Just bought a new (used) car!

Started by the Teuton, August 26, 2009, 09:27:59 PM

Vinsanity

I could've sworn I thought the Subie was a stickshift

Eye of the Tiger

Start heel-n-toe practice early. Get ahead of the game. That's the only way I drive the Swift.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 29, 2009, 09:38:26 PM
I could've sworn I thought the Subie was a stickshift

Unfortunately not.  The next Subie probably will be, though, but I don't expect that one before 2012 or so.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on August 29, 2009, 05:01:34 PM
Today's the first whole day I've ever spent driving stick, and I have to say this:  There are some inherent flaws about this car (stereo sucks, headlights don't go off automatically, etc.) but I absolutely love my plastic car.  It's fun to drive.

Headlights don't go off automatically?  You mean an economy car from 1995 doesn't have automatic headlights!?  I'm shocked and appalled!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on August 26, 2009, 09:36:32 PM
It was dark.  Here's what I got from Autotrader.

Good luck, man.... :ohyeah:

Now, start beating that thing up.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on August 30, 2009, 10:21:32 AM
Headlights don't go off automatically?  You mean an economy car from 1995 doesn't have automatic headlights!?  I'm shocked and appalled!

Now you realize why my Impreza was the bomb.

Quote from: dazzleman on August 30, 2009, 11:15:23 AM
Good luck, man.... :ohyeah:

Now, start beating that thing up.

I've driven it 70ish miles in the past two days.  I absofuckinglutely love driving it, and stick is really easy now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on August 30, 2009, 10:21:32 AM
:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on August 30, 2009, 11:23:51 AM

I've driven it 70ish miles in the past two days.  I absofuckinglutely love driving it, and stick is really easy now.

Have you stomped down on the accelerator yet, whipped around turns, or taken it off-road yet?  What's the top speed you've done in it so far?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

r0tor

i had a coworker that loved those thing... he's buy them with like 100k miles, drive it to the junkyard at 200k miles (he had like a 150 mile daily commute) and rinse and repeat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on August 30, 2009, 01:15:37 PM
Have you stomped down on the accelerator yet, whipped around turns, or taken it off-road yet?  What's the top speed you've done in it so far?

Uh, no.  I'm going to try to keep this one until 2012 or so after I am out of college and somewhat established.  As for the top speed I've taken it so far: 75.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on August 30, 2009, 04:47:52 PM
Uh, no.  I'm going to try to keep this one until 2012 or so after I am out of college and somewhat established.  As for the top speed I've taken it so far: 75.

75?!?!?!  That's it?  Oh man, you need to put those lead shoes on and get out there...75 is nothing, man.... :evildude: :lol:

I'm just kidding about kicking the crap out of the car.  It's fun to do, but I know you need to nurse it along.  That's what rental cars are for....(oops, I forgot you work for a car rental company... :lol:)

I remember when I was 25 I went on vacation and rented a Chevy Cavalier.  Man, I kicked the crap out of that car.  It was great... :devil:

the Teuton

This car is in surprisingly good condition.  I can truthfully say I'm proud to own it.  It has nothing in it, but then again, it'll serve me well until something better comes along.

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on August 30, 2009, 05:07:25 PM
This car is in surprisingly good condition.  I can truthfully say I'm proud to own it.  It has nothing in it, but then again, it'll serve me well until something better comes along.

You don't need a lot of accessories.  You need reliable and cheap transportation.  If it provides that, it's a great find.  Good luck with it, man.

The Pirate

Quote from: dazzleman on August 30, 2009, 01:15:37 PM

:lol:

Saturns do very well off-road, in case you were wondering.  :devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

I'm not going to find out for myself.

BTW, all indications I'm getting are listing the 0-60 time for this car at between 8.6-9.1 seconds.  Compared to my Subaru (12.4 for the sedan of same spec, according to Motor Trend), that's positively blazing.

AutobahnSHO

Speaking of headlights-

The Subaru headlights are just OFF if the car is off. You have to use a separate switch to turn on the parking lights. And apparently people bump that switch and run the battery out every once in a while..

My SHO, Dodge and Toyota vans have had the packages with auto headlight off. All the others just "bing" at you and stay on.
Will

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on August 30, 2009, 11:23:51 AM

Who gives a fuck about automatic headlights?  I actually prefer manually turning the lights on and off to automatic light systems like the ones on my mom's Mercedes and my dad's Lexus. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 30, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
Speaking of headlights-

The Subaru headlights are just OFF if the car is off. You have to use a separate switch to turn on the parking lights. And apparently people bump that switch and run the battery out every once in a while..

My SHO, Dodge and Toyota vans have had the packages with auto headlight off. All the others just "bing" at you and stay on.

My dad called me when he accidentally turned the parking lights on because he had no idea what he did to turn them on in the Legacy.  Subaru started getting rid of those with the 2008 Impreza.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

So... did you put that cold air intake on yet?

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 06:54:22 PM
So... did you put that cold air intake on yet?

And do a big smokey burnout, too?

May I ask what the point would be to get that thing from 124 hp to 130?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 06:57:19 PM
And do a big smokey burnout, too?

May I ask what the point would be to get that thing from 124 hp to 130?

If I have to tell you.... nevermind  :facepalm:

Eye of the Tiger

Maybe you should just throw on a restrictor plate and bring it down to a Swift-like 75 hp. Too much air really is bad for engine.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 07:04:03 PM
Maybe you should just throw on a restrictor plate and bring it down to a Swift-like 75 hp. Too much air really is bad for engine.

If I wanted that, I would have picked up an SL1.

It's hard to believe that this car really isn't much slower than the vaunted 2.5 RS I want.  Now THAT car needs a turbo.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 07:05:27 PM

It's hard to believe that this car really isn't much slower than the vaunted 2.5 RS I want.  Now THAT car needs a turbo.

Open Diff, FTW!  :rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 07:05:27 PM

It's hard to believe that this car really isn't much slower than the vaunted 2.5 RS I want.  Now THAT car needs a turbo.

It should actually be right on par with your silly 2.5 RS. I posted a 1996 SC2 test in the Swift thread that did 0-60 in 8.3.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 07:08:19 PM
It should actually be right on par with your silly 2.5 RS. I posted a 1996 SC2 test in the Swift thread that did 0-60 in 8.3.

Oh shizz...wow.

And my car is lighter than the newer bodystyle SC2, I believe.

On paper, my car would still be beaten by an RS.  The DOHC RS was a little slower.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 07:10:56 PM
Oh shizz...wow.

And my car is lighter than the newer bodystyle SC2, I believe.

On paper, my car would still be beaten by an RS.  The DOHC RS was a little slower.

Of course, you wouldn't know, because I'm sure you haven't revved it over 2,500 RPM yet, and most likely never plan to.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 07:12:02 PM
Of course, you wouldn't know, because I'm sure you haven't revved it over 2,500 RPM yet, and most likely never plan to.

I've had it up to 3,200 RPM, thanks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 07:17:50 PM
I've had it up to 3,200 RPM, thanks.

Let's try for 6,000. It won't blow up, I promise.