Ford Fiesta's Rule at X-Games

Started by SVT666, August 05, 2009, 01:58:41 PM

SVT666

08-04-09: The new production-based Ford Fiesta rally cars were fastest all week, so it came as no surprise that the Fiesta dominated Sunday?s X Games Rally Competition Finale, claiming two spots on the podium and three of the top four overall in the car's debut appearance.

Kenny Brack, the 1999 Indianapolis 500 winner, driving the Olsbergs Motorsport Evolution Ford Fiesta, captured the gold medal at X Games 15, defeating 2008 champion Travis Pastrana in the Super Special Rally Final. Brack?s teammate Tanner Foust captured the bronze medal in the ROCKSTAR Fiesta, narrowly losing a thrilling semi-final match-up with Brack. Brian Deegan, the Motocross star turned rally racer, finished fourth overall when he lost a turbo hose on his ROCKSTAR Fiesta during a semi-final match-up with Pastrana.

"The Ford Fiesta was a great car and this victory is the result of a lot of hard work by the Olsbergs team,? said Brack, who became the first invited driver to the X Games rally competition to win. ?The Fiesta is a great car, very fast, especially on tarmac. The whole package was fantastic. We ran a single set of BFGoodrich tires today and never had any problem. I almost destroyed the car in practice this morning because I never jumped the jumps before and because it is a different technique I landed on the nose and ripped the roll bar and everything off of the car. We managed to regroup and the crew worked hard to get it ready for the elimination rounds. After that first problem, the jumps all went fine. You can dream about something like this, but the reality is often different. But today, everything fell our way.?

Brack, who has been retired from competitive racing since running the 2005 Indy 500, drove the 450-horsepower Olsbergs MSE Fiesta brilliantly, clinching the gold when his competition, Pastrana, spun wide and clipped the wall in the finale. Brack?s toughest competition came in the semi-final when he raced neck and neck with his teammate Tanner Foust. Brack edged Foust when Foust suffered a miscue on course.

?The Fiesta was running good and unfortunately Kenny and I got stuck up against each other in the semi-finals so it was Fiesta vs. Fiesta,? said Foust, who described the Fiesta as ?an angry little beast? earlier in the week. ?Ford had three of the final four, which shows the strength of the car. I was a little slow against Kenny on the first half of the track, but on the second half I made it up and I think I may have passed him a little bit. Then coming around the fountain a barrier had moved in the competition and I just made an error and I drove up basically his lane instead of mine and I had to do a 180 and come back and that cost me at least 4 or 5 seconds and Kenny took it. He is an amazing driver and Kenny has such a big background and he deserves it. Best of all, Ford has 1 and 3 at the X Games and that is a lot of hardware.?

Deegan, driver of the ROCKSTAR Ford Fiesta, finished fourth when he lost his turbo power against his old rival Pastrana. ?Rally is over and it was a fun day for me with it being my first time doing the rally at X Games,? said Deegan, a 10-time medalist at X Games. ?I had a good time in the car out there ripping around. I ended up not getting any practice this morning because they cut it short which didn?t help me much, so I went out and hit the jump a little too fast in my prelim and endoed and smashed it a little bit and popped my turbo hose off. So I luckily finished the round and got through and my next round was with [Ken] Block and going off the course all crazy made my turbo hose pop off again. With the quick turnaround for the last run against Pastrana, they couldn?t get the turbo hose on right and I went out with no power and I came up for the jump and thought it was all or nothing and since I didn?t want to crash the car, I went around the jump and just finished the race. There is always next year. Up to that point I was kicking butt and I was surprised with my driving. Hopefully, next year, I am in a Ford Fiesta and I can win a medal.?

Pommes-T

Even if you get chased by some baddies in a Corvette in a shopping mall, this car is doing great!

'00 BMW 523i

r0tor

Unless I got a really good job here that I enjoy, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell I could stay in the same place after college.
i watched it on sunday....

Block and Pastrana were fast enough to win in their subaru's but too big of bewbs to do so.  Block cracked a wall anddamaged his rear suspenion or drivetrain it looked like and then couldn't make it over the 70ft jump in the course so he aborted it and they DQ'd him.  Pastrana was beating Brack in the finals but then lodged his car sideways on the track and he gave up.

Foust was damn quick in his Fiesta but made a mistake and lost to Brack towards the end.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

hotrodalex

I noticed that the Fiesta's were the best cars to go over the jump in. Almost every single jump was perfect, whereas the Mitsubishi Evos were nosediving if the driver didn't go over exactly correct. The Subarus weren't bad, but not as good. They also seemed to spin the tires while drifting around turns. That may be the drivers, but it's just something I noticed.

r0tor

I think the tire smoke is more of a driver thing.  Brack is a former indy car driver so he has a "grip" style where Pastrana and Block are starting there very young racing careers in rally where its typically more of a slide style.

And yes, those EVO's have to be horribly nose heavy
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on August 06, 2009, 11:05:28 AM
I think the tire smoke is more of a driver thing.  Brack is a former indy car driver so he has a "grip" style where Pastrana and Block are starting there very young racing careers in rally where its typically more of a slide style.

And yes, those EVO's have to be horribly nose heavy

The different driving styles were pretty evident. Pastrana/Block/Mirra were always one of the fastest in the dirt section, whereas Brack was faster on the pavement.

Was it Foust or Brack that was the super fast one on the long straight? I can't remember. But whoever it was, they just took off when they got to that part.

r0tor

i think it was brack mostly because of his good technique on the exit of the turn before the straight... i noticed after the hairpin where the rally drivers had the edge his car didn't look as fast back down that same straight

the Teuton

Ford Fiesta is Rule at X-Games?

Really?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

In Rally America Subaru pwns all.

/thread

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on August 06, 2009, 07:12:53 PM
In Rally America Subaru pwns all.

/thread

And that's not going to change for a while.  X-Games rallying is glorified monster truck racing.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on August 06, 2009, 06:03:43 PM
Ford Fiesta is Rule at X-Games?

Really?

Or, the rule of Ford Fiesta at X-Games.  Which makes sense.

:devil:

MX793

I missed it on the first go around but saw the event replayed tonight.  Not surprising the Fiestas did well considering they were all purpose-built, factory race cars (hint:  Ford doesn't sell an AWD turbo Fiesta for the street).  Pastrana's STI was probably the only car there on equal ground as far as hardware goes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on August 06, 2009, 07:14:39 PM
And that's not going to change for a while.  X-Games rallying is glorified monster truck racing.

I'd actually say it's more akin to 4-wheeled supermoto/supermotard combined with the European ROC head-to-head event.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5