SUVs and trucks I can sleep in

Started by Rupert, July 24, 2009, 02:19:44 AM

SVT666

What about a Delica?  We got them all over up here.

Rupert

That would be cool, but they're pretty rare in the States. Importing cars is kind of a pain, IIRC.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on July 24, 2009, 03:58:42 PM
Element?  Not sure how much of actual 4WD you need though since it's AWD.

Yeah, I like those, but I don't think it'd work as well on the roads I drive on. Probably too new and expensive, too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1278663647.html

I emailed about that one. I might go look at the other one, too (it's at a stealership). I wonder how much I could get for the Ranger...

Yeah, I know I just said that I was only looking for a list now... :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 07:46:01 PM
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1278663647.html

I emailed about that one. I might go look at the other one, too (it's at a stealership). I wonder how much I could get for the Ranger...

Yeah, I know I just said that I was only looking for a list now... :lol:

That one looks nicer than the red one. Plus it has leather! I wonder how hard the second row seats are to remove... you'll need to get rid of one of them for your bed, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, it does. If it's got low-ish miles, I would probably do it. I might get a mechanic to check it out first, though. However hard they are to take out, I will take them out. I had a friend in high school that did that to his parent's MPV to make it the ultimate party bus. Same one that he crashed into a ditch after he tried to downshift (the automatic) to slow down at 110 mph. 0_o

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 07:53:13 PM
Yeah, it does. If it's got low-ish miles, I would probably do it. I might get a mechanic to check it out first, though. However hard they are to take out, I will take them out. I had a friend in high school that did that to his parent's MPV to make it the ultimate party bus. Same one that he crashed into a ditch after he tried to downshift (the automatic) to slow down at 110 mph. 0_o

wat  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Make sure you find out when the timing belt was last done.

TBR

Those MPVs are supposed to be real solid. Of course it is quite humorous that they were trying to sell it as a SUV alternative. I'd definitely go for that blue one, it looks mint.

2o6

Quote from: TBR on July 24, 2009, 08:16:30 PM
Of course it is quite humorous that they were trying to sell it as a SUV alternative. I

It was?

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 08:13:22 PM
Make sure you find out when the timing belt was last done.

Oh yeah, that.

I guess I'd better find that old checklist for things to check on used cars...

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on July 24, 2009, 08:03:28 PM
wat  :lol:

That's what we said, along with some other things. He was afraid to brake, because "OMG the wheels might lock up!". Of course, it has four wheel ABS, and we had a quarter mile to slow down. :banghead:

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on July 24, 2009, 08:16:30 PM
Those MPVs are supposed to be real solid. Of course it is quite humorous that they were trying to sell it as a SUV alternative. I'd definitely go for that blue one, it looks mint.

:ohyeah:

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on July 24, 2009, 08:37:58 PM

It was?

It was what?

It looks no more like a SUV than the Uplander did. And it definitely was marketed as a suv alternative.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TBR on July 24, 2009, 08:48:46 PM
It was what?

It looks no more like a SUV than the Uplander did. And it definitely was marketed as a suv alternative.

Aw shit dawg, I know you ain't even comparing the UPlandter to the MPV.

The UPlanter is just a minivan with a shitty nose job.

The MPV is an MPV.

Rupert

It was what?

Well, as far as I can tell, it is and SUV alternative. ;)

The Pirate

It was what?

Though certainly not in the same class as a 4Runner, I'd say it's more of an SUV than something like a Highlander.  It was RWD based with a live axle, and had a part time 4WD system with a locking center differential that could not be used on dry pavement.  I mean, I'm inclined to agree with you in that it's not an SUV.  But, (and I know I'm splitting hairs) it's got more SUV credentials than just about any crossover.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 08:56:17 PM
Though certainly not in the same class as a 4Runner, I'd say it's more of an SUV than something like a Highlander.  It was RWD based with a live axle, and had a part time 4WD system with a locking center differential that could not be used on dry pavement.  I mean, I'm inclined to agree with you in that it's not an SUV.  But, (and I know I'm splitting hairs) it's got more SUV credentials than just about any crossover.

Rupert

Shit, that blue one has 178 kmiles on it...

That's a lot.

I'll look at the red one, and keep an eye out for better blue ones.

The Pirate

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 08:58:21 PM

Dammit, I want one now too.  With rear seats out, I bet it's got enough room for a bike and me to sleep.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
Dammit, I want one now too.  With rear seats out, I bet it's got enough room for a bike and me to sleep.

Hehe, yep. I bet that is the case.

The Pirate

Quote from: Psilos on July 24, 2009, 09:00:38 PM
Hehe, yep. I bet that is the case.

Well, whatever you end up getting, let me know how it works for sleeping.  I'm 6', so if you fit, I'll fit.  And the Proteg? replacement (not sure when) is likely going to be a truck or SUV.

2o6

It was what?

Except the MPV was RWD, Body on frame, and available with AWD/4WD. It's more of an SUV than many cute-utes.

TBR

They were selling it as a SUV alternative, it looked like a minivan. In case you all weren't aware, the whole SUV craze of the late '90s/early '00s had nothing to do with SUV capability.

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on July 24, 2009, 09:03:10 PM

Except the MPV was RWD, Body on frame, and available with AWD/4WD. It's more of an SUV than many cute-utes.

It's unibody.  And it was a part-time 4WD system, not AWD.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 24, 2009, 09:01:58 PM
Well, whatever you end up getting, let me know how it works for sleeping.  I'm 6', so if you fit, I'll fit.  And the Proteg? replacement (not sure when) is likely going to be a truck or SUV.

Coitenly!

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on July 24, 2009, 09:05:42 PM
They were selling it as a SUV alternative, it looked like a minivan. In case you all weren't aware, the whole SUV craze of the late '90s/early '00s had nothing to do with SUV capability.

Well, if an SUV alternative looked like an SUV, it would be an SUV!

Eye of the Tiger

whatever you get, make sure it has dual over head piston springs