Where would you change lanes to?

Started by NomisR, July 24, 2009, 12:52:08 PM

Assuming you have an exit coming up in a 1/2 miles.  The #1 lane is going approximately 65mph, your lane currently is traveling at 70mph.   Your exit is coming up.

Speed up and move into A
25 (71.4%)
Slow down and move into B
2 (5.7%)
Speed up a lot more to move into C
4 (11.4%)
Other (Please explain
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122587#msg1122587 date=1248654820
Well, I'm sure all those people will take deign to take heat from two little fuckers without licenses.  

+1 to 2o6, cop out. Ad hominem attacks are the first sign of weakness.

Secondly, I have a junior license. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2009, 06:40:44 PM

Cop out.

What cop out?  I'm tired of a person without a license arguing about a possible move on a hypothetical situation.  You're so fucking annoying, it's ridiculous.

If you don't want to take option B, don't fucking take it.  If someone says it's viable, then you might think that people with more experience than you know what they're talking about. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2009, 06:43:24 PM
+1 to 2o6, cop out. Ad hominem attacks are the first sign of weakness.

Secondly, I have a junior license. :lol:

I'm almost impressed. 

You have a permit.  Let me know when you can legally drive a car alone and we'll talk. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122620#msg1122620 date=1248655869
I'm almost impressed.  

You have a permit.  Let me know when you can legally drive a car alone and we'll talk.  

You see, your argument is flawed.

First of all, the mere fact that all you have to rebuke my argument with is to remind me that I don't have a full license as a consequence of not taking driver's ed. is just weak. Secondly, you act as if we haven't been in cars to begin with, and that piece of plastic/paper seems to unlock a sensory pathway in your nervous system that enables you to see how traffic moves. It ain't rocket science, homefry.

Thirdly, I'm glad I almost impressed you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122619#msg1122619 date=1248655774
What cop out?  I'm tired of a person without a license arguing about a possible move on a hypothetical situation.  You're so fucking annoying, it's ridiculous.

If you don't want to take option B, don't fucking take it.  If someone says it's viable, then you might think that people with more experience than you know what they're talking about. 

Logically, B is the better choice? Since when is screwing up the flow of traffic, possibly causing an accident and cutting off another person smart? If anything, it shows a lack of planning and experience.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2009, 06:54:04 PM

First of all, the mere fact that all you have to rebuke my argument with is to remind me that I don't have a full license as a consequence of not taking driver's ed. is just weak. Secondly, you act as if we haven't been in cars to begin with, and that piece of plastic/paper seems to unlock a sensory pathway in your nervous system that enables you to see how traffic moves. It ain't rocket science, homefry.

You're telling me that based on some fucking picture, you can, with very little experience, come up with the the right fucking answer every time, and that IN THE REAL WORLD THERE IS ALWAYS ONLY ONE CORRECT ANSWER.

I voted for option A.  That doesn't mean that Option B isn't viable or often, in real life, necessitated by the distance and speed of the car ahead of you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2009, 06:49:34 PM

It's viable but why would you want to? You're already traveling faster than the other lane, and in a half mile you'll easily be able to get into A, without causing the guy behind you to crash into you and without having to squeeze between two cars like in B.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

J86

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122632#msg1122632 date=1248656214
You're telling me that based on some fucking picture, you can, with very little experience, come up with the the right fucking answer every time, and that IN THE REAL WORLD THERE IS ALWAYS ONLY ONE CORRECT ANSWER.

I voted for option A.  That doesn't mean that Option B isn't viable or often, in real life, necessitated by the distance and speed of the car ahead of you.

Is that what I said? Read my post out loud this time.

In this particular scenario, I'd kinda hope you wouldn't go with B.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122632#msg1122632 date=1248656214

In this poll, every option is viable. The objective is to choose the best answer.

