Rough idle

Started by 93JC, August 10, 2009, 09:15:31 AM

93JC

So, I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor in my car last weekend. It has been idling erratically ever since. It almost feels like it's ~50 rpm too low, but I think it may be missing.

Is it fair to assume I buggered up at least one of the plug gaps?

The Pirate

It's a piece of shit, you should probably borrow Nick's flamethrower and torch that sucker.  Then, finally buy something.

Could be lots of things.  Is it just a rough idle (that wasn't there before)?  Car accelerates okay and has no drivability issues?  Double check your work.  And yeah, start with the plugs themselves.  I buy them pre-gapped, but almost always double check.  Had to made an adjustment once.

Is there a CEL?

I've actually never had to work on a distributor before.  Could that be the source of the problem?

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

93JC

Quote from: The Pirate on August 10, 2009, 02:34:07 PM
It's a piece of shit, you should probably borrow Nick's flamethrower and torch that sucker.  Then, finally buy something.

:evildude:

QuoteCould be lots of things.  Is it just a rough idle (that wasn't there before)? Car accelerates okay and has no drivability issues?

Yup.

QuoteDouble check your work.  And yeah, start with the plugs themselves.  I buy them pre-gapped, but almost always double check.  Had to made an adjustment once.

There is such a thing as pre-gapped spark plugs? I've never seen them pre-gapped. Bang-up fucking idea though.

QuoteIs there a CEL?

Nope.

QuoteI've actually never had to work on a distributor before.  Could that be the source of the problem?

Thought of that, in that the timing might be off. But I can't physically change the timing, it's still computer controlled. And it's not as though I installed the rotor incorrectly: it's keyed in with a screw.

SVT32V

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 09:15:31 AM
So, I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor in my car last weekend. It has been idling erratically ever since. It almost feels like it's ~50 rpm too low, but I think it may be missing.

I suspect that you either knocked off/left off a vaccum line or have a bad wire.  Sometimes these new wires are not the highest quality especially the wire to electrode interface.

Try putting the old wires back on one at a time to see if you can rule that out.

This is a 4.0 liter EFI?

93JC

Quote from: SVT32V on August 10, 2009, 03:34:26 PM
I suspect that you either knocked off/left off a vaccum line

This is what I originally thought. But I only disconnected one line in the process of replacing the plugs, and correctly reattached it.

However there was a rubber line attached to the air filter box which has gone missing. It was a short 90? elbow that didn't actually terminate anywhere, so I figured it's just a drain line to prevent the engine from sucking in water. Not that big a deal. :huh:

This is for my Spirit, so 3.0 L Mitsubishi V6.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 09:15:31 AM

Did replacing the rotor require removing the distributor?  If so I think you should check to see if you reinstalled it a tooth off.

93JC

No, all I had to do was take off the cap. I didn't yank the distributor shaft out.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 04:25:31 PM
No, all I had to do was take off the cap. I didn't yank the distributor shaft out.

Did you use the correct spark plugs?

93JC

What do you mean 'correct'?! They looked like the old ones except they were clean. What more could you ask for?

GoCougs

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 04:51:57 PM
What do you mean 'correct'?! They looked like the old ones except they were clean. What more could you ask for?

At a minimum, heat range and resistor vs. non-resistor.

93JC

I used the plugs the book in the parts store recommended.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 05:54:23 PM
I used the plugs the book in the parts store recommended.

I once looked at a Yukon for such an issue and missed the fact that they have plugs that were about 1/8" too short, so basically the spark kernel was shrouded.  I think he got his plugs from a parts store too.

FoMoJo

Didn't mix up a couple of plug wires did you?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

My Duster never had a rough idle. Maybe that's because of the Flowmaster. Best money I ever spent on that car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

The new plugs are exactly the same size as the old ones. No I didn't mess up the plug wires (I'd have much more trouble if I did).

We're not talking a huge problem here, it's just a slight shudder at idle every few seconds.

JWC

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 07:04:44 PM
The new plugs are exactly the same size as the old ones. No I didn't mess up the plug wires (I'd have much more trouble if I did).

We're not talking a huge problem here, it's just a slight shudder at idle every few seconds.

You can't trust "pre-gapped" spark plugs.  Pull'em and recheck'em.   I've sold them and I've used them and every so often you get one with the gap too tight as if the plug was dropped.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on August 10, 2009, 07:50:03 PM
You can't trust "pre-gapped" spark plugs.  Pull'em and recheck'em.   I've sold them and I've used them and every so often you get one with the gap too tight as if the plug was dropped.

A Flowmaster would be much more constructive than gapping the plugs.

Secret Chimp

I bought some AutoCrap wires for my Accord and it had an awful intermittent misfire, like stabbing the brakes on the highway. I had to return them.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 10, 2009, 08:23:21 PM
I bought some AutoCrap wires for my Accord and it had an awful intermittent misfire, like stabbing the brakes on the highway. I had to return them.

I bet you didn't have a Flowmaster, either. Are you guys seeing the common denominator here? It's right in your faces.

Rupert

I've heard a lot of stories about bad plug leads...

Even with Flowmasters.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Psilos on August 10, 2009, 11:17:04 PM
I've heard a lot of stories about bad plug leads...

Even with Flowmasters.
That's BS. :rolleyes:

The Flowmasters replace the spark plugs. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2009, 07:04:44 PM

Even though it's not an Astron it thinks it is, and hence is shuddering its way into the pah-pah hall of fame.

93JC

Ha! I started yanking the plugs this morning and found the insulator on #4 was broken. I went back to the shop and exchanged it for a new one. :praise:

93JC

Booya! Problem solved. :praise:

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on August 16, 2009, 10:18:50 AM
Ha! I started yanking the plugs this morning

I'll bet you did.

93JC