Best (and Worst) convertible translations

Started by 2o6, August 30, 2009, 05:14:45 PM

2o6

What do you think are the best coupe/sedan to convertible translations?

Onslaught

I'm finding this difficult for some reason. Most of the time unless it was originally designed to be a convertible from the get-go then it's not that great.

I thought the FC RX-7 Convert looked good even if it was a heavy pig.

Payman

Worst: PT Cruiser

Best: All Astons, Maserati Grand Turismo, Alfa 8C, Corvette, and I really liked the Chrysler 300C 4 door concept.

2o6

Quote from: Payman on August 30, 2009, 05:32:16 PM
Worst: PT Cruiser

Best: All Astons, Maserati Grand Turismo, Alfa 8C, Corvette, and I really liked the Chrysler 300C 4 door concept.

I think the PT is a cute convertible.

Onslaught

Quote from: 2o6 on August 30, 2009, 05:38:15 PM

I think the PT is a cute convertible.
Looks like a bathtub with wheels to me.

omicron

SVT666

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

I loved (and still love) the 1980's 911 convertible :huh:

but then again, there aren't too many hardtops I'd take over the convertible. The only ones I can think of are the PT Cruiser, 2003-09 350Z roadster, and if the spy photos are a good enough indication, the Mercedes E-class

nickdrinkwater

Worst:
Megane CC, any Peugeot CC, Astra CC, Focus CC, etc.
Maserati Gran Cabrio
Lexus IS250-C
BMW 1 Series Convertible
Toyota Camry Solara (winner)
Pontiac G6(?)
Audi A3 convertible

Good:
350Z
Mustang
BMW 3 Series (current)
Audi A4

Best:
Fiat 500 Cabrio
911 'Vert and Targa
Veyron
Ferrari F355 Spider
Gallardo Spyder

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19767.msg1150080#msg1150080 date=1251732123
Quoi?
The way to the roof stacks up so high the rearview mirror is useless.  With the roof down and stacked up, it just doesn't look that good.  The new 911 is different though since it all stores away and out of sight.

the Teuton

I thought the G6 cabrio was actually a pretty good conversion given the price level.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 31, 2009, 09:41:36 AM
Worst:
Maserati Gran Cabrio

Good:
BMW 3 Series (current)

Best:
Fiat 500 Cabrio

What?  The Maser is the worst and the 3er is fine?  The 3 series convertible looks horrible! 

And the Fiat 500 doesn't really count, does it?  It's not really a convertible. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19767.msg1150131#msg1150131 date=1251734842
What?  The Maser is the worst and the 3er is fine?  The 3 series convertible looks horrible! 

Looks like one to me, though not well executed with the roof stacked on top of the bodywork.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 10:24:36 AM
Looks like one to me, though not well executed with the roof stacked on top of the bodywork.

Hmm...the original pictures I saw of it had a folding fabric roof, but the full frame doors and roofline were still there.  I haven't seen a picture like that before. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=19767.msg1150145#msg1150145 date=1251735991
Hmm...the original pictures I saw of it had a folding fabric roof, but the full frame doors and roofline were still there.  I haven't seen a picture like that before. 

I've seen both.  I think they're going to be offering both of them.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 10:28:27 AM

Good for them, I guess. 

I like the partial roof one, I don't like the full open one. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 10:28:27 AM

No, that first one is a chop. They're only offering the cabrio roof deal.

Xer0

I absolutely hated that Cavalier convertible thing GM made.  Felt like throwing up in my mouth every time I saw it.  The 350Z also looks awkward, imo.  Not a big fan of the Sebrings either. 

Payman

1991 Geo Metro/Chevy Sprint/Pontiac Firefly Convertible: Good... and bad.

Good: Got 50 mpg
Bad: Wheezed up hills
Good: Cute...
Bad:... in the same way toads are cute.
Good: Weighed 1800 lbs.
Bad: Built out of recycled disposable turkey roasters
Good: Squirts around traffic
Bad: Squirts when crushed by much larger cars... like Cavaliers
Good: Girls look good in them
Bad: Guys look like fags in them
Good: They're pretty rare now
Bad: ... thanks to spectacular rusting issues.

J86

Quote from: Payman on August 31, 2009, 12:16:17 PM
1991 Geo Metro/Chevy Sprint/Pontiac Firefly Convertible: Good... and bad.

Good: Got 50 mpg
Bad: Wheezed up hills
Good: Cute...
Bad:... in the same way toads are cute.
Good: Weighed 1800 lbs.
Bad: Built out of recycled disposable turkey roasters
Good: Squirts around traffic
Bad: Squirts when crushed by much larger cars... like Cavaliers
Good: Girls look good in them
Bad: Guys look like fags in them
Good: They're pretty rare now
Bad: ... thanks to spectacular rusting issues.

:lol:

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2009, 12:45:18 PM
Swift does not "wheeze" up hills. :rolleyes:

That is not Swift. It is Metro. Metro sucks. Swift rulez.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 31, 2009, 12:46:07 PM

That is not Swift. It is Metro. Metro sucks. Swift rulez.

Fancy that, 2o6 is smarter than he looks.

J86

Not bad in and of itself, but it took away the major unique styling element of that car.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2009, 10:07:22 AM

It does have pillars but it's still a convertible really.  If not, then, I dunno, it's still good looking!

The Maser looks awful to me.  I used to hate the 3er but the design has really grown on me.  I always liked it top down but it looks decent to me top up, as well.  Obviously it's nowhere near as good looking as the coupe, but for a hardtop convertible, it's a good effort.

I forgot to mention the Merc SL.  Perhaps the best looking hardtop convertible IMO.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 31, 2009, 02:01:00 PM
It does have pillars but it's still a convertible really.  If not, then, I dunno, it's still good looking!

The Maser looks awful to me.  I used to hate the 3er but the design has really grown on me.  I always liked it top down but it looks decent to me top up, as well.  Obviously it's nowhere near as good looking as the coupe, but for a hardtop convertible, it's a good effort.

I forgot to mention the Merc SL.  Perhaps the best looking hardtop convertible IMO.

It's funny, I was talking to my friend about the 3er convertible just yesterday.  The problem is that it looks like a soft top convertible that has a hardtop latched to it.  Also, there's this weird plane issue with the roof.  It's in too many pieces, and they all seem to fit at slightly different angles, making the roof look very flat at one bit, then slanted, then flat again.  The 3er convertible is the worst looking of all the 3s, and that's saying something. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2009, 02:03:24 PM
It's funny, I was talking to my friend about the 3er convertible just yesterday.  The problem is that it looks like a soft top convertible that has a hardtop latched to it.  Also, there's this weird plane issue with the roof.  It's in too many pieces, and they all seem to fit at slightly different angles, making the roof look very flat at one bit, then slanted, then flat again.  The 3er convertible is the worst looking of all the 3s, and that's saying something. 

I can tell you don't like the 3er convertible :lol:  I think the issue with having lots of pieces is because the way it folds is quite complex and is designed to maximise space.

It's not perfect, but I think it's a good first effort.  It's definitely nicer than some of the other 'luxury' hardtop convertibles, like the Lexuses for example.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 31, 2009, 02:09:12 PM
I can tell you don't like the 3er convertible :lol:  I think the issue with having lots of pieces is because the way it folds is quite complex and is designed to maximise space.

It's not perfect, but I think it's a good first effort.  It's definitely nicer than some of the other 'luxury' hardtop convertibles, like the Lexuses for example.

As a convertible, the SC430 works well.  I mean, I'm not saying I like it (but I used to; over time, the design just began to feel more and more frumpy), but the convertible top is executed better than most four place hardtop convertibles.  Hardtop four seaters lead to really awkward roofs. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i