Honda Fit to be positioned below new Civic

Started by BMWDave, August 15, 2005, 12:08:49 PM

BMWDave

Honda pegs U.S. sales goal for Scion fighter at 60,000; Fit to be positioned below new Civic
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/15/05
TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. wants to sell about 60,000 Fit economy cars a year in the United States.

"We've got to sell about that number," says Koichi Kondo, CEO of American Honda Motor Co. Inc., who revealed the unofficial sales goal. The Fit is scheduled to go on sale in the United States next spring or summer.

Kondo expects the Fit to appeal to a broad group of customers, including young people and families "who couldn't afford the Civic."

When it goes on sale this fall, the redesigned 2006 Honda Civic will be sportier and more powerful, leaving room for the Fit below it.

Honda has not released prices for the redesigned Civic. The 2005 model starts at $13,810, including shipping.

The Fit will compete with Toyota Motor Corp.'s successful Scion youth brand. At 60,000 a year, Fit sales would be on par with U.S. sales of Scion's two best sellers, the tC and xB. Through seven months of this year, Scion sold 31,964 xBs and 42,767 tCs.

The xB starts at $14,195, including shipping.

Honda's plant in Suzuka, Japan, assembled 249,818 Fits in 2004 for sale in Japan, Europe and Asia. The car is called the Jazz in Europe. The Fit would help Honda achieve its ambitious goal: 4.0 million sales worldwide in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2008. That's up from 3.4 million planned for this fiscal year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

BMWDave

QuoteWhat does it look like?
I just added a picture. :)

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Looks like...a mini van.  But without the sliding doors.

FlatBlackCaddy

It looks awesome.

Wow, can you imagine in 2 years we'll be seeing these things battling vettes and GTO's at stoplights.

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Wow, can you imagine in 2 years we'll be seeing these things battling vettes and GTO's at stoplights.
:D  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.

bobwill

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.
don't forget with their double-infinity-google shot of NOS. ;)

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.
don't forget with their double-infinity-google shot of NOS. ;)
:D  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

They may want to add a sedan version for the US.  

FlatBlackCaddy

or just a better looking version in general.

Raghavan

Raza

QuoteLooks like...a mini van.  But without the sliding doors.
Honda PT Cruiser?  It should be cheaper, though, right?  Along the lines of the Aveo and Aerio?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

It is a Honda, there is no way it will be much cheaper than the PT Cruiser (I believe you can get one for 11k!).

ifcar

They're going to undercut the Civic price, so it will be pretty inexpensive. Don't expect any standard features though.  

Raghavan

ifcar

Tom

Come on, it's not bad looking.  What do you expect for a cheap car that's so small?

ifcar

The Aveo looks pretty nice IMO, if bland.  

Fire It Up

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.
Then itll look so badass this thread will have to be move to the Fast Lane.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuoteThey're going to undercut the Civic price, so it will be pretty inexpensive. Don't expect any standard features though.
Good.  I hate value for money.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.
We ought to move it now!  I just put my order in, and I already bought side skirts, nos stickers, and a wing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteIt looks awesome.

Riced out, of course.
lol

Spooble

QuoteThey're going to undercut the Civic price, so it will be pretty inexpensive. Don't expect any standard features though.
The interiors are actually really nicely done, and remarkably spacious considering the exterior dimensions.  If I were in the market for such a car, I'd take a Fit over a 7G Civic LX--it would be somewhat slower, but otherwise a nicer, more practical car for less money.

BMWDave

The interiors are actually really nicely done, and remarkably spacious considering the interior dimensions.  If I were in the market for such a car, I'd take a Fit over a 7G Civic LX--it would be somewhat slower, but otherwise a nicer, more practical car for less money.
This is the interior, I believe...

Overall, pretty nice looking.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

It could be worse, anyway. I do like the gauges.  

TBR

There is no way it will be less than 11k.

bobwill

The new Honda Fit.  For everyone who wants to relive taking the short bus to school. :D

Laconian

Saw a bunch in China, both the hatch and the "saloon" versions. Very sharp car from all angles! Much better than the current gen Civic IMO. It's popular in China too, which means it can't be too expensive.

If they could cram the Civic Si engine in that with some sticky rubber for less than the tC it would be a great Scion fighter.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

I am sure they could get the Si engine in there but they won't, it is Honda after all.