RSX-S Long term review :P

Started by VTEC_Inside, July 30, 2009, 11:06:00 AM

VTEC_Inside

Had the thing 5yrs on June 15, 2009 and figured I'd try to sum up my thoughts thus far.

That same day I finally had the transmission TSB work done (last day of warranty)  :ohyeah:, and I also got rear ended on the way home from Acura  :rage:

Damage was pretty superficial (ie no body work), but still resulted in a $2500 bill to my insurance company.

Back to the review... (I'll strive to be linear, but)

Other than speeding tickets its been a pretty uneventful 5yrs.

The only unscheduled repair was the primary O2(AF) sensor at just over 60,000kms, $280.

Interior:
I had my share of rattles in the interior, but was able to subdue most of them with the strategic placement of some foam strips under the cargo area floor lining. That and weak leather is the interiors failing point. I managed to put a scratch in the passenger seat by accident once with my thumbnail. Cleaned up nice with shoe polish, but still.

Ergonomics have been great with the exception of the guage cluster visibility. With my seat and steering wheel position I can't see the top portion of the cluster at a glance. Only once has this left me wondering why the car wasn't slowing down though (cruise was on and I couldn't see it). FWIW I can't really see the turn signal indicators either, but the clicking is fine for that.

The heated seats work quickly and maintain a comfortable temperature. The radio has been good enough to keep me from wanting to replace it. I REALLY wish that it offered and auxiliary in though.

Exterior
Windshield chips far to easily IMO. The whole front of the car seems to draw stray objects like a magnet. My bumper looks like a salt and pepper shaker, and my hood has at least 2 decent dents from crap. The bug deflector is now a permanent resident on my hood and has made a noticeable difference in hood AND windshield impacts.

I thought the rear wiper spray nozzle was broken the first time I used it, but apparently they are supposed to dribble like that.

Driving Experience
Part of the reason I'm even writing this is because of the stupid grin it put on my face not 15min ago. It is simply a blast to wring the shit out of it. I never had a huge problem with the tranny prior to the TSB work, but its been even more buttery since then and is a fricken joy to row through.

I swear I never get bored of winding it up to an indicated 8200rpm (tach is off, fuel cut at 8100rpm, never hit that yet). The only shame is the aforementioned speeding tickets that come as a result. Nonetheless I wound 4th gear up just shy of 190kph one day and I'd be willing to bet that the 750i beside didn't see that coming, lol...

The handling wasn't my thing stock. I put the larger rear sway from the Type R on it and that would prove to be the best $110 I ever spent on the car. It went from having woeful understeer (IMO) to a very neutral feel that will go either way if you want it to.

The stock tires were crap. They were decent enough until you really pushed on it in the dry. Decent enough that I would have bought them again had they not sucked SO HARD in the rain. Driving in the rain on those Michellins was frightening. I did run them right down to the end of the tread blocks though. That MAY have not been such a good idea as the car developed a tendancy to oversteer quite easily. The fear of sliding the ass into a curb was mitigated somewhat by the fun it ended up being. Alas their straight line traction degraded hard towards the end as well. Breaking the tires loose in 2nd gear at 6000rpms may seem like fun (ok it kinda is), but when the intention is acceleration, well...

Daily driver qualities
I still recall wondering wtf I had done within the first week of owning the car. Make no mistake its sprung fairly stiff. This is STILL an issue with me on some shitty roads, but the tradeoff of being able to change direction so quickly is of greater importance to me. Its something that I miss when switching back to my Accord, which is still decent in its own right, but feels like a wet noodle in comparison.

This is not a quiet car either. I mean it can be, but it just feels wrong to drive it that way. Kept under 3000rpms and under 120kph most people wouldn't complain. Beyond that, only enthusiasts need apply. A friend of mine once asked me if I hated the car because I was driving along in 2nd at 5000rpms, lol.. It just doesn't feel like you are taxing the car doing it though.

I think that's about it. What it really comes down is that I still really enjoy driving the thing. I can't say the same for my dad and his "put me to sleep" Highlander... :P
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Glad to see it's gone well!  I just skimmed it, but you're not getting rid of it, are you?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2009, 11:22:57 AM
Glad to see it's gone well!  I just skimmed it, but you're not getting rid of it, are you?

Thought crossed my mind a couple times, but no.

If it were to be totaled tomorrow I would most likely head over to Honda and get a Civic Si Sedan.

A WRX265 hatchback would be a potential as well, but for now I'm not doing anything. I'm just going to enjoy wailing on it with the new tires and refreshed tranny.

NomisR

Good writeup.  Right now, I've been constantly considering replacing mine but for the price and performance and fuel economy, this car is really hard to beat, and still is today. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2009, 12:02:22 PM
Good writeup.  Right now, I've been constantly considering replacing mine but for the price and performance and fuel economy, this car is really hard to beat, and still is today. 