You discredit everyone on their opinions, answers all the time. Yet, when someone does the same to you, you get all upset.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 26, 2009, 06:58:02 PM
It's viable but why would you want to? You're already traveling faster than the other lane, and in a half mile you'll easily be able to get into A, without causing the guy behind you to crash into you and without having to squeeze between two cars like in B.

So everyone is locked into their speeds?  Other drivers are following so closely that touching your brakes will cause a massive pile-up?

Jesus fuck guys, allow yourself to see the veracity in opposing arguments even if you don't agree with them.  I already stated that I don't think it's the best option here, but as I've experienced myself, you can often be forced into making that maneuver.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122642#msg1122642 date=1248656395
So everyone is locked into their speeds?  Other drivers are following so closely that touching your brakes will cause a massive pile-up?

Jesus fuck guys, allow yourself to see the veracity in opposing arguments even if you don't agree with them.  I already stated that I don't think it's the best option here, but as I've experienced myself, you can often be forced into making that maneuver.

That guy is less than a car length away from you. You're AT the gap where you'd be merging, traveling faster than that lane of traffic. Slowing down and maneuvering into that space would be VERY risky.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2009, 06:59:55 PM

If it's the ONLY option available (if the right lane is clogged up with people trying to exit), I will take it, obviously because I can't do anything else. Otherwise, I would accelerate hard, look for another spot, and jump in there. If someone is riding so close to my bumper, I'm still not going to brake unless I have to.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2009, 07:02:11 PM

That guy is less than a car length away from you. You're AT the gap where you'd be merging, traveling faster than that lane of traffic. Slowing down and maneuvering into that space would be VERY risky.

Oh, I'm sorry.

I didn't realize that it was a to-scale fucking scientific diagram.   :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that it's the right move in this situation.  I'm saying that it COULD BE THE RIGHT MOVE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION.  How many fucking times do I have to tell you morons that? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 26, 2009, 07:02:45 PM
If it's the ONLY option available (if the right lane is clogged up with people trying to exit), I will take it, obviously because I can't do anything else. Otherwise, I would accelerate hard, look for another spot, and jump in there. If someone is riding so close to my bumper, I'm still not going to brake unless I have to.

Yes, and here comes in the judgment call.  At least you understand you can't have one answer for every situation.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

I wasn't assuming the drawing was exactly to scale either. It looks like it's trying to communicate that there are several open spots and the choice is between merging into the right hand lane (into either A or B) and slowing down for awhile or increasing your speed, passing everyone in the right lane, and trying to "beat the exit," so to speak. It looks like A is the best option, but if the circumstances were right, B might be viable too. If the drawing is to scale, than A isn't a great move either. You'd have less than a car length in the front and back.

You guys are also acting like if you choose B, you have to do an emergency stop and swerve into the open space sans warning. I have to agree with Raza here; that shows a gross lack of experience and I believe your naivette is showing itself. Often in heavy traffic on the interstate, there simply aren't any immediate openings, and you have to signal your intentions and wait for the other drivers to accomidate you. I've been in many situations (especially during rush-hour) where that applies. You slow down to match the pace of the ajoining lane, signal to the driver behind you, and hope he lets you in. If not, then you find another opening or another exit.

I voted for A, BTW.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

280Z Turbo

I change my vote to B; as fast as possible and with no turn signal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOO39wyKK4

rohan

Which side is the exit on?  :lol:  I'ld signal and slow into the spot next to me then slow.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2009, 06:54:04 PM

Thirdly, I'm glad I almost impressed you.

Being a good driver is about 5% classroom education, and the rest is practice and skill (which you gain through practice). So even if you had the right piece of paper, you don't have the experience. Which is to say, STFU, even if Raza is a dickface. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122584#msg1122584 date=1248654777
This is news?

