Where would you change lanes to?

Started by NomisR, July 24, 2009, 12:52:08 PM

Assuming you have an exit coming up in a 1/2 miles.  The #1 lane is going approximately 65mph, your lane currently is traveling at 70mph.   Your exit is coming up.

Speed up and move into A
25 (71.4%)
Slow down and move into B
2 (5.7%)
Speed up a lot more to move into C
4 (11.4%)
Other (Please explain
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122889#msg1122889 date=1248663102
It really was quite nice.  Tave doesn't even like me either.   :lol:

But I'd prefer it if he didn't speak for me when he says things like "It's not that we don't have faith in you guys". 

:lol:

In all honesty, I think you have a great sense of homour and sound like a fun dude. I know we've had our disagreements, but I'd like to think there's no resentment.

But enough of that sappy shit. Let's cuddle. :wub:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on July 26, 2009, 09:00:08 PM

In all honesty, I think you have a great sense of homour and sound like a fun dude. I know we've had our disagreements, but I'd like to think there's no resentment.

You have soft bobs

CALL_911

Shit, I missed it.

Well, I don't know what to say so I'll just say: Fuck you, cunt.

:huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 26, 2009, 09:00:08 PM

Only if I can get a quick fondle first. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122937#msg1122937 date=1248664354
Only if I can get a quick fondle first. 

I bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 26, 2009, 09:18:48 PM
I bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around.

You bet I am. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122865#msg1122865 date=1248662334
Oh, that.  I meant specifically in this hypothetical lane-change situation.  But still, I'm glad that after all these years, I can surprise you with my arrogance.  I thought the honeymoon was finally over!

But yes, I did play that part up a bit.  Anyone can make a mistake at any time, obviously, and even I'm not above that.

Well, if anyone here was gonna say that, it was either the kids out of naivete, or you, out of arrogance. ;) :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19382.msg1122869#msg1122869 date=1248662405
Hey!

Oh fuck, I am a dickface.   :huh:

It's OK to be a dickface. As long as you know.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on July 26, 2009, 08:47:05 PM
And I'm not trying to insult you younger guys, but there is a HUGE difference in skill between a new driver (especially someone who only has a permit) and someone with more experience under his belt. That's not an ad hominem; it's simple statistics. Your age group, as proven by accident rates, simply aren't as good drivers as someone with even a few more years under his belt. I thought I was a good driver when I first started--and really I was, especially compared to a lot of my peers--but as you guys will learn, you lack the experience to be lecturing someone who might be 10 years your senior on this topic. Again, that isn't meant as an insult, it's just the simple reality of driving. You will all look back on your life somewhere down the road and realize just how much more capable and skilled (WRT decision-making and confidence) you have become after being out there and doing it.

I recall the conversation I had with my insurance agent before State Farm put me on my parents' policy. He said to me, "Tim, you are more physically capable than I am. Your eyesight is better. Your reaction time is quicker. Your sense of touch, your hearing, your field of vision, all of that is better than mine. That's what you have going for you at this moment. The only thing you lack is experience, but that experience means everything in the world. Hopefully your abilities will allow you to learn the experience of me and your mom and your dad safetly and without incident. You need to know that I'm not trying to put you down, but I want you to take this responsibility seriously, and I want you live to see your 20th, 30th, 40th birthday and the ones afterwords. I wish you all the best."

It's not that we don't have faith in you guys, or think you are all horrible drivers because you're young. We just know that the difference is real and it matters. Raza was a little cranky (as always), but to be honest, he has every right to question your knowledge. I don't care if you've been racing go-karts since you were 2; if you haven't been in public traffic and logged the hours we have, you simply aren't on the same level.

Well said! You can have plenty of car handling skill, but that means diddly squat if you don't have the experience to use it.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on July 26, 2009, 09:41:27 PM
Well, if anyone here was gonna say that, it was either the kids out of naivete, or you, out of arrogance. ;) :lol:

Hehe.  As amazing as I am, I'm still human. 

Quote from: Psilos on July 26, 2009, 09:42:05 PM

It's OK to be a dickface. As long as you know.

Does it make me even more of a dickface if I don't try to stop being one?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on July 26, 2009, 09:46:03 PM
Hehe.  As amazing as I am, I'm still human. 

Does it make me even more of a dickface if I don't try to stop being one?

Ee-up. :lol:

omicron

Quote from: rohan on July 26, 2009, 08:26:56 PM
Which side is the exit on?  :lol:  I'ld signal and slow into the spot next to me then slow.

It's in Australia, so you're on the wrong side of the road and cars are coming directly at you from the exit on the right.

NomisR

Quote from: omicron on July 27, 2009, 12:14:17 PM
It's in Australia, so you're on the wrong side of the road and cars are coming directly at you from the exit on the right.

holy crap though.. I never expected this thread to grow like this.  I just wanted to see what you guys would pick because majority of the people on the road I've seen pick B which is what I consider the worse choice out of all considering the distance you have to your exit. 

If you pick B, it just goes to show that you do not know how to look ahead. 

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on July 27, 2009, 12:27:16 PM

holy crap though.. I never expected this thread to grow like this.  I just wanted to see what you guys would pick because majority of the people on the road I've seen pick B which is what I consider the worse choice out of all considering the distance you have to your exit. 

If you pick B, it just goes to show that you do not know how to look ahead. 

+1

It makes no sense to slow down significantly, force someone to make room for you, and piss off the person behind you when you have two viable options ahead that won't do any of that.

68_427

A or further up with every family car but the Outback.
'racecar is die'
no

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

GoCougs

If you don't drive in big city rush hour traffic daily for years on end your opinion is less than worthless; which unfortunately describes at least 95% of you.

Are we all back to being friends now?

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2009, 07:03:23 PM
If you don't drive in big city rush hour traffic daily for years on end your opinion is less than worthless; which unfortunately describes at least 95% of you.

So the opinions of everyone who isn't you aren't valid? :rolleyes:

I have driven in heavy city traffic, the scenario depicted isn't heavy city traffic. Furthermore, taking option B would clearly disrupt traffic, the very thing you should always seek to avoid in city traffic, especially heavy traffic (which this isn't).

I don't drive in heavy traffic on a regular basis, but I have been in situations like this countless times, B is a stupid move because you are forcing a gap where there isn't one when it isn't necessary to do so.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2009, 07:03:23 PM

Cougs, yer a dumbass.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

So yeah, I'd say we're all back to being friends now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2009, 07:28:27 PM
So yeah, I'd say we're all back to being friends now. 

Works every time.

Quote from: Lebowski on July 24, 2009, 01:46:10 PM
I would speed up a lot, move one lane to the left, pass the jerkoff that was directly in front of you (barely in view at the top of the picture) and probably 2-3 more cars in front of him, the move into the right lane and exit.

Yes that's what I'd do in the Vette as well, but that move is dependant on how much HP you've got.  If I was in the Pathfinder (0-60 in 11 seconds) I'd probably go with A.

Honestly alot of horsepower is very convenient in traffic.  Having an obvious sports car is also convenient.  If the car is easily noticable, people seem to get out of your way.  ALso people that usually speed up to box you in during such situations don't even bother because they know you'll easily out pass them. For example, people almost always move out of the left lane when they see the Vette approaching in their lane.  People never move out of the way in the exact same scenario with the Pathfinder.  Another example is when I am stopped at a redlight and two lanes merge into one ahead.  With the Pathfinder or the Supra a good number of people (regardless of the car they drive) will try to beat me to the merge.  When the Z06 rolls up, people usually gently move off the line, unless it's another performance car in the other lane.

Rupert

That also works with giganto-huge-o trucks. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on July 27, 2009, 07:19:58 PM
So the opinions of everyone who isn't you aren't valid? :rolleyes:

I have driven in heavy city traffic, the scenario depicted isn't heavy city traffic. Furthermore, taking option B would clearly disrupt traffic, the very thing you should always seek to avoid in city traffic, especially heavy traffic (which this isn't).

I don't drive in heavy traffic on a regular basis, but I have been in situations like this countless times, B is a stupid move because you are forcing a gap where there isn't one when it isn't necessary to do so.

+1  I drive in heavy traffic daily and assholes that pulls asshole move by moving into B are typically the ones that create traffic jams and backups and would not have happened otherwise.  So GoCougs, people like you causes traffic jams.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 565 on July 27, 2009, 08:28:33 PM
Yes that's what I'd do in the Vette as well, but that move is dependant on how much HP you've got.  If I was in the Pathfinder (0-60 in 11 seconds) I'd probably go with A.

Honestly alot of horsepower is very convenient in traffic.  Having an obvious sports car is also convenient.  If the car is easily noticable, people seem to get out of your way.  ALso people that usually speed up to box you in during such situations don't even bother because they know you'll easily out pass them. For example, people almost always move out of the left lane when they see the Vette approaching in their lane.  People never move out of the way in the exact same scenario with the Pathfinder.  Another example is when I am stopped at a redlight and two lanes merge into one ahead.  With the Pathfinder or the Supra a good number of people (regardless of the car they drive) will try to beat me to the merge.  When the Z06 rolls up, people usually gently move off the line, unless it's another performance car in the other lane.
I do this to other people a lot (except getting out of the left lane, I'm not a left lane camper), but I let the fast car go ahead so I can hear the exhaust. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R