Full Test: 2005 Ferrari F430 Spider

Started by BMWDave, August 15, 2005, 07:56:14 PM

BMWDave

Link

Alluring Arachnid
By Karl Brauer
Date posted: 08-15-2005

The first thing the cop says is, "I'm not going to give you a ticket because this is the first Ferrari I've ever pulled over."

Sure, he made it sound like we were getting off lucky, but to be fair we hadn't really done anything illegal in our bright red 2005 Ferrari F430 Spider. The sharp right-hander, located in rural Southern California, had a "15 mph" advisory speed sign. We slowed appropriately, banged out two perfectly executed downshifts (easily done with the F1 paddle shifter) and blasted right back up to a totally legal 50 mph.

Problem is, when you "blast" up to 50 mph in a Ferrari F430 Spider it's almost as heart-stopping, and attention-grabbing, as a shuttle launch. The V8's 483 horsepower creates a shrieking exhaust wail that could be considered highly offensive ? if it wasn't so damn melodic. At least, we found it melodic. Officer Tulley probably found it highly intrusive and belligerent on this otherwise placid roadway. But that doesn't make it illegal, right? It would seem so, as he let us off with a warning, plus a wave and a smile.

The officer's reaction was not uncommon during our too brief time in Maranello's latest creation. Everywhere we took the F430 we got smiles, waves and thumbs up. But the most unexpected response came on the curly canyon roads when encountering slower traffic.

People pulled off to the side of the road to let us by!

Depending on where you live this might not seem worthy of mention. But trust us when we tell you that California drivers aren't particularly known for "yielding to faster traffic" ? unless, apparently, the faster traffic is blood red, emits a siren song and has two bumper-mounted air intakes that could each swallow a fully grown Saint Bernard.

Power Station
Passing the slower traffic, even without their cooperation, is a no-brainer with the F1 tranny. Tug the left-hand paddle twice, take a moment to relish the computer-controlled throttle blips and matched engine revs, then dip into the 343 pound-feet of torque available from the 4.3-liter V8. We drove the F430 coupe last year, and the soft-top version feels every bit as lively ? even with the 150-pound weight gain over the hardtop.

Performance testing backed up our seat-of-the-pants impressions, with a 0-to-60 time of 4.6 seconds and a quarter-mile run in 12.4 seconds at 125.3 mph. While the F1 paddle-shifter makes upshifts and downshifts almost child's play, getting the F430 Spider off the line requires a deft right foot.

In Europe this same model comes with Ferrari's coveted "Launch Control" system, but liability concerns kept that feature from making it to U.S. shores. This means the only way to get an F430 Spider off the line quickly is to turn off all driver aids and boot the throttle. At this point things happen quickly, with the engine roaring up to about 5,000 rpm, the electrohydraulic clutch dropping and the rear wheels clamoring for traction ? all in less than half a second.

Pedal it properly and you can pull a low 4-second 0-to-60 time. Get it wrong and you either send up a cloud of Pirelli air pollution (too much throttle) or you nearly stall the engine (too little throttle). Our 4.6-second time represents a semisuccessful balance between the two, but we're convinced a few more tenths were available. Maybe if the tranny didn't cost $10,000 we would have kept trying until we got it right, but we decided it was better to give the car back to Ferrari with its clutch intact.

Cone Head
No such worries arose when running through the slalom. The F430's various driver settings allowed us to confidently rip between the cones with minimal interference from the stability control system. Using the F1-inspired steering wheel dial, or manettino, you can set the car up for everything from driving on packed snow to running a professional race event. There are a total of five settings that moderate not only stability control but also suspension settings, electronic differential behavior and transmission aggressiveness. We put it in "RACE" mode and pulled a 68.9 mph, our fastest slalom speed yet.

Think of the "RACE" setting as Ferrari's version of "Competitive Driving" mode on the Corvette; enough leeway to have fun, but with the reassurance that if something goes awry the electronic nannies will swoop in and prevent a costly insurance claim. You can also dial up "CST" mode with the manettino, meaning no stability control aids whatsoever. In this mode it's easy to swing the 285 series rear tires wide in corners ? almost too easy.

We're not sure if the new electronic differential (first seen on the F430 coupe) is what contributes to the car's somewhat snappy nature, but we do know that turning stability control off, and getting on the throttle during corner exits, tended to bring the rear end around more abruptly than we expected. And while this could have proven tricky in lesser cars, the F430's predictable and communicative chassis allowed us to balance the sudden oversteer with tiny steering wheel corrections.

Braking is similarly in line with the F430's exotic nature, both in terms of design and capability. The 13-inch vented and cross-drilled rotors are grabbed by four piston calipers, and they managed to slow the car from 60 mph to zero in a neck-straining 109 feet.

