I was at traffic court today...

Started by 850CSi, May 12, 2005, 02:43:54 PM

L. ed foote

FWIW, I've never been yelled at for chewing gum, or for sucking on hard candies.
Member, Self Preservation Society

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe guy brought his attorney with him to fight a $100 ticket, whatever.
What's wrong with that.  :P

Seriously though, I always bring a lawyer. Its not the ticket that hurts, its the goddamn insurance surcharges.  :angry:

:ph34r:
How often do you get tickets? :P
Not often, but in NJ it really sucked to get even one. Over three years it could cost up to 1500 bucks.

I haven't gotten any tickets since moving to Montreal.

dazzleman

QuoteFWIW, I've never been yelled at for chewing gum, or for sucking on hard candies.
Those liberal New York courts are so permissive.... :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

BMWDave

QuoteThe guy brought his attorney with him to fight a $100 ticket, whatever.
What's wrong with that.  :P

Seriously though, I always bring a lawyer. Its not the ticket that hurts, its the goddamn insurance surcharges.  :angry:

:ph34r:
How often do you get tickets? :P
Not often, but in NJ it really sucked to get even one. Over three years it could cost up to 1500 bucks.

I haven't gotten any tickets since moving to Montreal.
Police in NJ are a bit crazy...they are very intent on giving people tickets.  One time my friend made a U-turn.  Within 3 seconds (literally) we were pulled over and given a 82 dollar ticket.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TurboDan

NJ tends to be really bad at "the Shore" where the towns literally (and openly) rely on ticket revenue to run the towns.  Basically, there is no one around to ticket all winter long, so when Summer arrives they go nuts.  

I've told a bunch of stories on C&D, even one where a town illegally lowered speed limits on a county road and continued to ticket people even after a court decision said they couldn't lower the limit.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteNJ tends to be really bad at "the Shore" where the towns literally (and openly) rely on ticket revenue to run the towns.  Basically, there is no one around to ticket all winter long, so when Summer arrives they go nuts.  

I've told a bunch of stories on C&D, even one where a town illegally lowered speed limits on a county road and continued to ticket people even after a court decision said they couldn't lower the limit.
Honestly tickets never bothered me, like I said the problem was insurance. I was lucky to have NJM (non-profit insurance company), but if I started getting tickets I would have to go back to private insurance companies which would rape me. So it was worth it to me to spend 3-400 bucks to keep any points off my license. Not sure if other states are this bad but I know it sucked there.

Of course in Montreal I am paying about twice as much as I did in NJ anyway, so I guess everything is relative.

850CSi

Okay, guys, question...

I have one conviction on my record now for the turn signal ticket, and I'm under supervision for the other. In Late July/Early August, I'll have that ticket off my record if I get no other tickets (Should be easy, becasue I'm not an agressive driver, and I'm going to be gone for a month).

I still want to get the other ticket off of my record...
Is my driving record cleared when I'm 18? (I wouldn't think so...)
Can I go to traffic school to get that one ticket I was convicted for? (I'd probably go after I come back and supervision's over)

giant_mtb

QuoteOkay, guys, question...

I have one conviction on my record now for the turn signal ticket, and I'm under supervision for the other. In Late July/Early August, I'll have that ticket off my record if I get no other tickets (Should be easy, becasue I'm not an agressive driver, and I'm going to be gone for a month).

I still want to get the other ticket off of my record...
Is my driving record cleared when I'm 18? (I wouldn't think so...)
Can I go to traffic school to get that one ticket I was convicted for? (I'd probably go after I come back and supervision's over)
I don't know...but if the ticket was going to be cleared from your record when you turn 18 they would have told you so (or that it would be possible via driving school or something)...   just my $.02

Raghavan

gosh i sure hope that i never get a ticket!

dazzleman

Quotegosh i sure hope that i never get a ticket!
You will, and you'll survive.  It gets easier with each one.  Believe me, I know. :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

The real racket is in NJ, where every speeding ticket in a 65MPH zone is doubled, whether you strike a deal or not. They liked the extra cash so much that they enacted "safe corridor" zones on non-65 limit highways that doubled all fines there. People often wind up paying over $400 just for one ticket.
A buddy of mine just got a speeding ticket in New Jersey, and the fine is $400.  He's going to court to try to get it lowered.  He got bagged for doing around 90 mph in a 65 mph zone.

Tom

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

The real racket is in NJ, where every speeding ticket in a 65MPH zone is doubled, whether you strike a deal or not. They liked the extra cash so much that they enacted "safe corridor" zones on non-65 limit highways that doubled all fines there. People often wind up paying over $400 just for one ticket.
A buddy of mine just got a speeding ticket in New Jersey, and the fine is $400.  He's going to court to try to get it lowered.  He got bagged for doing around 90 mph in a 65 mph zone.
Ouch.  In PA, 26+ over the speed limit is grounds for reckless endangerment(or something similar, I forget the name), which carries a huge fine and an automatic 6 points, which means a 6 month(?) liscense revocation(I think).  So he would have missed that by 1 mph here :P  

footoflead

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

Ouch.  In PA, 26+ over the speed limit is grounds for reckless endangerment(or something similar, I forget the name), which carries a huge fine and an automatic 6 points, which means a 6 month(?) liscense revocation(I think).  So he would have missed that by 1 mph here :P
i bet the officer would have just said close enough and suspended it anyway
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

dazzleman

QuoteGeez.? Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!? Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.? I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

More likely, he would have lowered the speed a couple of mph, unless the driver was being a total axxwipe.  I know a lot of cases where friends of mine have caught a break from a cop to help them avoid more serious consequences than a ticket.

In Connecticut, 85 mph or more is considered reckless driving, and in theory can lead to arrest, rather than being ticketed, and a 6-month license revocation.  I'm sure it's usually pleaded down, and if I ever get nailed for that, I'll have to get a lawyer and try to knock it down to regular speeding.  Hopefully, that won't happen, since I generally don't go much above 80 mph.

footoflead

More likely, he would have lowered the speed a couple of mph, unless the driver was being a total axxwipe.  I know a lot of cases where friends of mine have caught a break from a cop to help them avoid more serious consequences than a ticket.

In Connecticut, 85 mph or more is considered reckless driving, and in theory can lead to arrest, rather than being ticketed, and a 6-month license revocation.  I'm sure it's usually pleaded down, and if I ever get nailed for that, I'll have to get a lawyer and try to knock it down to regular speeding.  Hopefully, that won't happen, since I generally don't go much above 80 mph.
The cops around here dont do that, and they dont even now what a warning is :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :devil: ...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

dazzleman

QuoteThe cops around here dont do that, and they dont even now what a warning is :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :devil: ...
Where do you live, man?

footoflead

QuoteThe cops around here dont do that, and they dont even now what a warning is :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :devil: ...
Where do you live, man?
Northwest of Houston

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

dazzleman

QuoteThe cops around here dont do that, and they dont even now what a warning is :ph34r:? :ph34r:? :ph34r:? :devil: ...
Where do you live, man?
Northwest of Houston
I guess those Texas boys are pretty tough.  Is there any way you can get a PBA card?  A woman I know just got stopped for speeding for the second time in 3 weeks, and got off because she has a PBA card.

Raza

I think I pretty much disproved that one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.