Honda Fit to be positioned below new Civic

Started by BMWDave, August 15, 2005, 12:08:49 PM

ifcar

QuoteThey're going to undercut the Civic price, so it will be pretty inexpensive. Don't expect any standard features though.
There is no way it will be less than 11k.
Sure it could. A Civic DX stickers at around $13,500, just with no A/C or cassette/CD player. They might very well put it below $11K, it just wouldn't have anything. Hopefully they will learn what Toyota did with the Echo that price is very important on a subcompact unless you've got something else going for the product.

TBR

QuoteThey're going to undercut the Civic price, so it will be pretty inexpensive. Don't expect any standard features though.
Sure it could. A Civic DX stickers at around $13,500, just with no A/C or cassette/CD player. They might very well put it below $11K, it just wouldn't have anything. Hopefully they will learn what Toyota did with the Echo that price is very important on a subcompact unless you've got something else going for the product.
Mark my words, it won't be under 11k. Price is important with compacts too yet they completely blew it with the pricing of the current Civic.

ifcar

Mark my words, it won't be under 11k. Price is important with compacts too yet they completely blew it with the pricing of the current Civic.
If they'd blown it, it wouldn't have sold so well. They didn't come close to pricing it competitively, but they moved an astonishing number of them. It's not even a great car, I'd probably take an Elantra first even at the same price, but it certainly sold.

I think pricing on the Fit will depend almost entirely on the pricing of the 06 Civic. I think they'll want to make a fully-loaded Fit less expensive than a midlevel Civic, and an underequipped base model will be priced accordingly.  

Raza

Civics have a cult following, if.  They could sell base models at 15 grand with nothing on them, and they'd still populate car parks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

If they'd blown it, it wouldn't have sold so well. They didn't come close to pricing it competitively, but they moved an astonishing number of them. It's not even a great car, I'd probably take an Elantra first even at the same price, but it certainly sold.

I think pricing on the Fit will depend almost entirely on the pricing of the 06 Civic. I think they'll want to make a fully-loaded Fit less expensive than a midlevel Civic, and an underequipped base model will be priced accordingly.
I agree with the first part completely, but I don't think the base model will be under 11k.  

ifcar

I agree with the first part completely, but I don't think the base model will be under 11k.
It all just depends on how they price the 06 Civic. If they keep the current prices for the new model, I'd say sub-$11,000 for a no-feature car would be perfectly plausible.  

TBR

I think it is quite likely they will jack-up the price to at least Mazda3 levels (which might be acceptable if they do a really, really good job).  

Tom

I'm not so sure of a sub-11 price.  For comparison market value on a base Echo is around $10,700.  If this car intends to fight xA and xB's I don't see it priced at Echo level.

ifcar

QuoteI'm not so sure of a sub-11 price.  For comparison market value on a base Echo is around $10,700.  If this car intends to fight xA and xB's I don't see it priced at Echo level.
A base Echo with no a/c, power nothing, no stereo, no tach, and manual steering, is $10,455 sticker. I'd expect a Fit with a few more niceties (still no A/C, I'm sure) to go for not all that much more than that.

ifcar

QuoteI think it is quite likely they will jack-up the price to at least Mazda3 levels (which might be acceptable if they do a really, really good job).
It's already at Mazda3 levels.  

TBR

QuoteI think it is quite likely they will jack-up the price to at least Mazda3 levels (which might be acceptable if they do a really, really good job).
Really? That's pretty bad.

ifcar

Really? That's pretty bad.
No disagreement there.