Explorer! Or, An SUV that I can sleep in.

Started by Rupert, August 25, 2009, 08:58:59 PM

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on October 18, 2009, 04:59:38 PM
You're better off with the new style switch anyway.  In case anyone missed a post I made about a year ago, the Windstar has the same deact switch and I questioned then why Ford wasn't recalling them.  Seems they are.  The switch should look different.  It is the same design that came on trucks built after 2003.

Yeah, I figured that it's a good idea to get the new switch, anyway. It's cheap enough... Thanks for the expert advice and such!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Ranger is sold! Giggety-gone! $2300 in my pocket!

After a month and a half of craigslist idiots, finally, the one non-idiot to contact me bought it. Young guy like me, just bought a house.

:lol:

I'll miss it, though. Good damn truck. I owned for two and a half years, which is longer than I've owned anything else. :cry:'

:cheers:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on October 19, 2009, 09:23:43 PM
Ranger is sold! Giggety-gone! $2300 in my pocket!

After a month and a half of craigslist idiots, finally, the one non-idiot to contact me bought it. Young guy like me, just bought a house.

:lol:

I'll miss it, though. Good damn truck. I owned for two and a half years, which is longer than I've owned anything else. :cry:'

:cheers:

Congratulations, Koko 2!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Grats!  That's a nice chunk-o-change for that truck.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Assuming a price of $70 each, that is 32.8 Flowmasters, though I'm sure there would be a volume discount on an order like that.

Rupert

Rupert

I cleaned off the IAC valve sensor, and now it starts normally when cold. Idles better, too. :cheers:

Eye of the Tiger

What does that have to do with Flowmasters?

Rupert

Rupert

Power steering fluid is new, so is the clutch fluid. Rear wiper arm is replaced (it was bent). I have a second key now, so the next time a mechanic steals my truck, I can steal it back. But the best part is that the cruise control now works! Controlled cruising, here I come! The problem was an unseated clutch switch. So simple...

The only important things now are the rest of the drivetrain fluids (not the oil...), and that promised Flowmaster! Fluids before I leave for western Oregon on Saturday, and maaaybe Flowmaster, too, but I do have to work and such, so I dunno.

I totalled up what I've spent on this thing by now. It's more than it's worth, that's almost for sure. :(

Oh well! :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

It's always "more than it's worth"

But it's worth it, and so is Flowmasta!

Rupert

Rupert

And now the trans/trans/diff/diff fluids are fresh. All maintenance and important repairs complete! :cheers:

Only thing that might not fall into that category is the weird cold start thing, but it's pretty back burner for now.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

I don't think I want Flowmasters anymore.

In real news, did you know that those headlight polishing kits actually work? Much better. I also ordered some better bulbs (Philips Xtreme Power-- supposed to be the best).

I ordered a new IAC valve after I tested the resistance on mine and found it about +10 ohms out of spec. I'm pretty sure this will solve the slow cold start thing. :ohyeah:

Here's a before on one headlight lens:

Here's the after on the other:

Rupert

Ford's engineers apparently didn't understand the concept of a lever.

(Not mine; no one's that tan in winter in Idaho. Mine broke in the same place).

:rage:

I ordered a new hinge assembly thing. Yay.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on December 06, 2009, 01:49:33 AM
In real news, did you know that those headlight polishing kits actually work?

You didn't?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

They're all so gimmicky, I just assumed it was a scam, until I read about in Hemmings S & E Car.

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on February 02, 2010, 09:57:34 PM
They're all so gimmicky, I just assumed it was a scam, until I read about in Hemmings S & E Car.

Which one did you use?  Some work better than others.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

I got a 3M one, but I haven't used it yet (too lazy, don't have corded drill)

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 02, 2010, 10:02:48 PM
I got a 3M one, but I haven't used it yet (too lazy, don't have corded drill)

Can I have it?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 02, 2010, 10:10:10 PM
Yeha, it was $20, so that'll be $150 Canadian.  :devil:

I have more american currency than canadian anyway  :lol:

giant_mtb

$20?  Some wet-sanding paper for $4 probably would have done a comparable (or better) job.

:huh: