SUVs and trucks I can sleep in

Started by Rupert, July 24, 2009, 02:19:44 AM

Rupert

I might replace the Ranger in a couple of months with something better. I don't know what my budget will be, but it won't be very high. Probably no more than $6k, and cheaper is better (duh).

I'm sure someone here has this all memorized (ifcar ;) ), but I can't find a good source of all the information I need. The two big things I want in any replacement are 4WD and enough room for me to sleep in the back. I'm 6'2", so, with seats folded down, I would need about 6'6" to be comfortable. This obviously rules out 6' bed pick-ups, and most mid-size SUVs. So which small pick-ups that came with 4WD, and a 7' bed about 10 years ago, and which SUVs have 4WD a fold-flat cargo area with 6'6" or more? I also prefer manual transmission and small engine (fuel economy), but I'd pick a 4.3L Vortec over the GM 4 cylinder because it's a much better engine.

I was thinking about this, but the bed is too short.  :(
http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/1281373552.html
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Tave

Just sleep askew. :huh:

I could fit well in the 4runner with the seats down, and it was very tiny.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

S204STi

I recall a guy here picking up a new body style Sierra (99MY) for about 8K last year... you might be able to find something along those lines.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 24, 2009, 08:22:44 AM
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1286358673.html

If you bargain and get rid of the rims, that will work.

Those wheels are ricer trash, but the truck looks decent otherwise.  However, it's going to be a gas pig, and maybe that's a little too big

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 24, 2009, 08:25:48 AM
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1285825809.html

The I6 is a good motor.

The engine may very well be good, but nothing can make up for the monumental ball-suckage that is the rest of the Chevy Trailblazer

I like the Trooper posted, but then again, I've always liked those cars.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rupert

Whoa, there, I'm not looking now, I just want a list. :lol:

So,
Trooper (as usual)
Vanagon: too spendy, IRS
'Yota 4WD van: too old
MPV: actually, having done a little research, looks pretty good, even if it is sans 4low

The Trailblazer blows in all ways (I have experienced second hand this suckage), 'Burbans and their like are waaay too big, and that rules out full sized pick ups. I've thought about putting a pop-up camper on a small truck, but they ain't cheap.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on July 24, 2009, 06:50:16 AM
Just sleep askew. :huh:

I could fit well in the 4runner with the seats down, and it was very tiny.

That works with just me, but not for the ladies. ;) :lol:

How tall are you?

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Maybe I would fit in the back of a 4Runner, then. I'll try to lay down in the back of someone's 4Runner to see.

Too bad they're just so damn expensive...

List now:
Trooper
MPV
4Runner

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 02:24:45 PM
Maybe I would fit in the back of a 4Runner, then. I'll try to lay down in the back of someone's 4Runner to see.

Too bad they're just so damn expensive...

List now:
Trooper
MPV
4Runner

I was kidding about the MPV  :lol:  (or was I?  :mask: )

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Yeah, I did read that. At first I laughed at the MPV, but it's RWD based, has a solid rear axle, and is pretty tough (being a Mazda). I'd have to give it a little lift and some better tires, and maybe even a two speed transfer case, but it's probably as capable or more capable than a 4WD Vanagon.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 02:39:45 PM
Yeah, I did read that. At first I laughed at the MPV, but it's RWD based, has a solid rear axle, and is pretty tough (being a Mazda). I'd have to give it a little lift and some better tires, and maybe even a two speed transfer case, but it's probably as capable or more capable than a 4WD Vanagon.

Meh, what do you need a two-speed transfer case for? With an automatic transmission, there is less need for a low range. Torque converters are nice things sometimes.
Yeah, a little lift and some A/T tires would rock.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 02:44:45 PM
It would be unique, too. :lol:

I bet you could stick a locker in the rear end, too. It would be unstoppable. :devil:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on July 24, 2009, 02:45:07 PM

:huh:

Thank; I've been trying to lose weight, and I just lost my appetite.

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on July 24, 2009, 02:45:07 PM

:huh:

Ha!

If I was going to bother setting up that tent thing, I would just set up a tent. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 02:45:40 PM
I bet you could stick a locker in the rear end, too. It would be unstoppable. :devil:

Yes!

Rupert

MPV is currently at the top of the list. Maybe I can even find one with a five-speed.

The Pirate

I always liked the Mazda MPV.  First bike shop I worked at, the owner drove one.  With deliveries, etc. I probably logged a few hundred miles in it.  Nice and comfy, and it was unstoppable in the snow.  I'm sort of tempted to look at one now, but I've only ever seen automatic ones.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 02:58:54 PM
MPV is currently at the top of the list. Maybe I can even find one with a five-speed.

I don't know if those exist.

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 03:06:32 PM
I don't know if those exist.

They are out there, but I think only with the 4-banger in the 1st year or two.  Like I said, I've never seen one.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 03:13:31 PM
They are out there, but I think only with the 4-banger in the 1st year or two.  Like I said, I've never seen one.

Ah, I read something that said they came with the V6, but then I read a better thing that says they only came with the 4 cylinder, and the 4 cylinder never had 4WD.

NomisR

Element?  Not sure how much of actual 4WD you need though since it's AWD.