Mini 2009 Fit review

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 27, 2009, 07:06:40 PM

VTEC_Inside

Had a chance to take a 2009 Fit Sport 5spd for a drive today.

I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb or anything but thought I'd share my driving impressions.

It has one of the nicest 5spds I've ever driven, very light and precise shifter and clutch. My RSX clutch felt noticeably heavier afterwards. The engine is a little coarse sounding, particularly back to back with the K in my RSX, but its got a healthy sound freely revving right up to 6000rpms. In that sense I prefer the L engine over the R from the Civic. The R18 in the Civic just doesn't rev like a Honda IMO.

I found the A-pillar to be somewhat annoying for visibility going around corners, I just about drove into an island I didn't see at one point. Whether or not this is something you'd get used to I dunno.

Around town its quite a bit of fun, always peppy and quick handling. I enjoyed it so much that it made the shame of my next point that much more sad.

I took it onto the highway and realized quickly that it would be a difficult car to live with for my daily commute. Accelerating from 110 in 5th gear was a big drag, despite revving 3000rpms even at 100kph. 4th gear acceleration was better, but I found that you'd really need to go all the way down to 3rd for some appreciable oomph...

That said, noise is controlled quite well. I cruised as high as 4000rpm in 5th (130kph ish) at one point and it was acceptable.

Getting off the highway I started having a blast again, ripping through the first three gears into a corner while not even exceeding the speed limit.

In the end the hwy performance is what killed it for me. As much as I wouldn't mind owning one for how much fun it is around town, I do A LOT of hwy driving at 120-130kph, and I just didn't feel its up to that type of duty. The Civic may not be a race car either but its far more content to hold and accelerate from those types of speeds.

A Fit with a K swap though?... C'mon Fit Si already!... :p

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

2o6

How is downshifting into 3rd unacceptable? IMO It'd be fun since you'd be thrashing the car all the time.

Good review. Nice to see someone who likes the Fit.

Northlands

As much as I like the Fit , I still have issues with the price overlap it can have with the Civic. I guess if I was looking for a stripper version it would be ok. Adding some options to them though.. heads into Civic territory in a hurry. Then it seems a little lost on me.  :huh:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 2o6 on August 27, 2009, 07:10:13 PM
How is downshifting into 3rd unacceptable? IMO It'd be fun since you'd be thrashing the car all the time.

Good review. Nice to see someone who likes the Fit.

Its not that the downshift is unacceptable, but it shouldn't be a requirement to keep up with traffic on the highway. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it is pretty weak up there.

Rich

It's people like you that are the reasons we keep getting most cars without tall top gears

FOR GODS SAKE IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER DOWNSHIFT.  THERES A REASON THERE'S A TRANSMISSION.  LOW GEARS FOR ACCELLERATION AND HIGH GEARS FOR FUEL MILEAGE.

J/K (kind of)  :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 27, 2009, 08:45:17 PM
It's people like you that are the reasons we keep getting most cars without tall top gears

FOR GODS SAKE IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER DOWNSHIFT.  THERES A REASON THERE'S A TRANSMISSION.  LOW GEARS FOR ACCELLERATION AND HIGH GEARS FOR FUEL MILEAGE.

Swift agrees
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 27, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

lol...

The reality is you are kinda right, although the Fits 5th gear is geared about right IMO.

I guess its just a fact of life with a small displacement engine that I'm ultimately not used too.

BimmerM3

I downshift to 4th and 3rd a lot when I'm driving on the highway.

Rich

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 27, 2009, 10:17:08 PM
I downshift to 4th and 3rd a lot when I'm driving on the highway.

You're my man!  :thumbsup:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

or in an rx8 its something like your doing something like 65mph at 3,250 rpms in 6th gear.  Ricer approaches from behind.  Clutch in, shifter to neutral, throttle blip to 6500 rpms, listen for backfire, select 3rd gear, reengage clutch, floor throttle.... see ricer get pw3nd
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed