The New 4Runner

Started by CJ, August 30, 2009, 01:15:48 PM

SVT666

The Wrangler is the only current vehicle that's even acceptable off-road.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 05:03:00 PM

you forgetting something?

:rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 05:09:50 PM
you forgetting something?

:rolleyes:

That's not a current vehicle. Doesn't count.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on August 31, 2009, 05:17:57 PM
That's not a current vehicle. Doesn't count.

Man, the Rendezvous is no joke. It will throw you on your back, jump on top of you, and make you call it's name... and that's even before you turn the key.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 05:03:00 PM

Swift.

/thread.

nickdrinkwater

What's the difference between 4Runner and Landcruiser?

They don't sell the 4Runner here but I see a lot of old shape models (1990s generation) and they seem to be the same size as the LC, presuming the 4Runner has grown at the same rate as the LC.

And you guys forgot to mention the URBAN Cruiser.   :rolleyes:

ifcar

That's the Land Cruiser "Prado" you posted, which is sold here as the Lexus GX470 -- an upscale version of the 4Runner.

The Land Cruiser is much bigger.

Lebowski

nickdrinkwater

Confusion w names I guess.  We don't have a 'Prado', just the Land Cruiser (one I posted) and the Land Cruiser V8 (one ifcar posted).

So what is the difference between our Land Cruiser (your Lexus GX?) and the 4Runner?  Surely not US$35k, because the Land Cruiser here costs about ?30k!!

S204STi

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 05, 2009, 07:43:42 AM
Confusion w names I guess.  We don't have a 'Prado', just the Land Cruiser (one I posted) and the Land Cruiser V8 (one ifcar posted).

So what is the difference between our Land Cruiser (your Lexus GX?) and the 4Runner?  Surely not US$35k, because the Land Cruiser here costs about ?30k!!

Ours is like 70k I think, which isn't far off of what yours costs if you figure exchange rate is it?

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 05, 2009, 07:43:42 AM

4Runner base price: $29,000
GX470 base price: $48,000
Land Cruiser base price: $65,000

Note that both the GX and Land Cruiser do come with much more standard equipment than the 4Runner, and that the Land Cruiser is much bigger.

CaMIRO

Quote from: ifcar on August 31, 2009, 04:51:04 PM
Uh-oh, now he's going to say that the Wrangler is the only current vehicle that's even acceptable off-road.

I was betting more along the lines of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXC5IUOdFk

93JC

:tounge:

Seriously though, a new 4Runner won't get far off-road without a lot of work. I doubt they've made this next generation any better. In fact, I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't even worse.

Catman

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2009, 05:12:29 PM

Seriously though, a new 4Runner won't get far off-road without a lot of work. I doubt they've made this next generation any better. In fact, I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't even worse.

Looks pretty impressive in the commercials. :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on September 05, 2009, 07:42:12 PM

Looks pretty impressive in the commercials. :huh:

It takes an extremely high level of use-as-a-toy abilities for him to consider a vehicle even adequate off-road.

Tave

It isn't a secret that the 4runner's off-road prowess has diminished over the years.

Although Toyota does offer the FJ which is more capable.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

Quote from: Tave on September 06, 2009, 09:52:09 AM
It isn't a secret that the 4runner's off-road prowess has diminished over the years.

Although Toyota does offer the FJ which is more capable.

Besides the compromised visibility, the FJ reminds me more of the two-door 4Runners from the mid-1980s than an FJ40 recreation.  And it's available with 4WD and a stick!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Tave

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of my old ride.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on September 05, 2009, 07:49:55 PM
It takes an extremely high level of use-as-a-toy abilities for him to consider a vehicle even adequate off-road.

But then we have to ask, What context does he have to make such a call?

The current 4Runner is the most off-road capable generation ever, and more capable than many storied 4x4 marques of the past; Bronco, Blazer, and plenty of others.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on September 06, 2009, 10:07:26 AM
But then we have to ask, What context does he have to make such a call?

The current 4Runner is the most off-road capable generation ever, and more capable than many storied 4x4 marques of the past; Bronco, Blazer, and plenty of others.

You say that based on...

r0tor

don't know about rock crwling, but my fathers 05 is an absolute tank through mud and snow...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on September 05, 2009, 08:01:50 AM
4Runner base price: $29,000
GX470 base price: $48,000
Land Cruiser base price: $65,000

Note that both the GX and Land Cruiser do come with much more standard equipment than the 4Runner, and that the Land Cruiser is much bigger.

Almost 50k for a rebadged Landcruiser?!  It better have a lot of toys at that price...

GoCougs

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 06, 2009, 11:15:55 AM
Almost 50k for a rebadged Landcruiser?!  It better have a lot of toys at that price...

The only rebadged Landcruiser is the Lexus LX570, which is even more expensive.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on September 06, 2009, 11:26:15 AM
The only rebadged Landcruiser is the Lexus LX570, which is even more expensive.

He means the SUV that's apparently called the Land Cruiser in Britain.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2009, 05:12:29 PM

Your and idiot.  Vehicles with less capability do just fine off road.

Tave

Quote from: R-inge on September 06, 2009, 06:03:49 PM
Your and idiot.  Vehicles with less capability do just fine off road.

Pfft! In Colorado maybe. I've seen your "off-roads," they've been tourist-ified. You guys don't even have mountains anymore, just progressively hillier subdivisions. :evildude:

S204STi

Quote from: Tave on September 06, 2009, 06:23:45 PM
Pfft! In Colorado maybe. I've seen your "off-roads," they've been tourist-ified. You guys don't even have mountains anymore, just progressively hillier subdivisions. :evildude:

lol

I guess you have a point.  But I grew up around these roads: http://www.4x4now.com/a4f98b.htm  , http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=engineer+pass+colorado&search_type=&aq=f  ,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvkspFMHX9I

And this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7y77ytDw0  The camera car looks to be a Xterra.