Things that make you go whoa

Started by autom?vel, August 16, 2005, 09:50:04 PM

autom?vel

MG to return to US
Posted Aug 12, 2005, 4:30 PM ET by Randall Halcomb
Related entries: Convertibles, Sedans/Saloons, Trends

MG fans in the US may now rejoice. Austin-Healey enthusiasts mourn; however as Nanjing and GB Sports Cars agree to ditch plans to revive the vintage marque. The two parners will instead focus on the MG brand with a plan to build sports cars and large sedans. Central to this new plan is bringing MG back to the US. This is a wise move, and it is surprising that Nanjing has included this in their plans with GB Sports Cars. Nanjing is still working out some intellectual property issues with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (SAIC), which is claiming they own the rights to Rover?s engines and cars. The MG brand has huge potential here in the US. BMW managed to market Mini in the US, a brand with little history in the US. MG, however, has a loyal following here and certainly has much more ?romance? associated with it than Mini. The only catch is going to be product, if the MGs that show up on our shores are high-priced, low-quality junk. Perhaps we?re being too harsh, but there is a lot of competition in our convertible/roadster market and MG will have to face it head on. Although the MG TF is shapely, it?s not exactly the sort of US revival car we would hope for.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

BMWDave

This is great news...hopefully these will be interesting and entertaining cars.  We could always use more of those :D

My dad had an MBG...great car :wub:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Certainly is a looker.  Big improvement over the ZF, but as I recall, it's outshined by most of its competitors, including the Boxster, Z4, S2000, and SLK.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pancor

TBR

autom?vel

QuoteRaza
Certainly is a looker. Big improvement over the ZF, but as I recall, it's outshined by most of its competitors, including the Boxster, Z4, S2000, and SLK.

You're right, it doesn't necessarily stand up to the competition.  Perhaps with infusion of Chinese cash, the new models will stack up to the ambitious revival plan.  Eitherway, it's definitely cool to see one of the original roadster legends back in the U.S.  
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Laconian

I thought everybody here hated Chinese cars. :P How is the MG badge any more than just a badge? We're still talking about the same country that makes nothing but wonderful knockoffs of Mercs and RAV-4s.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

autom?vel

QuoteLaconian:
I thought everybody here hated Chinese cars.? How is the MG badge any more than just a badge? We're still talking about the same country that makes nothing but wonderful knockoffs of Mercs and RAV-4s.

Better dead than red, eh?   :lol:
The thing is that it's a joint effort between Nanjing and GB Sports Cars, so it isn't strictly a Chinese venture.  

"Nanjing, which agreed to pay just over ?50m for the assets of Rover and Powertrain, its engine arm, wants outside funding and a management team for the UK operations in order to restart production of MG cars."  
I could be wrong, but since they bought Powertrain (which makes MG's engines and transmissions), I imagine there will still be British engineering.

Eitherway, I believe they're going to model MG around the same idea as Alfa, Acura, Volvo, etc.  I'm not fond of the Chinese involvement either, but so far I like what they've been saying.  Plus that gives MG an edge to expand in the Chinese market.
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Laconian

Ah, GB Sports Cars is British then? It might not be bad then. Lotus is doing pretty well with the financial backing of Malaysian-owned Proton.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

Woo hoo! Time to blow the dust off those British car jokes. :D