Imprezza 2.5i vs WRX... for a daily driver

Started by r0tor, July 20, 2009, 11:28:26 AM

S204STi

I wouldn't touch the 2.5i with a stick, personally.  But since it's a second car for you... maybe.  Don't expect mind-blowing performance in any way.

the Teuton

I've sat back on this one for a while, so here's my response:

The 2.5i is a solidly good, but absolutely ordinary car that gets below-average fuel economy.  It's nimble and refined for its class, but it's not anything special.

The WRX is a much better car for someone in love with performance.  Subaru's service when it comes to maintenance issues has also been top-notch from what I understand.  There have been teething problems with the newer cars and their transmissions, and Subaru has delivered excellent service, so I wouldn't cast doubt on the car for a second.  It's supposedly a hoot to drive by comparison.  But it doesn't look like a proper WRX.

My happy medium, being the pragmatist that I am, would be to find a gently used 2007 WRX.  From there, have at it!  The suspension is a much more similar design to to the 1993-2001 and 2002-2007 models, so there are a metric shit-ton of parts out there for it.  And the interior really isn't as bad as everyone says it is.  It's actually pretty nice.

If you get the CPO warranty with it, it'd be an outstanding buy.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

If you're going to get a 2007 WRX, might as well save some money and get the slightly nicer 9-2x.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on July 26, 2009, 07:06:53 PM
If you're going to get a 2007 WRX, might as well save some money and get the slightly nicer 9-2x.

If you like the wagon body style (I know I do), then yeah, it rocks.  It's a little slower and heavier, though, because of all of the added sound deadening, but it's nothing a few Cobb bits and pieces couldn't fix.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 26, 2009, 07:09:54 PM
If you like the wagon body style (I know I do), then yeah, it rocks.  It's a little slower and heavier, though, because of all of the added sound deadening, but it's nothing a few Cobb bits and pieces couldn't fix.

The wagon is also more prone to oversteer than the sedan is.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

So my urge for a AWD vehicle thats decent on gas and has some good utility for Home Depot runs (for the upcomming house) is growing... and I keep coming back to frikkin subaru

- Looked at a 4 banger AWD Ford Escape... no 4 bangers anywhere
- Looked for a 4 banger Ford Ranger 4x4...  no 4 bangers anywhere
- Looked for a 4 banger Taco 4x4... notice a trend with no 4 bangers anywhere

- Went back to subaru... The new Forester is OK - but would rather go for a WRX for the price

... just noticed for 2010 I could order a 2.5i 5 door with a stick, STi springs front and rear, short throw shifter, heated seats/mirrors for about $20k or a 42 month lease for <$200 a month...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Are we talking about the SPT suspension when you mention STI springs?

r0tor

Nope, STi springs

... reminds me of a factory optioned new school 2.5RS...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 08:21:04 AM
Nope, STi springs

That's a cool option then.

But I'm not sure how you'd feel about 8-second 0-60 times, especially with the RX as your dd right now. It's just a bit slowish.

It'd be a hoot in the winter, though.

S204STi

That 2.5i with suspension work might be nice, but when it comes time for me to pick between the naturally aspirated Outback and the WRX, I pick the WRX every time.  The difference in fuel economy just isn't sufficient to worry about it much.  Now the n/a Impreza might be a little better than our Outback due to being possibly lighter, but both our cars net about 20-21mpg in mostly city traffic.  I'll take the extra power in that case, thanks.

r0tor

meh,

between the fuel mileage difference (10%), the fuel type difference( premium vs regular = 20%), increased price (~$200 a month), and increased insurance costs I think a WRX upgrade is around $300-400 a month for my snow and home depot beater...

WookieOnRitalin

They are running some pretty good deals on some vehicles right now. They knocking 3k off any Grand Vitara right now. 4x4 4-banger will net you 22 mpg combined. A Vitara Premium with 4x4 and stick will net you 18,500 after rebates without any extra goodies. I bet the dealers are knocking even more off the bottom line. I think 17k for a Vitara as a real possibility. Mostly all Chrysler products are discounted to the hills.

Most hatches in the class do not offer AWD or 4WD. I'd look at an Outback if they were running any deals on them. I saw one the other day and it looks sharp. The Impreza seems underwhelming if not affordable. I'd also say look at a SX4, but the current engine is gutless. They are putting in a new engine for 2010 that puts out more power likely to shave a second off the 0-60 time. It's cheap, fun, and has a 3-mode AWD system (2WD, AWD, and 4WD) that will probably have deals on it considering its a Suzuki, but if you want the new engine, you'll have to wait.

2010 SX4. Interior adds new door armrests and slight changes to the instrument cluster and climate controls.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 09:23:37 AM
meh,

between the fuel mileage difference (10%), the fuel type difference( premium vs regular = 20%), increased price (~$200 a month), and increased insurance costs I think a WRX upgrade is around $300-400 a month for my snow and home depot beater...

Well yeah, in that case I guess the case for the 2.5i is very strong.  Go for it!

Eye of the Tiger

GRAND VITARA FTW. Get a 4-banger with a real can-you-believe-anyone-still-makes-one 2-speed transfer case for towing those really heavy Home Depot loads up to the tops of mountains.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

No doubt go for the WRX.  If the 09/10 is actually better than the 08 (I suspect it is not), which was better the 2.5i, then the 2.5i must have been among the worst pieces of shit made. 

But if you're looking for an occasional use car vs. a true RX-8 replacement, get a used car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

keeping the 8 for 2 more years until the engine warranty is out

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2009, 10:49:17 AM
No doubt go for the WRX.  If the 09/10 is actually better than the 08 (I suspect it is not), which was better the 2.5i, then the 2.5i must have been among the worst pieces of shit made. 

But if you're looking for an occasional use car vs. a true RX-8 replacement, get a used car. 

I agree completely. A 2007 WRX would fit the bill very nicely, and the old wagons had more space in them than the new hatches behind the seat.

Eye of the Tiger

While I refuse to argue against an WRX, I am skeptical of its Home Depot cargo carrying capabilities.

ifcar

Another possibility would be a used Legacy 2.5GT wagon, which would have more space than either Impreza generation.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on October 08, 2009, 10:55:19 AM
Another possibility would be a used Legacy 2.5GT wagon, which would have more space than either Impreza generation.

You mean Forester? No, Tribeca!

r0tor

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 10:51:35 AM
keeping the 8 for 2 more years until the engine warranty is out

Try #2 (server was too busy last time...)

If you want a beater, then buy a beater.  If you want a car to replace your RX-8, then wait two years and replace your RX-8.  It doesn't make sense to buy a car now to replace your car in two years.  An old enough/cheap enough occasional use car will lose little value in relation to its purchase price, whereas a brand new car will lose a great deal of value at full cost.  Furthermore, if you intend to replace your RX-8 in the future with a car leased now, you do face the possibility of being unsatisfied with the car (the dissatisfaction mitigated by the fact you still have the RX-8 at the momeny) when the RX-8 goes away. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

r0tor

problem with used is...

- there are no used AWD hatches
   -> that pushes me to an SUV/light truck
         -> I can't find any 4 banger SUVs/light trucks in the area
                -> that pushes me to a V6 and/or worse gas mileage then the RX8
                         -> that forces me to actually want to drive that vehicle maybe 20 times a year... which means its only taking up space and costing insurance money

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 11:21:04 AM
problem with used is...

Sure there are. They current Impreza is in its third year.

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on October 08, 2009, 11:18:04 AM
Get a STi!

there is a blue 2008 CPO STi with gold BBS wheel and navi sitting on a dealer lot since April.... i checked the insurance company and the rates are horrendous

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 11:21:04 AM
problem with used is...

-> that pushes me to an SUV/light truck
         -> I can't find any 4 banger SUVs/light trucks in the area
                -> that pushes me to a V6 and/or worse gas mileage then the RX8
                         -> that forces me to actually want to drive that vehicle maybe 20 times a year... which means its only taking up space and costing insurance money

I've seen plenty of used Evo and STi for sale here.  Evo VIII or Evo IX would make a great winter beater car, same with a STi

r0tor

Quote from: ifcar on October 08, 2009, 11:21:50 AM
Sure there are. They current Impreza is in its third year.

a new lease will be probably the same or cheaper then getting a 1 year old car and selling it in 3.5 years

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2009, 11:22:17 AM
there is a blue 2008 CPO STi with gold BBS wheel and navi sitting on a dealer lot since April.... i checked the insurance company and the rates are horrendous

Compared to the Rx8, yeah anything is horrendous.  For some reason, the Rx8 gets awesome rates

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on October 08, 2009, 11:22:51 AM
I've seen plenty of used Evo and STi for sale here.  Evo VIII or Evo IX would make a great winter beater car, same with a STi

they don't have anymore home depot space then my 8...