Manufacturers aren't utilizing all options for efficiency IMO

Started by sportyaccordy, August 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM

sportyaccordy

For one, all the accessories shouldn't be belt driven... why not get a beefier alternator and have the A/C compressor & power steering pump be electric?

2, from what I understand Mazda has a feature that enables shutdown/start up of a gas motor w/o electric motors at stop lights. This is done through precise metering of fuel through DI. Combined with a larger reserve battery and the other features this could save a bit too.

A/C is a huge energy sapper... w/a bigger reserve battery and a DC/AC rectifier couldn't they do something more efficient than the belt driven system?

Byteme

My Mazda has an electric motor driving the power steering pump.  It's justified because in normal driving the power steering pump isn't used nearly as frequently as the AC compressor.

Air conditioning would require a fairly hefty electric motor, 8-10 HP, requiring a heavier alternator which would sap more energy from the engine to create the necessary current to run the compressor.  So a simple belt and compressor would be replaced by a heavier alternator, electric motor and wiring to power the compressor.   So you add weight and complexity and some conversion loses to try to solve a problem. 

sportyaccordy

To condition the air of a car cabin shouldn't require 10HP. The A/C in my bedroom prob only uses 1-2 HP at most. Looking at similarly sized units online yields that and my bedroom is 350 sq ft.

With an electric motor, yes you would lose some efficiency in converting but you would gain all that back and then some by having the compressor run at its most efficient speed.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2009, 11:45:13 AM
With an electric motor, yes you would lose some efficiency in converting but you would gain all that back and then some by having the compressor run at its most efficient speed.

But you're then adding not only an electric motor to the AC system (lolweight), but you'll need a bigger alternator (lolweight).

Galaxy

The BMW efficient dynamics package covers much of this.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 31, 2009, 11:49:52 AM
But you're then adding not only an electric motor to the AC system (lolweight), but you'll need a bigger alternator (lolweight).
That could be offset by the smaller crank pulley + lack of complex mounts to keep the accessory belts in tension on all 3 components. I don't see that as much of an issue. Plus A/C gets used year round (dehumidification), so the cost benefits of a more efficient system would pay itself off in no time.

Raza

They should change aircon to evaporation system.  No motors, no weight, no waste.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on August 31, 2009, 01:16:13 PM
They should change aircon to evaporation system.  No motors, no weight, no waste.

Doesn't work in high humidity areas..
Will

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 01:09:55 PM
:orly:

Doesn't here.

Many regions have higher humidy, and would need it most of the year.  In the winter your windshield will fog quickly and stay that way without dehumidification of the HVAC air blowing onto the base of your windshield.  Heck, even here at 5k feet I need to dehumidify the air during the winter months or else I get fogging as well.

93JC

Oh we get fogging in the winter too, but not because the incoming air is moist. The moisture in your breath condenses because the glass is so cold.

It's really cool when it's in the -40s and the condensation starts to freeze. I've had to scrape frost off the inside before. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: JWC on August 31, 2009, 02:04:24 PM
Who needs a\c? 

Normal human beings.  I run aircon all the time.  I like it cold.  And up here, you get 90+F and 80+% humidity.  Even the dead sweat in that weather.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Will

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2009, 11:45:13 AM
To condition the air of a car cabin shouldn't require 10HP. The A/C in my bedroom prob only uses 1-2 HP at most. Looking at similarly sized units online yields that and my bedroom is 350 sq ft.

I just did a bit of research.  Teh consensus is car AC units use between 3-6 HP.

And like I said you would need an oversized alternator (more weight and drag on the engine) and an electric motor (more weight and underhood space taken) plus more wiring, a few more relays etc.

S204STi

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 01:56:45 PM
Oh we get fogging in the winter too, but not because the incoming air is moist. The moisture in your breath condenses because the glass is so cold.

It's really cool when it's in the -40s and the condensation starts to freeze. I've had to scrape frost off the inside before. :lol:

Yeah, same issue here.  But dry air works better for defogging in any case.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2009, 02:18:37 PM
Why not?
It would work in Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming..

Don't you need an open water reservoir for an evap A/C? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM
For one, all the accessories shouldn't be belt driven... why not get a beefier alternator and have the A/C compressor & power steering pump be electric?

2, from what I understand Mazda has a feature that enables shutdown/start up of a gas motor w/o electric motors at stop lights. This is done through precise metering of fuel through DI. Combined with a larger reserve battery and the other features this could save a bit too.

A/C is a huge energy sapper... w/a bigger reserve battery and a DC/AC rectifier couldn't they do something more efficient than the belt driven system?

Market studies I'm sure state that the 1-2 mpg savings isn't worth the moderate cost ($2,000+ I'd bet) for such motor systems.

The efficiency gains of running A/C compressor off of an electric motor will be minuscule as the normal course of operation the typical A/C compressor has a clutch that will cut out when need be.

Some efficiency gains can be found in oil pumps, PS pumps, water pumps, etc., but only because those systems either must run all the time, or do not have a clutch like an A/C compressor.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 31, 2009, 11:49:52 AM

A bigger, more powerful alternator that is still belt driven and will now take more mechanical power to be turned.  And unlike the AC compressor, that saps the bulk of the mechanical power only when operating, the beefier alternator will be sapping more power 100% of the time the engine is running regardless of whether the AC is on or not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 01:56:45 PM

I believe Defrost uses the A/C compressor, but I could be wrong.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2009, 03:48:46 PM
I believe Defrost uses the A/C compressor, but I could be wrong.

Most cars do this, and most people have no idea.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

For you engineering folks, there's a technology available on many CDI diesels called Piezo injectors.  Essentially what it is is a valve that deforms when exposed to electric current, allowing for the injector to more efficiently distribute fuel into the cylinder.

It's really expensive technology, and I think the cheapest vehicle it's available in in the US is the F-350 Super Duty.  But it really does make a difference in power and efficiency.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

93JC

Depends on the car. Some automatically kick on the A/C compressor, some don't. Mine doesn't. And obviously the cars out there without A/C still have defrost...

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 03:51:13 PM
For you engineering folks, there's a technology available on many CDI diesels called Piezo injectors.  Essentially what it is is a valve that deforms when exposed to electric current, allowing for the injector to more efficiently distribute fuel into the cylinder.

It's really expensive technology, and I think the cheapest vehicle it's available in in the US is the F-350 Super Duty.  But it really does make a difference in power and efficiency.

The 335d and the Mercedes Bluetec fleet that are offered in the US have them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on August 31, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
Depends on the car. Some automatically kick on the A/C compressor, some don't. Mine doesn't. And obviously the cars out there without A/C still have defrost...

Yours as in yours Mazda3 doesn't? My Focus did. I unplugged the electrical connector on the back of the HVAC knob. A/C only goes on when I say A/C goes on!  :heated:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on August 31, 2009, 03:51:13 PM

Piezos also work in reverse - deform them and they produce a current - this is how click-style push-button ignitors work on grills and camping stoves.

S204STi

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on August 31, 2009, 04:01:46 PM
Piezos also work in reverse - deform them and they produce a current - this is how click-style push-button ignitors work on grills and camping stoves.

You learn something new everyday.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!