The Hyundai Genesis Coupe thread

Started by ifcar, August 27, 2009, 05:13:10 PM

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 02, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
I found the paddle shifters in the Genesis to be very slow to react at times, especially on the downshift.

Now that you mention, I do recall some downshift frustration.  Some of that may be due to transmission protection; downshifts are never an area where tiptronics excel because they tend to be overly protective when it comes to manual downshifts. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Loro

Quote from: ifcar on September 01, 2009, 08:38:28 PM

No Mustang?

He's just not a fan of it. I keep telling him he'd have a HUGE amount of options if he bought used, but he's set on a new car. Too many bad experiences with used.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on September 01, 2009, 08:38:28 PM
No Mustang?

besides, until it gets the 3.5L DOHC engine, the V6 in the Mustang sucks. The Genesis and Camaro are where it's at as far as V6 sport coupes go.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 03, 2009, 10:36:47 AM
besides, until it gets the 3.5L DOHC engine, the V6 in the Mustang sucks. The Genesis and Camaro are where it's at as far as V6 sport coupes go.
2011 gets the 3.7L V6 with as much as 315 hp.  I think it will be closer to 300 myself, but there have been "leaks" stating 315 hp.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 03, 2009, 02:06:48 PM
2011 gets the 3.7L V6 with as much as 315 hp.  I think it will be closer to 300 myself, but there have been "leaks" stating 315 hp.

This is getting out of hand.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 03, 2009, 02:06:48 PM

That'll fix the power (and likely the fuel economy too, that 4.0L is both relatively gutless and a gas hog when compared to Hyundai's 3.8 and GM's 3.6).  Now they just need to give it the same suspension tuning as the base V8.  Dual exhausts would be nice too, just so it doesn't scream "I bought the cheap version" from two miles away.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on September 03, 2009, 04:28:51 PM
That'll fix the power (and likely the fuel economy too, that 4.0L is both relatively gutless and a gas hog when compared to Hyundai's 3.8 and GM's 3.6).  Now they just need to give it the same suspension tuning as the base V8.  Dual exhausts would be nice too, just so it doesn't scream "I bought the cheap version" from two miles away.

Hmm, I'd say that's its better to maintain a distinction visually between the base and GT cars.  Just my opinion.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on September 03, 2009, 04:38:38 PM
Hmm, I'd say that's its better to maintain a distinction visually between the base and GT cars.  Just my opinion.
I agree. You should get some visual upgrades on top of the performance upgrades for the extra dough.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on September 03, 2009, 04:38:38 PM

They could leave the driving lights off and make those GT exclusive.  The single granny exhaust the V6 Mustang just really adds to the lame factor.  With Camaro and Genesis, the visual differences are minimal between base motors and uplevel motor.  With the Genesis, the only visual distinction is the badge on the trunk.  With Camaro, the only real difference is the little scoop on the top of the nose on the SS and the badging.  To me, that's a big selling point.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 03, 2009, 05:07:01 PM
They could leave the driving lights off and make those GT exclusive.  The single granny exhaust the V6 Mustang just really adds to the lame factor.  With Camaro and Genesis, the visual differences are minimal between base motors and uplevel motor.  With the Genesis, the only visual distinction is the badge on the trunk.  With Camaro, the only real difference is the little scoop on the top of the nose on the SS and the badging.  To me, that's a big selling point.

My granny has dual exhaust. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

That super V6 is gonna push the Stang into a crazy price territory

How big are they gonna make the V8?

Honestly though if they do that and keep the pricing reasonable.... :cry: I could see myself in a Rustang

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2009, 08:10:02 AM

Honestly though if they do that and keep the pricing reasonable.... :cry: I could see myself in a Rustang
The new 5.0L has been all but officially confirmed at 400 hp.

Vinsanity

I would guess it'll stay within a couple grand of the Camaro

SVT666

Why would the price go up much?  You can get that engine in a Fusion for $25K.

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 04, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
Why would the price go up much? 

bacause OMFG it has crazy numbers of valves and cams and movey type things!!!!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 04, 2009, 10:50:48 AM
Why would the price go up much?  You can get that engine in a Fusion for $25K.

Either the price will go up or their profit margins on the V6 model will go down.  I would honestly be shocked if the Duratec was even close to the same cost to make as the ancient Cologne 4.0L SOHC.
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

Final full review of the Genesis Coupe:

QuoteHad it come out one year earlier, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe would have been the hottest car on the market, joining only the then-aging Ford Mustang and the overweight reborn Dodge Challenger as stylish coupes with lots of power and rear-wheel-drive under $30,000.