Alloy Abound
Credit the car's catlike reflexes to its all-aluminum chassis and double wishbone suspension (also all aluminum). In the transition from coupe to convertible, Ferrari stiffened the chassis in three areas: beneath the A- and B-pillars, inside the door mounts, and along the base of the windshield. This added the aforementioned 150 pounds, but the company claims a 10-percent increase in torsional resistance and 5-percent increase in bending resistance compared to the 360 Spider. They also point to a 37-percent increase in frontal-impact resistance, and a 105-percent increase in rear-impact resistance (allowing the F430 to easily meet the latest U.S. crash standards).

We didn't test that aspect of the F430, but we did enjoy the fully automatic power top that folds completely out of sight in about 20 seconds. That's good, because if a $20,000 Miata drives up you'll want to stow that plastic rear window ASAP, before the driver points out how he could have bought 10 Miatas, each with a glass rear window, for what you paid for your "premium" sports car. But Ferrari claims the plastic window is "the ideal solution, as it doesn't affect the weight distribution or the handling." OK.

On the upside, wind buffeting is minimal with the top down, even before putting the rear deflector in place between the seats. Do that, raise the side glass, and you can cruise at 75 mph with no more turbulence (and less wind noise) than in a luxury sedan with an open sunroof. Similarly, with the top up there is minimal wind and road noise at speeds up to, and beyond, 80 mph.

Not Perfect, So What
Of course no car is perfect, and if you wanted to nitpick you could call out the 2005 Ferrari F430's loud, long and highly annoying warning beeps whenever you insert the key, unbuckle your seatbelt or start the engine. Then there's the switchgear, which like the plastic rear window doesn't really line up with the $200,000 price tag. And what's with the grinding noises as the top stows and folds? Certainly a $33,000 Honda S2000 doesn't suffer from any of these failings.

But if you buy one of those instead, and then see flashing lights in the rearview mirror, don't expect the cop to say, "I'm not going to give you a ticket because this is the first Honda I've ever pulled over."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

I'd give $1000 if I could just get my car to sound like a Ferrari.

I love the sound.

TBR

the F430 is one of the few Ferraris I like, but I don't care for the spyder version.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

R33 GT-R

R33 GT-R

TBR

R33 GT-R

QuoteThis looks much better imho:
I like it better as well, but we know which one the women will like more.   :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteThis looks much better imho:
It does, but the spyder looks great with the top down, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Colonel Cadillac

jadewolf123

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

R33 GT-R

Quoteshakaka
Poonakaka!

The last red pic, the car looks like it's moving while sitting still.  Stunning.

Raghavan

giant_mtb

Quotethat 0-60 time is horrible.
:blink:  

BMWDave

Edmunds typically gets slow times...

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

4.6 isn't slow.  It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.  

BMWDave

Quote4.6 isn't slow.  It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.
I believe he meant for the particular car ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

:blink:
C/D got a whole second faster.

giant_mtb

Quote4.6 isn't slow.  It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.
It still isn't slow, regardless.

BMWDave

Quote4.6 isn't slow.? It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.
For that particular car, its a slow time to get.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quote4.6 isn't slow.  It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.
Yes, Bob is right.

R33 GT-R

Well it's not stellar by many cars standards today but there is something at work much faster than the 0-60 time with this car.  That's the time it takes for the supermodel next to you to eat your cock.

ifcar

"Pedal it properly and you can pull a low 4-second 0-to-60 time. Get it wrong and you either send up a cloud of Pirelli air pollution (too much throttle) or you nearly stall the engine (too little throttle). Our 4.6-second time represents a semisuccessful balance between the two, but we're convinced a few more tenths were available. Maybe if the tranny didn't cost $10,000 we would have kept trying until we got it right, but we decided it was better to give the car back to Ferrari with its clutch intact."

BMWDave

Quote4.6 isn't slow.? It might be slow for that particular car, but it sure as hell isn't slow.
"Pedal it properly and you can pull a low 4-second 0-to-60 time. Get it wrong and you either send up a cloud of Pirelli air pollution (too much throttle) or you nearly stall the engine (too little throttle). Our 4.6-second time represents a semisuccessful balance between the two, but we're convinced a few more tenths were available. Maybe if the tranny didn't cost $10,000 we would have kept trying until we got it right, but we decided it was better to give the car back to Ferrari with its clutch intact."
Once again, I'm not faulting them for wanting to save the clutch, but C/D got 3.6 to 60, so it is a slow time, whether they were doing it on purpose or not.  And a few tenths of a second faster doesnt add up to one whole second faster.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

I wouldn't want to try it for too long either, I bet a clutch replacement costs as much as a small home.

JYODER240

Ferrari's aren't about the numbers :praise:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

The Spyder has won me over on the 430--I really like it.  But, I'd love to see a 430TS...Andre?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

a 430TS would have a targa style roof, right?