Tell me all you know about Corvettes in 1978

Started by Raza , August 15, 2005, 04:18:16 PM

Raza

I saw a C3 Vette split roof parked in a lot with a for sale sign and I had to stop by and take a look at it.  Miraculously, it's a stickshift!  A 4 speed, but hell, it's a stick!

The guy there doesn't know much about it, other than the fact that it's a 78 and the mileage.  He doesn't know about the engine or anything like that, but he gave me the number of the owner.  It looks to be in pretty good shape, other than a few pain chips here and there (it might need a paint job soon).  He's asking 14 grand.

What questions do I need to ask?  What can go wrong?  What engines were offered in this car?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

It likely has a 350 and probably is very low on power due to emission equipment. Don't waste your money or time.

FlatBlackCaddy

Exactly, they are slow and probobly don't handle all that great.

A 4 year old civic offers more performance than that thing.

BMWDave

Yup...Corvettes were absolutely raped by emissions rules, etc.  The engine in that car is making about 190 hp, I believe.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

R33 GT-R

As the above have stated, it's a pig Raza.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

But there is no denying the looks...that Corvette is the best bodstyle, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

TBR

QuoteBut there is no denying the looks...that Corvette is the best bodstyle, IMO.
I prefer the C4 and C2, myself.

BMWDave

QuoteI didn't figure it was even making that.
But the car is heavy, and its not an efficient engine.

and manuals are rare.

2007 Honda S2000

FlatBlackCaddy

it probobly doesn't even make 190hp,

THe mid 80's vettes(still suffering from emissions), only made 5 more hp than a comparable(turbo Z) of the time.

Secret Chimp

I like that body style, but aside from the rare variants that actually had powerful engines, I wouldn't leave one of those things stock. 3-4k for a crate 350 and there you go.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Okay, guys.  Thanks for the warning.  I'll pass.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

Now if you want to pull the engine and build up a shortblock you can make it dance.

TBR

If you're willing to put 6-7k into it you can make it a fast car, but it really isn't worth it imho.

R33 GT-R

QuoteIf you're willing to put 6-7k into it you can make it a fast car, but it really isn't worth it imho.
Yep, unless he just wanted straight line acceleration.  Could you imagine trying to setup that suspension.  Arrrrgh.

FlatBlackCaddy

Sure you can make it fast for very little, but it will still handle like sh*t, just like 95% of the cars of that era.

Raza

I wasn't willing to put more money into it--14K was more than I was willing to spend as is.  I can get a newer 911 for that price.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

14K???

I wouldn't bother with it, you can get such a better car for half of that price.

Raza

Quote14K???

I wouldn't bother with it, you can get such a better car for half of that price.
I thought he was asking alot.  But I bet he's betting that the stick will get him the extra bank.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

Quote14K???

I thought he was asking alot.  But I bet he's betting that the stick will get him the extra bank.
There is an ass for every seat as the car business goes.  

Raza

Quote14K???

There is an ass for every seat as the car business goes.
He's moving out of state--my guess is he won't end up selling it for a penny over 10.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i