But that timing was not to be. Instead, the 2010 Genesis Coupe ? which ended its week with the DC Car Examiner last Thursday ? came out at the same time as a redesigned and greatly improved Mustang and an overachieving new Chevrolet Camaro. The comparisons were inevitable...

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m9d6-Review-2010-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-38-Track

CaMIRO

I find it stunning that the Genesis has a less settled ride than the Mustang, and that it is less involving. I guess Ford made that live axle work. As someone who vividly recalls scaring myself (and at least one squirrel) silly in a '97 Cobra convertible on a series of two-lane roads, I'd never have thought it possible.

Rubbish steering, rubbish brakes, twitchy back end. Awesome car, though. The sound above about 3,500 rpm, all the way to 6,000, was like a bear belting out Carmen.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: CaMIRO on September 07, 2009, 01:39:49 AM
I find it stunning that the Genesis has a less settled ride than the Mustang, and that it is less involving. I guess Ford made that live axle work. As someone who vividly recalls scaring myself (and at least one squirrel) silly in a '97 Cobra convertible on a series of two-lane roads, I'd never have thought it possible.

Rubbish steering, rubbish brakes, twitchy back end. Awesome car, though. The sound above about 3,500 rpm, all the way to 6,000, was like a bear belting out Carmen.

Holy crap I haven't seen you since the C&D forums.  It's nice to know you're still around!  :thumbsup: :rockon:

nickdrinkwater

Fantastic looking car.  Some work on that interior, and they should sell it here.  I could see it taking some TT sales.

Raza

The new Mustang is too comfortable and too refined.  It's not as fun or involving a car as the S197. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19732.msg1155383#msg1155383 date=1252417482
The new Mustang is too comfortable and too refined.  It's not as fun or involving a car as the S197. 
I finally got to drive one on Saturday and I...agree with you.  If this were any other car I would say it's a big improvement over the last car.  But since it's a Mustang and they're supposed to be somewhat crude, it's almost a step back.  Don't get me wrong, I think it handles much better and is a much better car overall then the last car, but it's too quiet (it seemed strange that the exhaust is the only thing you can hear), too refined, and too well-mannered.  I never thought I would say a Mustang was too well mannered.

omicron

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on September 08, 2009, 09:02:55 AM
A Mustang without theatre?
Oh there's theatre, but not as much as there used to be.  It's almost like they got the balance between crudeness and refinement perfect with the 05-09 model.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 08, 2009, 09:01:32 AM
I finally got to drive one on Saturday and I...agree with you.  If this were any other car I would say it's a big improvement over the last car.  But since it's a Mustang and they're supposed to be somewhat crude, it's almost a step back.  Don't get me wrong, I think it handles much better and is a much better car overall then the last car, but it's too quiet (it seemed strange that the exhaust is the only thing you can hear), too refined, and too well-mannered.  I never thought I would say a Mustang was too well mannered.

I didn't get a chance to push it hard enough to glean handling differences, but I'll believe you on that.  But yeah, it felt like I could have been driving almost any other car but a Mustang.  The S197 is the top of the breed, I do believe. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT32V

Rubbish steering, rubbish brakes, twitchy back end. Awesome car, though. The sound above about 3,500 rpm, all the way to 6,000 7000 rpm, was like a bear belting out Carmen.

The brakes on the '97 cobra were far from rubbish, they were PBR daul pistons and 13 inch PBR rotors.
They were high effort and did not fade, for '97 they were very good and are still reasonable for a 300 hp car.

sportyaccordy

Yea Cobra brakes of that vintage are popular upgrades for Nissans

I def prefer the look of the '10 Mustang to all others

CaMIRO

Quote from: SVT32V on September 08, 2009, 09:51:03 AM
The brakes on the '97 cobra were far from rubbish, they were PBR daul pistons and 13 inch PBR rotors.
They were high effort and did not fade, for '97 they were very good and are still reasonable for a 300 hp car.

I'm sure the specs were good; I didn't experience fade, and they stopped the car - but there was no pedal feel whatsoever. Braking in the Cobra was as though stomping on a button; sort of like the brakes in most VW Group products, if somewhat more consistent.

Loved the car, despite the flaws. Too many things needed sorting. They ticked off all the right boxes, but the end product could have used more development. Mind you, this was a convertible, so some of the twitching could be put down to (an additional) lack of rigidity.

And you're probably right about the 7,000 rpm part, although I had the car on loan from a colleague and I doubt I pushed the engine into its last 800 revs or so.