Autoweek Review: 2006 Cadillac DTS

Started by Colonel Cadillac, August 16, 2005, 03:00:23 PM

Colonel Cadillac

TBR

Sounds pretty positive, so far there seems to be no reason to get a LS430 over the cheaper DTS.

Raza

Ouch--that 0-60 doesn't look impressive at all.

And neither does that interior.  If they wanted to get some new blood with this car, they aren't going to.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

Snap, 27 mpg on the highway. That's a cruisemobile.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

QuoteSnap, 27 mpg on the highway. That's a cruisemobile.
Jeez--27 mpg?  An Impala can get that, easy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

I think the interior looks like it is of good quality and fit-n-finish. Kind of like a Camry. Then again, the design also looks like its in the same class as a Camry. It doesn't look like a luxury car inside. Of course, neither did the old one, but at least this one has a decent interior. I still the back is ugly though.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

QuoteI think the interior looks like it is of good quality and fit-n-finish. Kind of like a Camry. Then again, the design also looks like its in the same class as a Camry. It doesn't look like a luxury car inside. Of course, neither did the old one, but at least this one has a decent interior. I still the back is ugly though.
If this were the Impala, that would be okay...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

I don't find anything wrong with the interior. It does have a hint of Camry in design, but a hint at best. It looks put together (and as said) very well. I don't see where it misses the mark.

Raza

The wood looks egregiously fake, the design looks terrible, the whole thing looks so drab.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

An Impala doesn't have a 290hp DOHC V8.  

Raza

You know what else doesn't?  Every car this competes with.  They all have more.  (Except for the Town Car, I believe.  But I keep forgetting that even exists)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

You know what else doesn't?  Every car this competes with.  They all have more.  (Except for the Town Car, I believe.  But I keep forgetting that even exists)
Its better than the Lexus LS430's 278 HP.

Raza

Whoa.  I thought they boosted that to 300, like the GS.  Well, at least the LS is faster and more attractive on the inside.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Whoa.  I thought they boosted that to 300, like the GS.  Well, at least the LS is faster and more attractive on the inside.
This car doesn't compete with the S-class/7-series bunch, the only cars it really competes with are the LS430 and Town Car, both of which have less power. And, the Deville is much better looking imho.

Raza

This car doesn't compete with the S-class/7-series bunch, the only cars it really competes with are the LS430 and Town Car, both of which have less power. And, the Deville is much better looking imho.
In my head, I was also comparing it to cars like the E500, GS430, and A6 4.2  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It is larger than those are and isn't nearly as sporty.

Raza

QuoteIt is larger than those are and isn't nearly as sporty.
It is larger, but pricewise it's still going to have a little cross, if not much.  We test drove the LS430 and Deville DTS in the same breath, let alone the same day.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yeah, the Deville goes after the same demographic as the LS does, but not the same one as the GS does.

Raza

QuoteYeah, the Deville goes after the same demographic as the LS does, but not the same one as the GS does.
True.  That I agree with.  But, pricewise, the Deville may enter the mind of a buyer or two.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cozmik

QuoteI think the interior looks like it is of good quality and fit-n-finish. Kind of like a Camry. Then again, the design also looks like its in the same class as a Camry. It doesn't look like a luxury car inside. Of course, neither did the old one, but at least this one has a decent interior. I still the back is ugly though.
If this were the Impala, that would be okay...
This, the new Impala, and the Lucern all share the same basic interior. They were desidned by Leer (sp).  :P  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cozmik

On straight line speed though, the LS430 is a good deal quicker...

Raza

0-60 is a good second and a half quicker, at least.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Maybe a few, but ultimately very few people looking at the A6, 5-series, and M will end up with a Deville. Those people will look at the CTS and STS, not the DTS.

Raza

QuoteMaybe a few, but ultimately very few people looking at the A6, 5-series, and M will end up with a Deville. Those people will look at the CTS and STS, not the DTS.
I don't disagree with you.  I just enjoy being contrarian.

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

I don't believe that for a second. You have to take the slowest DTS time and fastest LS time to get a spread like that.

I don't disagree the LS is faster, but not by that much.

ifcar

QuoteYeah, the Deville goes after the same demographic as the LS does, but not the same one as the GS does.
I don't think they come close to going after the same people. Most consumers I know not only cross-shop only cars in the same general price range, but wouldn't consider a Cadillac. One could suggest that Cadillac caters to the Cadillac-loyal, and the LS430 caters to the Lexus-loyal.

Another thing to consider is size: little else in the Deville price range is a large sedan, while every ultra-lux is. Deville buyers probably aren't cross-shopping LS430-price cars, and anyone considering an LS430 probably wants ultra-lux prestige and red-carpet service.

And considering the typical large-car buyer's low emphasis on sport, the LS430 is direcly against other ultra-luxes.  

Raza

I don't believe that for a second. You have to take the slowest DTS time and fastest LS time to get a spread like that.

I don't disagree the LS is faster, but not by that much.
The thing says 8 seconds for the DTS, the slowest 0-60 of an LS430 I've ever seen was 6.7 seconds.  Damn near a second and a half, don't you think?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

8 seconds for the normal engine, they said 7.1 for the 290hp version (IIRC).

Submariner

QuoteSounds pretty positive, so far there seems to be no reason to get a LS430 over the cheaper DTS.
The Lexus looks FAR better.  Classier, more elegant, even sportier.  The DTS still looks like a boat.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

QuoteSounds pretty positive, so far there seems to be no reason to get a LS430 over the cheaper DTS.
The Lexus looks FAR better.  Classier, more elegant, even sportier.  The DTS still looks like a boat.
Imho they both look like boats, but the LS430 is worse.