Just Got a New Mazda CX9!

Started by Catman, July 31, 2009, 11:26:52 AM

S204STi

Quote from: Catman on December 01, 2009, 04:11:27 PM
After a few months I have to say I love this car.  Best vehicle I have ever owned.  It's comfortable, drives great and can fit a good amount of people and stuff.

I only have a couple gripes:

- Dim headlights
- Transmission is a bit slow on down shifts
- No RDS on the radio (sounds great though)

Try these for your low beams and these for your high beams.  Those low beams in particular may be more effective that what you've got.  I couldn't find any over-wattage bulbs for your low beams, though the first bulb is as bright as you can get with legal wattage.

S204STi

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on December 02, 2009, 07:14:29 AM
What's RDS anyway?

Radio Display. It shows you what channel you're on, among other things. It can also advertise commercials and issue emergency alerts through the RDS display.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on December 02, 2009, 07:30:12 AM
Radio Display. It shows you what channel you're on, among other things. It can also advertise commercials and issue emergency alerts through the RDS display.

Ah, thanks.

Catman

Quote from: R-inge on December 02, 2009, 07:13:45 AM
Try these for your low beams and these for your high beams.  Those low beams in particular may be more effective that what you've got.  I couldn't find any over-wattage bulbs for your low beams, though the first bulb is as bright as you can get with legal wattage.

I will try that.  Halogen projectors seem to be weak.

Catman

Quote from: R-inge on December 02, 2009, 08:07:03 AM
Ah, thanks.

More importantly be able to see the song title and artist. :frown:

NomisR

Quote from: Catman on December 02, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
More importantly be able to see the song title and artist. :frown:

I think the Mazda one only does that for the Satelite radio.. don't really listen to music on radio so never found it useful..

S204STi

Quote from: Catman on December 02, 2009, 12:57:03 PM
I will try that.  Halogen projectors seem to be weak.

Yeah, they can be for sure.  They also have a very sharp cutoff for the top of the beam so you don't get much range with them unfortunately, but that first bulb should at least help with seeing stuff on the side of the road and within range of the lights. 

CALL_911

Quote from: mzziaz on December 02, 2009, 03:14:05 AM
Wat?

Is it even possible to get car radios without RDS these days?

My sister's '06 TSX and our old '04 TL didn't have it. 'twas lame.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

Quote from: NomisR on December 02, 2009, 01:06:33 PM
I think the Mazda one only does that for the Satelite radio.

It does for MP3 CDs too, if the metadata on the CD was set up properly. But for regular ol' AM and FM, no, which kind of sucks but... meh. :huh: :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 02, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
My sister's '06 TSX and our old '04 TL didn't have it. 'twas lame.

Yup, plus only power seats and one-touch up/down windows on the drivers side. Why make it so exclusive! Oh, and when you play CDs, no minutes or seconds! That made me the most mad.

93JC

The driver's one-touch up/down is pretty common, but no track time on CDs? WTF?! :nutty:

Catman

Quote from: NomisR on December 02, 2009, 01:06:33 PM
I think the Mazda one only does that for the Satelite radio.. don't really listen to music on radio so never found it useful..

I listen to most AM and you're correct about the SAT radio but I have no need for it.

nickdrinkwater

The head unit in my Ibiza is out of a 1994 Renault Clio (Pioneer/Renault OEM unit) and that has RDS and displays CD track times...

Catman

Just swapped out the Thule 450's I had with 460's which mount directly to the fixed points on the roof.

giant_mtb

Those for skis? Bikes? Kayaks?  Wut.

Catman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 07, 2010, 02:26:28 PM

All of the above.  I have all the attachments! :praise: :ohyeah:

giant_mtb

CJ

Catman

Here's the Thule 450 mounted to the factory rails. 

Too much going on here.  The factory rails are flimsy and are only rated to 100 lbs.

Here's the 460 Kit..... 165 lb rating

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CJ on February 07, 2010, 03:35:29 PM
I think roof racks are sexy.

That must be why they are so damn expensive.

I'm gonna make one like this for the Swift:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Catman

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 07, 2010, 02:26:28 PM

They are so damn handy.  I have all the same attachments as Greg for mine, and change 'em out as activities change with seasons.  Makes it possible to haul a lot of gear with a small car.  I've hauled extension ladders, lumber, and mattresses with it too.  :praise:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

Oooh I need to take a pic with the custom racks I have for the Grandpa Cruiser right now.  8' 4x4s with green astroturf stapled to 'em :lol:

Catman

Awesome.  I have a Thule cargo box I'll be mounting soon.  Going skiing this coming weekend.  We'll just throw all the stuff in there. :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 02, 2009, 03:11:00 PM
The head unit in my Ibiza is out of a 1994 Renault Clio (Pioneer/Renault OEM unit) and that has RDS and displays CD track times...

Europe has always been better about RDS. In fact it's more rare that you find RDS here in the US than not.. ?!
Will

Laconian

I've only found a couple stations that support RDS.

In France the RDS is reliable and accurate. The Traffic feature is incredibly handy, where it will mute a broadcast, wake it back up when a traffic update is being issued, then go back to mute.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 10, 2010, 06:34:57 PM
Europe has always been better about RDS. In fact it's more rare that you find RDS here in the US than not.. ?!

Wow, I wasn't aware of that.

OTOH, you've got that satelite stuff.
Cuore Sportivo