RAV4 Going Big in 2006

Started by BMWDave, August 15, 2005, 07:54:18 PM

BMWDave

RAV4 Going Big in 2006
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 08-15-2005

After hearing the words "cute 'ute" one too many times, Toyota has decided to upsize its entry-level compact sport-utility. The 2006 Toyota RAV4 will add a few inches in nearly every direction in order to reduce the cute and add some 'ute. Expected to go on sale later this year, the next-generation RAV4 probably won't look much like the cobbled-together test mule in our photos. Various guesses at the styling range from a mini Tundra to a more futuristic, slab-sided stealth bomber look. We're guessing none of them are very close.

Along with the larger size, the 2006 RAV4 may also get a larger engine, at least as an option. Most speculation points to the use of 3.0-liter V6 with upward of 230 horsepower, but no concrete details have been released. The current model is one of the few compact sport-utilities with four-cylinder power only.

Although it's not clear in the pictures, a third row of seats is also rumored to be part of the package. The current model barely has enough room for the second row, but the larger overall size of the 2006 model may provide just enough room to squeeze in an extra seat for very small children in back.

The RAV4 may show up as early as September at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Sales are expected to begin late this year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

what is the point of a bigger Rav4? The Highlander already covers that market for Toyota.

Run Away

Yeah, bad move I say.

Speaking of the Highlander, it looks like that's all this mule is, a Highlander with RAV4 headlights

ifcar

The mule is surprisingly attractive IMO. I agree that making it too large and giving it a third row would eat into the Highlander and abandon the smaller market. Perhaps the intend to make the next Highlander more crossover-looking.

Raghavan

Colonel Cadillac

That's no good. I have been told that the Rav4 was reasonably fun to drive because it was so small and weighed so little. Now, its going to turn into a regular SUV and that's no fun. It's like the IS300 -->IS250/350 redesign.  

Secret Chimp

This thing is huge... a third row in a "compact" SUV? What is this thing even competing with now?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

The next gen Outlander I guess (Mitsubishi is also making it big enough for a 3rd row).  

giant_mtb

Cars are just getting bigger and bigger.  :ph34r:  

ifcar

QuoteThe next gen Outlander I guess (Mitsubishi is also making it big enough for a 3rd row).
And the XL-7 and the next Santa Fe.

TBR

The Xl-7 has always had a 3rd row and Suzuki doesn't sell large or midsize suvs like Toyota and Mitsubishi do (neither does Hyundai for that matter, I didn't realize the next Santa Fe was going to seat 7).

dave998

QuoteThe mule is surprisingly attractive IMO. I agree that making it too large and giving it a third row would eat into the Highlander and abandon the smaller market. Perhaps the intend to make the next Highlander more crossover-looking.
I thought it was already stated that the highlander was going to be a crossover? They even had a highlander concept that showed it as a crossover.  

ifcar

It was a very radical concept, I doubt it will make it into production looking like that. But that does make it more likely that it will be more of a crossover, and leave the people who want more of an SUV with the 4Runner.