Swift.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2009, 12:02:22 PM
I kind of wish they didn't stop selling the RSX, though I'd rather have a Civic Si sedan (for the practicality).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: thecarnut on July 30, 2009, 12:04:48 PM
I kind of wish they didn't stop selling the RSX, though I'd rather have a Civic Si sedan (for the practicality).

I've driven the Si sedan and the only thing I would miss is the automatic climate control. Its one of those features I would have never cared to have before the RSX, but I barely give the climate control a second thought in that car. I change it between 23-25c throughout the year, dab the A/C on once in a while and thats it.

The Si seems a little more composed than my RSX in a straight line, perhaps the limited slip also limiting the frantic-ness of WOT acceleration in 1st gear.

It almost didn't feel as strong as my car even though it should given the few extra ponies and shorter gearing. I did bang that car off the rev limiter unintentionally at least once or twice though.

It definitely rolls more in corners, but still handles quite well and has a much more comfortable ride.

All in all its pretty much the same car though which is why I'm in no hurry to dump my RSX for one.

sportyaccordy

I like the RSX' motors and build quality, but the somewhat botched geometry when lowered is a deal breaker for me. Still that K-series is a masterpiece of a motor... and while the RSX is a good road car, the changes Honda made to the suspension for the 8th gen Civic Si really gave the K20Z the chassis it needed.

In any case the RSX is def. one of the best small cars of its era, and would probably make a great daily driver regardless.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19433.msg1126367#msg1126367 date=1248974577
Glad to see it's gone well!  I just skimmed it, but you're not getting rid of it, are you?

Lord help someone who'd ask a similar question with a similar justification ("I just skimmed it") after reading one of your reviews. :devil:

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2009, 05:02:28 AM
Lord help someone who'd ask a similar question with a similar justification ("I just skimmed it") after reading one of your reviews. :devil:

:lol:

I read most of it, but I was on my phone, so I skipped over the last few sentences.  It had the feeling of a "this is how this car has been and now I'm selling it" post.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I just skim Raza's reviews.

I don't even read yours, Koko. :mask:

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on July 31, 2009, 10:34:09 AM
I just skim Raza's reviews.

I don't even read yours, Koko. :mask:

who's koko?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 31, 2009, 11:26:28 AM
who's koko?

An 80-year-old woman who works in my office. I don't read her reviews either.

Catman

MexicoCityM3

I believe that you have a great car. I haven't had the chance to drive one but AFAIK it has all the right boxes ticked. Nimble chassis, great quality and a sweet sweet high rpm N/A engine (I love those). How much longer are you keeping it?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

93JC

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 31, 2009, 11:26:28 AM
who's koko?

The ifmeister. He wouldn't reveal his name a couple years back, so Raza and I started calling him Koko.

I know his name now, but to me he's still Koko.

SVT_Power

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2009, 01:57:39 PM
I believe that you have a great car. I haven't had the chance to drive one but AFAIK it has all the right boxes ticked. Nimble chassis, great quality and a sweet sweet high rpm N/A engine (I love those). How much longer are you keeping it?

It's missing the crucial box though. RWD?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 31, 2009, 03:36:03 PM
It's missing the crucial box though. RWD?

With that power (160hp?) and relatively low-torque high rpm engine, I don't think it's that big a deal that its FWD.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2009, 03:44:05 PM
With that power (160hp?) and relatively low-torque high rpm engine, I don't think it's that big a deal that its FWD.

200hp :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJteFJviN0

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on July 31, 2009, 03:53:48 PM
200hp :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJteFJviN0

My bad. I googled it and found a 160hp version. Still, 200hp is manageable through the front wheels.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2009, 03:58:27 PM
My bad. I googled it and found a 160hp version. Still, 200hp is manageable through the front wheels.
RSX is 160 hp, RSX-S is 200
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT_Power

I've only got 200 going to the front as well. Not much torque steer but it's just not as fun as RWD though...

NomisR

It's enough to spin the wheels and get torque steer.  RWD is still the way to go.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: NomisR on July 31, 2009, 04:13:18 PM
It's enough to spin the wheels and get torque steer.  RWD is still the way to go.

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 31, 2009, 04:10:35 PM
I've only got 200 going to the front as well. Not much torque steer but it's just not as fun as RWD though...

I agree with you both. However, I still think the RSX-S is a pretty good car, FWD and all.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2009, 04:16:05 PM
I agree with you both. However, I still think the RSX-S is a pretty good car, FWD and all.

Oh definitely, for the price and what you get.. it's hard to beat.  That's why I have one as my daily driver.. although I'm still thinking about getting something else eventually.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on July 31, 2009, 04:25:10 PM
Oh definitely, for the price and what you get.. it's hard to beat.  That's why I have one as my daily driver.. although I'm still thinking about getting something else eventually.

WAT. I thought Elise was DD. :(

NomisR

Quote from: NACar on July 31, 2009, 04:35:51 PM
WAT. I thought Elise was DD. :(

No, not anymore.. it's a dedicated track car and weekend thing.  My mom was driving my RSX whenever she's in the country when I had the Rx8 but now that she's over in asia mostly, it's my DD now.