NSX successor may get all-wheel drive

Started by BMWDave, August 16, 2005, 02:32:22 PM

BMWDave

NSX successor may get all-wheel drive in addition to V10, Honda says
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/16/05
TOKYO - Honda Motor Co. is looking at installing its high- performance all- wheel- drive system in the successor to the Acura NSX.

The new car, which will be powered by a V10 engine, is scheduled to arrive about 2008.

"Of course, we're thinking" about combining all-wheel drive with the V10, says Takeo Fukui, Honda's president. "The SH-AWD is Honda's core technology, and using this well is the next step."

The company says SH-AWD - short for Super Handling All-Wheel Drive - is the first awd system to distribute optimum torque between the front and rear wheels and between the left and right rear wheels.

It was first installed on the Acura RL last fall. After its debut, Fukui said Honda would be looking to use it on other high-performance Acuras.

During aggressive driving, as much as 70 percent of the torque is delivered to the rear wheels, the company says.

During a high-speed turn, the differential also sends as much as 100 percent of the rear-wheel torque to either wheel. This improves traction and helps avoid spinouts.

In the United States, Acura sold 10,173 RLs this year through July, up from 3,149 in the same period of last year.

The company has said that the NSX successor won't be front drive, meaning it will be either rear drive or awd. Production of the NSX will stop at year end. The NSX and the S2000 are Honda's only rwd cars.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't see what the benefit of SH-AWD would be on a mid engined supercar.

This just seems more like they are throwing the AWD system a bone. Personally i think they should just keep the NSX a mid engined rwd car and just move up to the V-10.  

FlatBlackCaddy

"The SH-AWD is Honda's core technology"

I don't get what they mean by core technology, its a new AWD system and the only vehicle it has been in is the RL, which is barely a sports sedan. Its a unproven(for sports cars/performance vehicles) AWD system i don't think they should just start throwing it into everything they make just for the sake of advertising hype.

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe company says SH-AWD - short for Super Handling All-Wheel Drive - is the first awd system to distribute optimum torque between the front and rear wheels and between the left and right rear wheels.
Okay well that's just an out and out lie.

FlatBlackCaddy

Ohh let them have their moment in the sun.

SJ_GTI

QuoteOhh let them have their moment in the sun.
:P

It is actually kind of funny. they are one of the last makes to finally jump on the AWD bandwagon but to hear it from them you'd think they invented it.  :lol:

Seriously though do they think no one has heard of Quattro, Attesa, or Subaru?!?

Raza

QuoteI don't see what the benefit of SH-AWD would be on a mid engined supercar.

This just seems more like they are throwing the AWD system a bone. Personally i think they should just keep the NSX a mid engined rwd car and just move up to the V-10.
If they offered two models, I'd be fine with that.  

The latest spy shot on the next NSX!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

honda fan boys have heard of them, but they don't even know how they work.

I've seen the 300ZX being called FWD on a few, more popular honda boards.

But yes, honda's awd system, last one to the game and they brought the sh*ttiest ball.

Raza

It is actually kind of funny. they are one of the last makes to finally jump on the AWD bandwagon but to hear it from them you'd think they invented it.  :lol:

Seriously though do they think no one has heard of Quattro, Attesa, or Subaru?!?
Subaru's system is rather simple--a straight 50/50 split.  Audi doesn't actively supply power to one wheel, though 70% of power can be routed through a single wheel.  ATTESSA doesn't route cross-axle, I don't believe.  

I think Quattro's better than Soooper Handling AWD anyway.  I don't like too many computers making decisions in my car.  Next thing?  Terminator 3.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

The latest spy shot on the next NSX!
:lol:

"Ideally balanced 60/40 weight distribution."

FlatBlackCaddy

your joking raza, but nice try.

Seriously they would be better off putting SH-AWD in a accord or civic.

Fire It Up

ATTESSA doesn't route cross-axle, I don't believe.
As in left to right and vice versa? It does that too.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

Actively or passively, like Quattro?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Uh?

Raza

Uh?
Is it a mechanical reaction or a computer one?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Fire It Up

Uh?
Is it a mechanical reaction or a computer one?
"Among the rear-wheels, an active LSD can further distribute the torque from one wheel to the other if necessary."
Keep in mind that left/right power split is on ATTESA ETS PRO, not ATTESA.

giant_mtb

Please, stick with RWD...it's a damn supercar.

Fire It Up

giant_mtb

QuoteUmm...arent Lambos supercars?
Who knows.  They're ugly.

FlatBlackCaddy

I think RWD is 100% the way to go with the next NSX.

The current NSX's handling has never been a question, its a fantastic piece capable of handling that you could only find from such makers as Ferrari.

All honda needs to do is re-introduce a NSX that was as good as the old when it comes to handling(shouldn't be a problem, its currently a 10+ year old design). Then just back it with a motor that would make any HP junkie and spec sheet racer drool. A 4.5 - 4.8L V-10 pushing 420-450 would gain the respect in HP that the old car never had, while keeping with honda's traditional High revving natural aspirated motors. If they stick with the original formula and layout(sans V-6) they will do great. Much like nissan with the GT-R honda knows whats at stake with this NSX and they have the money and the means to do it right. I just hope they stick away from the techno gadgetry and keep it simple, fantastic handling, relatively light and throwing in the power to complete the package.

Raza

QuotePlease, stick with RWD...it's a damn supercar.
It's not a supercar, it's a sports car.

Lamborghinis tend be between GTs and supercars.  I tend to put them more to the GT territory than supercar territory.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuotePlease, stick with RWD...it's a damn supercar.
It's not a supercar, it's a sports car.

Lamborghinis tend be between GTs and supercars.  I tend to put them more to the GT territory than supercar territory.
Please, stick with RWD...it's a damn GT.  :praise:  

Raza

QuoteI think RWD is 100% the way to go with the next NSX.

The current NSX's handling has never been a question, its a fantastic piece capable of handling that you could only find from such makers as Ferrari.

All honda needs to do is re-introduce a NSX that was as good as the old when it comes to handling(shouldn't be a problem, its currently a 10+ year old design). Then just back it with a motor that would make any HP junkie and spec sheet racer drool. A 4.5 - 4.8L V-10 pushing 420-450 would gain the respect in HP that the old car never had, while keeping with honda's traditional High revving natural aspirated motors. If they stick with the original formula and layout(sans V-6) they will do great. Much like nissan with the GT-R honda knows whats at stake with this NSX and they have the money and the means to do it right. I just hope they stick away from the techno gadgetry and keep it simple, fantastic handling, relatively light and throwing in the power to complete the package.
Right, I agree with you completely.  But here's the thing:  Honda has this complex.  They don't like selling cars that aren't overburdened with vanilla and they want a car to showcase their latest technological "innovation" (AWD).  If they were to update some internals, do a small styling change, and update the power for the 21st century, and leave its midship setup, and leave it RWD, it should be a winner.  Honda, if you want a car to showcase your shit, build something else.  An upscale RL 2+2 coupe, not a new NSX.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i