"German Provision" in US fuel economy standards

Started by Galaxy, August 18, 2009, 05:13:59 AM

Galaxy

The Wall Street Journal Europe ran an article about US fuel economy standards. The wrote that foreign car makers that sell no more then 400,000 cars a year in the US, will be be excempt from the new US fuel economy standards for at least four years. Of course companies like Subaru, and Mitsubishi will also profit from this but it is clear as glass that this excemption is aimed at Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

In future the Secret Service needs to keep a better watch out for what gets put into Obama's drink at German state dinners.  ;)

On a serious note, I do wonder what the Obama Administration will get in return. More troops in Afghanistan? The use of the German diplomatic corps's  excellent connections in Iran?  :huh:

ifcar

400k is a lot. I'd understand if they'd said something like "under 50k" to protect the truly small players, but I'd want to see independent confirmation of this before believing it.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on August 18, 2009, 06:47:25 AM
400k is a lot. I'd understand if they'd said something like "under 50k" to protect the truly small players, but I'd want to see independent confirmation of this before believing it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124873997073285323.html

ifcar

Again, I'll believe it when I see it more than in one source saying this has been proposed.

cawimmer430

Man, I would rather see this new rule be biased towards reliable Japanese cars like Lexus!!!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie