2005 BMW 330i, 05 Cadillac CTS, and Infiniti G35

Started by BMWDave, August 16, 2005, 06:56:00 PM

BMWDave

Link to Article

This is a summary:

The CTS doesnt look flashy compared to the other two; it has the most relaxed drive; interior doesnt look so nice and its appearance is that of plastic.  The clutch is a little mushy, and the shifter has light but somewhat vague action and long throws.  Also got the slowest 0-60 time.

The G35 is the performance bargain.  However, materials inside were deemed cheap.

The 3er is simply the best performer overall, and the extra money is worth it.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

No surprises there, though the 330i still isn't worth 10k more than the G35 imho.

Raza

QuoteNo surprises there, though the 330i still isn't worth 10k more than the G35 imho.
Good thing it doesn't cost 10K more.  Comparably equipped they're only 4 grand or so apart.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Personally i'd probobly get a G35 Coupe, out of the cars listed.

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

QuoteNo surprises there, though the 330i still isn't worth 10k more than the G35 imho.
Good thing it doesn't cost 10K more.  Comparably equipped they're only 4 grand or so apart.
Actually, the difference isn't 10k (that was an exaggeration), but it isn't 4k either. Try $7000 more for as comparably equipped cars as you can get (the Infiniti still has more stuff).

Raza

Actually, the difference isn't 10k (that was an exaggeration), but it isn't 4k either. Try $7000 more for as comparably equipped cars as you can get (the Infiniti still has more stuff).
Well, from my experience, a G35 coupe equipped the way I want it runs about 37K, and the 330i the way I want it runs about 41K.  That's where I grabbed my number.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

The G35c is more expensive than the sedan is, just like the 330ci was more expensive than the E46 sedan is.

Raza

QuoteThe G35c is more expensive than the sedan is, just like the 330ci was more expensive than the E46 sedan is.
True, but only by a little.  Less than a thousand, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

There is a $2000 difference and the price difference between the G35 sedan and 330i is actually larger than I said, I selected a G35 automatic instead of the 6mt so the real difference is $8000.

Raza

QuoteThere is a $2000 difference and the price difference between the G35 sedan and 330i is actually larger than I said, I selected a G35 automatic instead of the 6mt so the real difference is $8000.
Yowza.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteThere is a $2000 difference and the price difference between the G35 sedan and 330i is actually larger than I said, I selected a G35 automatic instead of the 6mt so the real difference is $8000.
Yowza.
Exactly my point, $8000 is a lot  for some extra feel.

SJ_GTI

Yowza.
Exactly my point, $8000 is a lot  for some extra feel.
Its not that simple.

First i have to ask myself: Would I rather own a 325i or a G35 sedan?

Based on prior experience, I would take the 325i.

Other than going fast in a straight line it does practically everything better than the G35. Better shifter, better steering, better braking, better handling (special note: handling does not equate to maximum lateral equip).

Then I would have to decide if the extra 5-6k for a 330i is worth it over a 325i. That would be a tougher choice for me.

TBR

I understand that it isn't simple, I would have to take extensive test drives myself to decide if the 330i really is worth $8000 more than the G35 is,  but it is a lot of money.

ifcar

The 325i is finally capably quick, to the point where I'd see no reason to pay the extra $6,000 for the 330i for some more of an already-present quality.  

Raza

QuoteThe 325i is finally capably quick, to the point where I'd see no reason to pay the extra $6,000 for the 330i for some more of an already-present quality.
If quick is enough, quicker's even better.  But then again, your dream car would be some sort of mesh, a sick love child between the Avalon and Sienna.  

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteThe 325i is finally capably quick, to the point where I'd see no reason to pay the extra $6,000 for the 330i for some more of an already-present quality.
If quick is enough, quicker's even better.  But then again, your dream car would be some sort of mesh, a sick love child between the Avalon and Sienna.  

Quicker is definitely better, but I couldn't see it being $6,000 worth of better.

I don't even know what to make of the last statement.  <_<  

SJ_GTI

I would tend to agree with Ifcar. Seriously I am quite happy with my 8 second to 60 A4. the 325i with 6MT supposedly runs a 6.7 to 60, which is pretty darn fast in comparison.

TBR

Well, imho I would only look at the 330i simply because I don't particularly like the styling of the E90 so why sacrifice speed as well? On the otherhand, I am perfectly willing to forgive the A4 2.0t for its 6.5-6.6 time simply because I love everything else about it.

Raza

Quicker is definitely better, but I couldn't see it being $6,000 worth of better.

I don't even know what to make of the last statement.  <_<
I used a smiley to insure that you took it lightly.

Well, we all have our priorities.  If I can get faster, I'll get faster.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteI would tend to agree with Ifcar. Seriously I am quite happy with my 8 second to 60 A4. the 325i with 6MT supposedly runs a 6.7 to 60, which is pretty darn fast in comparison.
My Passat's only a few ticks or so behind your car, and compared to the E320 (7 seconds or so) it's an eternity.  It feels ridiculously slow.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteWell, imho I would only look at the 330i simply because I don't particularly like the styling of the E90 so why sacrifice speed as well? On the otherhand, I am perfectly willing to forgive the A4 2.0t for its 6.5-6.6 time simply because I love everything else about it.
6.5-6.6 seconds? The 2.0T is not that fast. Heck, the A4 3.2 is probably not even that fast...

In edmunds comparison to the 330i the A4 2.0TQ with 6MT ran 7.7 seconds 0-60, which is pretty reasonable given its power, AWD, and weight. I could see it maybe getting into the low sevens on a very good day but 6.5 would be nearly impossible for that car.

ifcar

QuoteWell, imho I would only look at the 330i simply because I don't particularly like the styling of the E90 so why sacrifice speed as well? On the otherhand, I am perfectly willing to forgive the A4 2.0t for its 6.5-6.6 time simply because I love everything else about it.
6.5-6.6 seconds? The 2.0T is not that fast. Heck, the A4 3.2 is probably not even that fast...

In edmunds comparison to the 330i the A4 2.0TQ with 6MT ran 7.7 seconds 0-60, which is pretty reasonable given its power, AWD, and weight. I could see it maybe getting into the low sevens on a very good day but 6.5 would be nearly impossible for that car.
Edmunds always gets slow times. I believe the Audi-released 0-60 for a manual 2.0T is close to TBR's number.  

SJ_GTI

Edmunds always gets slow times. I believe the Audi-released 0-60 for a manual 2.0T is close to TBR's number.
I checked C&D and they got 7.2 seconds.

ifcar

I couldn't find the manufacturer figure again, but I was pretty sure it was around 6.7. Consumer Guide got 6.8, BTW.

TBR

R&T got 6.4 seconds and I tend to trust that number more so than I do C/D's because their review came out a month later and historically their numbers have always been lower.  

SJ_GTI

Well if I am wrong, congrats to Audi. But not sure then why you would have to "forgive" a 6.5 second 0-60. That is really fast.

TBR

By itself a 6.5 second number is impressive, but it isn't when you compare it to the acceleration numbers of its competitors.

SJ_GTI

QuoteBy itself a 6.5 second number is impressive, but it isn't when you compare it to the acceleration numbers of its competitors.
Whatever you say. I wish you good luck when buying your car because you obviuously have very high standards, since about 90% of the cars on the road will never go 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

TBR

My standards are perfectly reasonable for a sports sedan