it looks good right there!

:rage:

By the way, maybe I'm just a RS snob, but I can't stand non-RS package 2nd gen Camaros. Just doesn't look right. The only one I like that is non-RS is Kyle Tucker's blue 2nd gen. I shot some video of it at an autocross and it was just amazing.