Beltronics STi Radar detector - undetectable?

Started by SVT_Power, July 27, 2009, 01:09:18 PM

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

Not much point to detectors around here Eddie.

Best to just use the Mark 1 Eyeball...

Problem is that they use Laser almost exclusively here and by the time that hits the detector you are already fucked.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

VTEC_Inside

As a side note, I hit over 180kph passing someone yesterday  :mask:

Guy in a 3.1L Cavalier wagon had thwarted my earlier attempt to pass him in 6th gear, so I went down to 4th the next time.

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 28, 2009, 11:47:24 AM
As a side note, I hit over 180kph passing someone yesterday  :mask:

Guy in a 3.1L Cavalier wagon had thwarted my earlier attempt to pass him in 6th gear, so I went down to 4th the next time.

well there you go  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 28, 2009, 12:03:45 PM
well there you go  :lol:

Lol, but I started at about 120-130, so I only picked up 50kph or so.

Still didn't double my original speed :P

dazzleman

VTEC_Inside, are you looking to reclaim the 'biggest/worst ticket' title from Eddie? :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2009, 03:48:37 PM
VTEC_Inside, are you looking to reclaim the 'biggest/worst ticket' title from Eddie? :lol:

Nah. I was looking to pass the tough guy in the Cavalier wagon that was holding everyone up in the left lane. Every time someone tried to pass him he'd speed up.

I had a Keanu "whoa" moment as I glanced at the speedo when changing back to the left lane.

Thankfully it was on a cop free section of the hwy. The same stretch I usually run up the speedo if I'm so inclined and traffic permits.

dazzleman

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 28, 2009, 06:10:19 PM
Nah. I was looking to pass the tough guy in the Cavalier wagon that was holding everyone up in the left lane. Every time someone tried to pass him he'd speed up.

I had a Keanu "whoa" moment as I glanced at the speedo when changing back to the left lane.

Thankfully it was on a cop free section of the hwy. The same stretch I usually run up the speedo if I'm so inclined and traffic permits.

I want you to take that title back from Eddie.  I'm pulling for you, man..... :evildude: :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hotrodalex

180 kph on the highway is a totally different story than 165 kph in a 60 kph zone.

dazzleman

That's true.  I'm sure VTEC_Inside is a much more responsible driver than Eddie.  I'm just joking around anyway.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2009, 07:08:01 PM
That's true.  I'm sure VTEC_Inside is a much more responsible driver than Eddie.  I'm just joking around anyway.

Responsible? psht....

*Professional driver, closed course... / Computer generated image / etc....

:evildude:

Eye of the Tiger

Pfft. Swift could do that going up hill towing a fifth wheel camper full of fat chicks with elephantiasis.  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on July 28, 2009, 07:38:16 PM
Pfft. Swift could do that going up hill towing a fifth wheel camper full of fat chicks with elephantiasis.  :rolleyes:

That's 180 kilometers per HOUR, not YEAR.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 28, 2009, 07:42:47 PM
That's 180 kilometers per HOUR, not YEAR.

Stupid Canadians and their metric system  :facepalm:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NACar on July 28, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
Stupid Canadians and their metric system  :facepalm:

Without looking it up, how many cubic inches is your Swifts engine?  :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 28, 2009, 08:57:24 PM
Without looking it up, how many cubic inches is your Swifts engine?  :lol:

swift cubic inches

The Pirate

Not as impressive as VTEC's recent performance, but I was on a stretch of highway that is patrolled by troopers, and with a 55mph limit.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 09:10:16 PM
Not as impressive as VTEC's recent performance, but I was on a stretch of highway that is patrolled by troopers, and with a 55mph limit.

It's geared quite short, isn't it?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 28, 2009, 09:22:47 PM
It's geared quite short, isn't it?

Yes, it's one of the few things that I dislike about the car.  Though, all is forgiven on a curvy back road - 3rd gear is just about perfect for that.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 09:44:20 PM
Yes, it's one of the few things that I dislike about the car.  Though, all is forgiven on a curvy back road - 3rd gear is just about perfect for that.

That's about where my 3rd gear ends :)

hotrodalex

The Pirate

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 28, 2009, 09:51:08 PM
That's about where my 3rd gear ends :)

Yeah, 3rd is good for about 83 mph in my car.  Mine is much lower revving, though.  :cry:

hotrodalex

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 09:55:52 PM
Yeah, 3rd is good for about 83 mph in my car.  Mine is much lower revving, though.  :cry:

I can get to at least 100 in 2nd.  :tounge:

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 09:44:20 PM

Oh? I'd think that the acceleration would be appreciated.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: Psilos on July 28, 2009, 10:38:15 PM
Oh? I'd think that the acceleration would be appreciated.

Yeah, there's always that.  But this car has the suds for taller gearing, and a just a little bit taller would be beneficial, IMO.  It revs at about 3400 rpm at 70mph on the highway.  I'm curious to see if it would be more efficient if it turned 3K rpm or thereabouts.  My Honda ran 2800 rpm at 70 mph, with less displacement, power and torque.  So, I think the Proteg? would benefit there.  Also, the acceleration is deceiving, because I need to hit 3rd gear to get to 60 mph (unless I feel like shifting past redline, which I have done).  If it could hit 60 mph in second, then that eliminates a time wasting shift. 

I don't want anything crazy, just each gear to be slightly taller (or a higher final drive ratio).  But you're absolutely right, when I'm on a winding back road, then I have no issues with the short gearing, 'cause it is easy to keep the car in the meat of the powerband.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 10:50:10 PM
Yeah, there's always that.  But this car has the suds for taller gearing, and a just a little bit taller would be beneficial, IMO.  It revs at about 3400 rpm at 70mph on the highway.  I'm curious to see if it would be more efficient if it turned 3K rpm or thereabouts.  My Honda ran 2800 rpm at 70 mph, with less displacement, power and torque.  So, I think the Proteg? would benefit there.  Also, the acceleration is deceiving, because I need to hit 3rd gear to get to 60 mph (unless I feel like shifting past redline, which I have done).  If it could hit 60 mph in second, then that eliminates a time wasting shift. 

I don't want anything crazy, just each gear to be slightly taller (or a higher final drive ratio).  But you're absolutely right, when I'm on a winding back road, then I have no issues with the short gearing, 'cause it is easy to keep the car in the meat of the powerband.

Ouch, that sucks having to go to 3rd for 60mph... I don't think I've ever driven a car where I needed to do that. 2nd in both my cars is right about at 100kph, of course one is revving 6000rpm, and the other 8000rpm :)

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on July 28, 2009, 10:50:10 PM

Psh, there are only four speeds in the MG. It buzzes like crazy on the highway. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Psilos on July 28, 2009, 11:01:58 PM
Psh, there are only four speeds in the MG. It buzzes like crazy on the highway. :lol:

There are only 3 in the Camaro.  :cry:

SVT_Power

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 28, 2009, 10:54:59 PM
Ouch, that sucks having to go to 3rd for 60mph... I don't think I've ever driven a car where I needed to do that. 2nd in both my cars is right about at 100kph, of course one is revving 6000rpm, and the other 8000rpm :)

i need to get to 3rd to 100. 2nd is a little bit shy