No, but that is a new degree. It is the pinnacle of automotive arrogance to assume that you can never cause an accident because you are just so good at paying attention. We all think we're good drivers, and, on this board, we probably are (excepting Benzene and SVT). However, even good drivers can have a brief lapse of attention, and in that time, might wander into another lane, or miss that the light is red, or etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

Quote from: Psilos on July 26, 2009, 08:30:56 PM
No, but that is a new degree. It is the pinnacle of automotive arrogance to assume that you can never cause an accident because you are just so good at paying attention. We all think we're good drivers, and, on this board, we probably are (excepting Benzene and SVT). However, even good drivers can have a brief lapse of attention, and in that time, might wander into another lane, or miss that the light is red, or etc.

or drive too fast on icy roads and turn their midsizer into a compact :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 26, 2009, 08:30:56 PM

Oh, that.  I meant specifically in this hypothetical lane-change situation.  But still, I'm glad that after all these years, I can surprise you with my arrogance.  I thought the honeymoon was finally over!

:lol:

But yes, I did play that part up a bit.  Anyone can make a mistake at any time, obviously, and even I'm not above that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 26, 2009, 08:27:13 PM
Being a good driver is about 5% classroom education, and the rest is practice and skill (which you gain through practice). So even if you had the right piece of paper, you don't have the experience. Which is to say, STFU, even if Raza is a dickface. ;)

Hey!

Oh fuck, I am a dickface.   :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

And I'm not trying to insult you younger guys, but there is a HUGE difference in skill between a new driver (especially someone who only has a permit) and someone with more experience under his belt. That's not an ad hominem; it's simple statistics. Your age group, as proven by accident rates, simply aren't as good drivers as someone with even a few more years under his belt. I thought I was a good driver when I first started--and really I was, especially compared to a lot of my peers--but as you guys will learn, you lack the experience to be lecturing someone who might be 10 years your senior on this topic. Again, that isn't meant as an insult, it's just the simple reality of driving. You will all look back on your life somewhere down the road and realize just how much more capable and skilled (WRT decision-making and confidence) you have become after being out there and doing it.

I recall the conversation I had with my insurance agent before State Farm put me on my parents' policy. He said to me, "Tim, you are more physically capable than I am. Your eyesight is better. Your reaction time is quicker. Your sense of touch, your hearing, your field of vision, all of that is better than mine. That's what you have going for you at this moment. The only thing you lack is experience, but that experience means everything in the world. Hopefully your abilities will allow you to learn the experience of me and your mom and your dad safetly and without incident. You need to know that I'm not trying to put you down, but I want you to take this responsibility seriously, and I want you live to see your 20th, 30th, 40th birthday and the ones afterwords. I wish you all the best."

It's not that we don't have faith in you guys, or think you are all horrible drivers because you're young. We just know that the difference is real and it matters. Raza was a little cranky (as always), but to be honest, he has every right to question your knowledge. I don't care if you've been racing go-karts since you were 2; if you haven't been in public traffic and logged the hours we have, you simply aren't on the same level.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

J86

A well constructed, non insulting post....god what a breath of fresh air.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2009, 07:05:19 PM
Yes, and here comes in the judgment call.  At least you understand you can't have one answer for every situation.
I jumped into said argument thinking you thought the best place in THAT situation was B. Rereading the thread, I see this is not the case. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: J86 on July 26, 2009, 08:50:00 PM
A well constructed, non insulting post....god what a breath of fresh air.

It really was quite nice.  Tave doesn't even like me either.   :lol:

But I'd prefer it if he didn't speak for me when he says things like "It's not that we don't have faith in you guys". 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: J86 on July 26, 2009, 06:59:10 PM
This is a scintillating debate :lol:

No kidding.

BUT, if the image is at all representative then B is definitely the worst option.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122889#msg1122889 date=1248663102
It really was quite nice.  Tave doesn't even like me either.   :lol:

But I'd prefer it if he didn't speak for me when he says things like "It's not that we don't have faith in you guys". 

YOU DON'T HAVE FAITH IN ME!?  :cry: :cry: