EPA - Do they suck or not?

Started by cawimmer430, July 30, 2009, 01:37:33 PM

cawimmer430

Just curious. They recently released "predicted fuel economy" ratings for the Mercedes S400 Hybrid which basically claim it gets the same miserable fuel economy as a Lexus LS600h.

Everybody seems to believe them when the article clearly states that this is PREDICTED FUEL ECONOMY. They basically have not driven the car and yet they want to predict the fuel economy. FAIL. Somebody needs to ring them up and tell them that the S400 Hybrid isn't even a full hybrid but a mild hybrid. I assume these clowns think it is a full hybrid because of the "Hybrid" nomenclature at the rear.  :facepalm:

So now we have everyone slamming the S400 Hybrid claiming it is a joke because it is weaker than the LS600h yet "gets the same fuel economy". Do I have the right to say "FUCK YOU AND YOUR BULLSHIT, EPA" or should I bow down to their all-knowing wisdom?  :thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 30, 2009, 01:37:33 PM
Just curious. They recently released "predicted fuel economy" ratings for the Mercedes S400 Hybrid which basically claim it gets the same miserable fuel economy as a Lexus LS600h.

Everybody seems to believe them when the article clearly states that this is PREDICTED FUEL ECONOMY. They basically have not driven the car and yet they want to predict the fuel economy. FAIL. Somebody needs to ring them up and tell them that the S400 Hybrid isn't even a full hybrid but a mild hybrid. I assume these clowns think it is a full hybrid because of the "Hybrid" nomenclature at the rear.  :facepalm:

So now we have everyone slamming the S400 Hybrid claiming it is a joke because it is weaker than the LS600h yet "gets the same fuel economy". Do I have the right to say "FUCK YOU AND YOUR BULLSHIT, EPA" or should I bow down to their all-knowing wisdom?  :thumbsup:

Call: 1+ (202) 272-0167.  Ask for Lisa Jackson.

ifcar

Usually the "predicted" ratings aren't done by the EPA, but they're what the automaker thinks the EPA will rate it. It's not clear from the quick Googling I've done whether this is a formal EPA rating or not.

Catman

GoCougs

Is there truly objective (i.e., not mag racing) data stating otherwise?

NomisR

EPA = government organization = part of welfare state = bad

:lol:

Tave

Oh, for the love of--

Wimmer, let me save you the suspense: the Benz hybrid is going to be just as stupid a marketing gimmick as the LS. Just do us all a favor, and don't give yourself an aneurism when it happens. It's not worth it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NomisR on July 30, 2009, 02:50:37 PM
EPA = government organization = part of welfare state = bad

:lol:

The free market solution to pollution is to sell carbon filter gas masks to people in California.

S204STi

Honestly, on the whole I'm happy to have the EPA.  I'm glad to drink potable ground water now that we can't just dump whatever we want into the water supply, the air quality of most cities is vastly improved, and we have objective comparisons for the sake of informed shopping to use, albeit with a grain of salt.  So no, the EPA doesn't completely suck.

CALL_911

Quote from: R-inge on July 30, 2009, 03:04:05 PM
Honestly, on the whole I'm happy to have the EPA.  I'm glad to drink potable ground water now that we can't just dump whatever we want into the water supply, the air quality of most cities is vastly improved, and we have objective comparisons for the sake of informed shopping to use, albeit with a grain of salt.  So no, the EPA doesn't completely suck.

+1

I'm also with Tave, the S400 hybrid is just as much a gimmick as the LS600 is.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

I've gotten 25MPG in my dad's V12 S600.  EPA rating's, i've found, are rarely even generally accurate.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

Quote from: Submariner on July 30, 2009, 04:42:36 PM
I've gotten 25MPG in my dad's V12 S600.  EPA rating's, i've found, are rarely even generally accurate.

Everyone gets different mileage based on how they drive. But if you're driving the same way in two different cars, the difference in mileage should be reflected in the EPA figures.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on July 30, 2009, 03:00:01 PM
Oh, for the love of--

Wimmer, let me save you the suspense: the Benz hybrid is going to be just as stupid a marketing gimmick as the LS. Just do us all a favor, and don't give yourself an aneurism when it happens. It's not worth it.

Huh?  :huh:

I'm not crazy about the S400 Hybrid either. I find it's concept better than the LS600h though, which is performance biased. Give me an S350 CDI anyday over this hybrid stuff.

My question is just if the EPA can be trusted. I find it oddly disturbing to release fuel economy data which has not been derived through testing but through estimation.  :facepalm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on July 30, 2009, 02:04:42 PM
Usually the "predicted" ratings aren't done by the EPA, but they're what the automaker thinks the EPA will rate it. It's not clear from the quick Googling I've done whether this is a formal EPA rating or not.

So MB provided the EPA with these ratings basically? Any chance that these poor ratings were deliberately provided to the EPA because the car is actually more efficient? Seems to me that this is usually the case with German manufacturers that tend to underrate their performance data.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2009, 04:01:34 AM
So MB provided the EPA with these ratings basically? Any chance that these poor ratings were deliberately provided to the EPA because the car is actually more efficient? Seems to me that this is usually the case with German manufacturers that tend to underrate their performance data.

If it's a "predicted" rating, it has nothing to do with the EPA. The EPA does not endorse those ratings, it's just what MB is telling magazines it expects to get.

If it was done by the EPA, then it's the true rating based on the tests, not a guess.

Articles online vary on which of those two it was.

r0tor

This months Car and Driver has a pretty good article on the EPA testing... might be on their websitee already - i think its called "A8out EPA Numb3rs" or something like that
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2009, 05:06:49 AM
If it's a "predicted" rating, it has nothing to do with the EPA. The EPA does not endorse those ratings, it's just what MB is telling magazines it expects to get.

If it was done by the EPA, then it's the true rating based on the tests, not a guess.

Articles online vary on which of those two it was.

But why would MB give such poor ratings to the EPA for their own product?

In Europe the S400 Hybrid has continually outperformed the LS600h in terms of gas mileage.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2009, 03:59:53 AM

Huh?  :huh:

I'm not crazy about the S400 Hybrid either. I find it's concept better than the LS600h though, which is performance biased. Give me an S350 CDI anyday over this hybrid stuff.

My question is just if the EPA can be trusted. I find it oddly disturbing to release fuel economy data which has not been derived through testing but through estimation.  :facepalm:

Nothing wrong with estimation if it works.  An example.  In the 40's the government audited Ford Motor company because of the large contracts the military had with Ford.  Henry I had no use for modern accounting practices.  His general philosophy was you took in money and spent money.  If, at the end of the year you had money left over you made a profit.  The auditors were amazed when they discovered that Ford's accounts payable department paid invoices based on the weight of the invoices.  They were even more amazed when they discovered how accurate the system was.

In general the EPA estimation process is pretty accurate.  And as has been pointed out the EPA only test a fraction of vehicles for sale in the US, the remainder of the ratings rely on manufacturer's estimates.

AutobahnSHO

Well, with today's computers & junk all you need to calculate the fuel efficiency is:

-weight of the car
-displacement of the engine
-gearing
-hp (efficiency of the engine)

(Right?)
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 31, 2009, 11:29:33 AM
Well, with today's computers & junk all you need to calculate the fuel efficiency is:

-weight of the car
-displacement of the engine
-gearing
-hp (efficiency of the engine)

(Right?)

Horsepower doesn't tell the efficiency of the engine.

There are countless variables to take into account (efficiency of the drive train, tires, and drag to name a few more important ones).  They can get pretty darn close now though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2009, 05:48:14 AM
But why would MB give such poor ratings to the EPA for their own product?

In Europe the S400 Hybrid has continually outperformed the LS600h in terms of gas mileage.

Because that's what they think it will achieve. I am pretty sure the exact EPA test cycle is available, I am sure that when automakers publish predicted numbers it's simply the result of them running the tests themselves. The EPA tests aren't perfect, and they seem to be especially unpredictable with hybrids.

The S400 is a joke.  It is weaker than the LS600h and yet gets the same fuel economy.  

Lexus >>>  Mercedes

Tave

A joke of a joke, in other words.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Byteme on July 31, 2009, 07:17:55 AM
Nothing wrong with estimation if it works.  An example.  In the 40's the government audited Ford Motor company because of the large contracts the military had with Ford.  Henry I had no use for modern accounting practices.  His general philosophy was you took in money and spent money.  If, at the end of the year you had money left over you made a profit.  The auditors were amazed when they discovered that Ford's accounts payable department paid invoices based on the weight of the invoices.  They were even more amazed when they discovered how accurate the system was.

In general the EPA estimation process is pretty accurate.  And as has been pointed out the EPA only test a fraction of vehicles for sale in the US, the remainder of the ratings rely on manufacturer's estimates.

:ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: TBR on July 31, 2009, 12:54:26 PM
Because that's what they think it will achieve. I am pretty sure the exact EPA test cycle is available, I am sure that when automakers publish predicted numbers it's simply the result of them running the tests themselves. The EPA tests aren't perfect, and they seem to be especially unpredictable with hybrids.

Isn't it risky giving such low ratings to the EPA? I mean why make it look like the LS600h gets the same fuel economy with more power...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2009, 03:45:58 PM
Isn't it risky giving such low ratings to the EPA? I mean why make it look like the LS600h gets the same fuel economy with more power...

You act as though they're making the numbers up...the two cars just seem to perform the same way on the EPA test cycle.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2009, 03:49:33 PM
You act as though they're making the numbers up...the two cars just seem to perform the same way on the EPA test cycle.

I'm totally confused here.

Or is MB doing the usual "underrate" thingy?  :huh:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

I wonder what Wimmer will say about the S400 hybrid since he bashed the LS460h so hard. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 31, 2009, 03:50:13 PM

I'm totally confused here.

Or is MB doing the usual "underrate" thingy?  :huh:
It won't matter once the EPA does their actual testing.

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on July 31, 2009, 06:28:27 PM
I wonder what Wimmer will say about the S400 hybrid since he bashed the LS460h so hard. :lol:

The heritage and history make the shitty fuel economy irrelevant.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi