Is This the Spec B We've Been Waiting For?

Started by BMWDave, August 15, 2005, 07:53:20 PM

BMWDave

Video At Link

Exclusive Spy Video and Pics 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B

Is This the Spec B We've Been Waiting For?
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 08-15-2005

There's been no official announcement, but the 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B looks like it's headed for showrooms soon. Our latest spy photos of an undisguised preproduction unit reveal all the details. The most obvious upgrade is in the wheel and tire department as the Spec B gets a set of multispoke 18-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance Bridgestone Potenza RE050A rubber. Behind the larger wheels and tires is a set of Bilstein struts for improved ride control. We didn't get any peeks under the hood, but most rumors suggest that engine improvements aren't expected.

More changes were evident on the inside as the Spec B will get eye-catching red interior trim on the seats and door panels along with aluminum pedals and special floor mats. A navigation system looks to be part of the package as well along with what looked like a premium audio system with steering wheel audio controls.

Most speculation suggests that this special-edition Legacy GT will go on sale later this fall in limited numbers.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

Run Away

It's a classy looking car, that's fo sho.

giant_mtb

QuoteIt's a classy looking car, that's fo sho.
Classy with a helluva lotta sport inside.  B)  

BMWDave

Yup, I love this car...its quite attractive, both inside and out.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Colonel Cadillac

I'm excited for this one to come out.  

footoflead

Wonder if i could talk the folks into one ;) ...actually right now i would settle for an impreza even though its not quite as nice...both pretty sweet cars  B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Raghavan

giant_mtb

QuoteAhhh Subaru. :wub:
Ahhh Troll. :rolleyes:  :lol:
:praise:  :ph34r:

At least I'm not annoying and go around sayin Subaru is the best thing in the world...now that would be trolling.

Raghavan

QuoteAhhh Subaru. :wub:
Ahhh Troll. :rolleyes:  :lol:
:praise:  :ph34r:

At least I'm not annoying and go around sayin Subaru is the best thing in the world...now that would be trolling.
You're annoying me with that huge-ass sig... :lol:  

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

QuoteNo engine improvements?
Many reviews have said that the 2.5GT had a sport sedan lurking inside somewhere, but the suspension was too floppy. If this supposed plan doesn't work, though, it's not like it'd be terribly hard to use the STi's 2.5.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Many reviews have said that the 2.5GT had a sport sedan lurking inside somewhere, but the suspension was too floppy. If this supposed plan doesn't work, though, it's not like it'd be terribly hard to use the STi's 2.5.
It is the STi's 2.5, but it's got less power and is mated to the WRX's 5 speed.  What it does need is that suspension, true.  But now, it's not the performance value it once was.  The Bimmer has now 215bhp and is faster than it was before, and still handles better.  The G35 is pushing 300bhp and is roughly the same price.  Hell, even the Audi 2.0T has some grunt to it, and has a much nicer interior.  Boosting that 250 to 275 would help alot.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

All of the cars you listed are at least $5000 more expensive when comparably equipped.

Raza

QuoteAll of the cars you listed are at least $5000 more expensive when comparably equipped.
Yes, but they also carry premium names which many people are willing to pay for.  Plus, to some, AWD is a turnoff (to buyers like me, for example).  I think it's a great car--you know that, and I tell so many people to look into them when they tell me they're thinking about something in the entry level luxury category, but the badge and gas mileage are turnoffs to many people.  Plus, when equipped with an automatic, you're not getting a whole lot of go compared to more balanced engines like the VQ or 2.5i.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

I seriously hope subie will do some motor changes and bump the hp up, it would be easily within their reach and as stated a bump from 250-275 or 280 with a 6 speed would really round out the package.

Secret Chimp

It is the STi's 2.5, but it's got less power and is mated to the WRX's 5 speed.
Insert world's biggest "DUH". I meant the 300hp version of the 2.5. You should know I know that, sheesh :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

It is the STi's 2.5, but it's got less power and is mated to the WRX's 5 speed.
Insert world's biggest "DUH". I meant the 300hp version of the 2.5. You should know I know that, sheesh :P
:o
:D
Of course, sir Chimp.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

The engine is detuned, so the Legacy's internal computer can be tweaked to make the engine produce something like 50 more horses. $600 later you've got yourself a mean machine.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuoteAll of the cars you listed are at least $5000 more expensive when comparably equipped.
Yes, but they also carry premium names which many people are willing to pay for.  Plus, to some, AWD is a turnoff (to buyers like me, for example).  I think it's a great car--you know that, and I tell so many people to look into them when they tell me they're thinking about something in the entry level luxury category, but the badge and gas mileage are turnoffs to many people.  Plus, when equipped with an automatic, you're not getting a whole lot of go compared to more balanced engines like the VQ or 2.5i.
I agree that those cars do have a badge advantage over the Subaru, but that doesn't mean the Subaru needs more hp, it can already outrun or at least keep up with every sports sedan under $40,000, including the 330i.

Raza

I agree that those cars do have a badge advantage over the Subaru, but that doesn't mean the Subaru needs more hp, it can already outrun or at least keep up with every sports sedan under $40,000, including the 330i.
With a hard launch to 60, you're just slipping below 6 seconds, a feat that the G35 has been doing for quite a while, and that the old 330i performance package could do, and the new 330i can do easily as well.   With AWD, as well, the RWD competitors pull away after that.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Car and Driver got 5.7 seconds to 60 for a '05 GT Limited, better than any time they have gotten for the G35 and only a tenth slower than the time they got for a E90 330i. And, an important little note, the GT is a full $10,000 cheaper than a 330i (base $26,245 compared to $36,995 for a 330i) and is $5000 cheaper than a G35 6mt.

giant_mtb

QuoteCar and Driver got 5.7 seconds to 60 for a '05 GT Limited, better than any time they have gotten for the G35 and only a tenth slower than the time they got for a E90 330i. And, an important little note, the GT is a full $10,000 cheaper than a 330i (base $26,245 compared to $36,995 for a Legacy) and is $5000 cheaper than a G35 6mt.
Go Subaru!  :praise:  

Fire It Up

QuoteCar and Driver got 5.7 seconds to 60 for a '05 GT Limited, better than any time they have gotten for the G35 and only a tenth slower than the time they got for a E90 330i. And, an important little note, the GT is a full $10,000 cheaper than a 330i (base $26,245 compared to $36,995 for a 330i) and is $5000 cheaper than a G35 6mt.
I dont think they ever tested the 300HP version though.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

True, however even with an extra 38hp it shouldn't make much of a difference as the new engine is down on torque compared to the old one. A 298 hp G35 would likely have a 5.7 time since the old one took 5.9 seconds to get to 60.