I was at traffic court today...

Started by 850CSi, May 12, 2005, 02:43:54 PM

850CSi

I was at traffic court today for a speeding ticket and an expired insurance citation. The insurance citation was thrown out as soon as I showed a valid card. I plead guilty to the speeding charge, and was asked if I had any other tickets in the past year. I told the judge about the ticket I got only a week before the speeding ticket for failure to signal while changing lanes. He thought about it for a split second and granted me court supervision. I was fined $120 for the speeding ticket (50 in a 35). Kind of steep, but whatever. I used my parents' cash to pay for it (I would have paid, but I don't have a penny to my name). Got my license back.

I got what I wanted. Now I just have to drive like I normally do and not get careless or negligent (Which was I got those tickets in the first place), and my record is clean after 3 months.

Thank you, Justice system!

BTW, there were a surprising amount of people in there for driving on a suspended license. How stupid can you be? Not really to drive on a suspended license, but  to drive in a manner that gets you pulled over...
:P

TurboDan

Nice!  Just don't get caught in those three months though, or they'll nail you with everything they got!

850CSi

QuoteNice!  Just don't get caught in those three months though, or they'll nail you with everything they got!
Yeah. If I do something wrong, I'll be screwed. But I didn't get any tickets for the first 5 months I drove, and even the tickets I got were for relatively minor offenses. I can go 3 months (In actuality, less than 2, because I'm leaving the country for a month over the summer) without doing anything stupid.

The Phantom

BTW, there were a surprising amount of people in there for driving on a suspended license. How stupid can you be? Not really to drive on a suspended license, but  to drive in a manner that gets you pulled over...
And you know, even though there's that bullshit "probable cause" thing, driving exactly the speed limit probably isn't the way to go about looking innocent when you are doing something illegal.

Of course, if some stupid shit got pulled over for "looking suspicious" due to exactly following the speed limit and not looking at anybody, the God damn ACLU would be all over it like flies on shit.

I hate the ACLU.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

280Z Turbo

BTW, there were a surprising amount of people in there for driving on a suspended license. How stupid can you be? Not really to drive on a suspended license, but  to drive in a manner that gets you pulled over...
And you know, even though there's that bullshit "probable cause" thing, driving exactly the speed limit probably isn't the way to go about looking innocent when you are doing something illegal.

Of course, if some stupid shit got pulled over for "looking suspicious" due to exactly following the speed limit and not looking at anybody, the God damn ACLU would be all over it like flies on shit.

I hate the ACLU.
We know! :rolleyes:  :lol:  

BMWDave

BTW, there were a surprising amount of people in there for driving on a suspended license. How stupid can you be? Not really to drive on a suspended license, but  to drive in a manner that gets you pulled over...

I hate the ACLU.
So do I!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Why?

I don't know. Going exactly the speed limit works for me. Even in my Lightning Blue Viggen.

Well, on the highways anyway. The backroads are a different story, lol.

cozmik

QuoteI don't know. Going exactly the speed limit works for me. Even in my Lightning Blue Viggen.

WHOA! You have a Viggen in Lightning Blue?!?!  :o  NICE!  B)

Now, back on topic, you can do it! I am glad to hear it worked out well. You should be fine, just don't do more than 10 over and you'll have no problems (I do 10 over all the time with cops behind me, they don't give a damn).

:)  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

The Phantom

QuoteI don't know. Going exactly the speed limit works for me. Even in my Lightning Blue Viggen.

Now, back on topic, you can do it! I am glad to hear it worked out well. You should be fine, just don't do more than 10 over and you'll have no problems (I do 10 over all the time with cops behind me, they don't give a damn).

What was really dumb the other day was that there was a town cop (Modesto or Ceres) on highway 99 in the middle lane, and nobody would pass him.  The dumb part?  He wasn't even doing 65 (the speed limit)!!!  I passed him on the right doing 65, and another vehicle followed me.  I was going to my exit anyway.  I know I could've gotten away with passing him at 70 anyway.  I do it all the time.  People are too paranoid of police officers.  That's why I said if you're doing exactly the speed limit, you probably look more suspicious than you would if you were doing about five over.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

NomisR

What was really dumb the other day was that there was a town cop (Modesto or Ceres) on highway 99 in the middle lane, and nobody would pass him.  The dumb part?  He wasn't even doing 65 (the speed limit)!!!  I passed him on the right doing 65, and another vehicle followed me.  I was going to my exit anyway.  I know I could've gotten away with passing him at 70 anyway.  I do it all the time.  People are too paranoid of police officers.  That's why I said if you're doing exactly the speed limit, you probably look more suspicious than you would if you were doing about five over.
The asshole was a lane camper!  I'm sure he would've pulled you over for passing on the right if you weren't exiting!   B)  :P  

Raza

Ha!  My brother pleaded not guilty to the violation (62 in a 35) and was refunded his ticket, given no points, and all for 6 hours of community service, which amounted to helping the local firemen clean out their garage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I hate the ACLU.
So do I!
So do I and any American with common sense (and, in most cases, that doesn't include liberals ;) :D)) should feel the same way.

Catman

I have three appeals to the judge on the 19th to attend.  All three that I wrote were for speeding.  All 45+ in a 30 zone.  And, all of them were written for 40 as to minimize the fine to $100 (MA minimum).  They've already been to the magistrate and found responsible.  Guess I'll have to show up and ruin their day.  BTW, two of them were written in front of my old residence.  ;)   Ungrateful people. <_<  :lol:  

TurboDan

Geez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

The real racket is in NJ, where every speeding ticket in a 65MPH zone is doubled, whether you strike a deal or not. They liked the extra cash so much that they enacted "safe corridor" zones on non-65 limit highways that doubled all fines there. People often wind up paying over $400 just for one ticket.

SJ_GTI

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

The real racket is in NJ, where every speeding ticket in a 65MPH zone is doubled, whether you strike a deal or not. They liked the extra cash so much that they enacted "safe corridor" zones on non-65 limit highways that doubled all fines there. People often wind up paying over $400 just for one ticket.
I have never pleaded guilty to a speeding ticket.

I haven't been pulled over in a while, but basically I call my lawyer (well technically my father's lawyer, but my brother's and I use him too) and he negotiates with the prosecutor to give me a parking ticket instead. Its a little more money, but I avoid any insurance surcharges.

As for hating the ACLU...I am just confused on that. These are basically classic liberals that want to keep the government off our collective backs. Sometimes I think they get involved in some petty shit but they are pretty consistent in their views and motives.

The Phantom

I don't know.  It seems to me the only reason one would have to really like the ACLU is if he's a criminal or if he's been offended by a search that found something illegal in his home or car.

280Z Turbo

The ACLU may be stupid sometimes, OK...often, but at least they balance out the opposing side.

Raza

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

Jersey traffic cops are thugs--at least the one I encountered.  My brother was driving home on 206 doing 40-45 in a 40 when an unmarked car tailgaited him into a 30--an unnecessary drop in the speed limit.  Of course, since my brother had a car on his ass he didn't slow down, and the clock pulled him for 42 in a 30.  It was a relatively cheap ticket, 120, I think, and no points since we aren't NJ residents.  But it certainly ruined my day, and his.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

James Young

QuoteI don't know.  It seems to me the only reason one would have to really like the ACLU is if he's a criminal or if he's been offended by a search that found something illegal in his home or car.
Or if one is a drug-addicted Rightwing talk show host.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

The Phantom

QuoteI don't know.  It seems to me the only reason one would have to really like the ACLU is if he's a criminal or if he's been offended by a search that found something illegal in his home or car.
Or if one is a drug-addicted Rightwing talk show host.
I'm surprised, being a right winger, that the ACLU is helping him!  But, as I said, as long as you're doing something wrong, then you have reason to like the ACLU.

TurboDan

QuoteGeez.  Appealing a speeding ticket is pretty desperate to begin with - much less one for under $100!  Sounds to me like these people probably have alot of points stacked up against them and are trying to save their license.  I can't imagine anyone being too worried about paying a fine like that.

Jersey traffic cops are thugs--at least the one I encountered.  My brother was driving home on 206 doing 40-45 in a 40 when an unmarked car tailgaited him into a 30--an unnecessary drop in the speed limit.  Of course, since my brother had a car on his ass he didn't slow down, and the clock pulled him for 42 in a 30.  It was a relatively cheap ticket, 120, I think, and no points since we aren't NJ residents.  But it certainly ruined my day, and his.
NJSP is particularly "thuggish" in their approach sometimes.  I've witnessed roadway intimidation by them, essentially tailgating people into a ticket.  One incident that sticks out in my mind was a construction zone where all of the traffic had to get into the left lane.  When the zone ended, some of the traffic moved to the right, and one minivan was stuck and couldn't get over.  An NJSP cruisers got right on his tail, forcing him to speed up so he could get out of the way and pass the rest of the pack of cars taking up the right lane.  As soon as he got into the right lane and out of the way, the NJSP officer lit him up for a ticet.

Other times I've noticed stranded motorists on the side of dangerous highways, literally feet away from NJSP cars pulled to the side waiting to nail someone on a speeding ticket.  All of the LEOs I've known personally through my entire life have been great people who I genuinely liked as friends.  The two NJSP officers I've known were simply jerks.  

There's something severely lacking in that agency, if you ask me.

Catman

I had those three appeals today.  I was upheld on two of the three.  The last one I lost.  The guy brought his attorney with him to fight a $100 ticket, whatever.  On my initial statements I noted, on record, that I had noticed two errors I had committed on the citation.  Neither were to my benefit so I don't think the Judge cared about it much.  The argument centered around cars in front and behind the driver in question.  Since the cite was written in November 04 I couldn't recall where the other cars were at the time and really didn't care.  My point was that if I wrote him the ticket than he was the violator.  The presense of other vehicles had no bearing on the matter.  If there had been any discrepancy he wouldn't have been stopped.  But, whatever, I wasn't worried.  To be honest I didn't really here what the dispostion was but I assume he was not responsible.  The important thing is that I was honest and left with my integrity intact as it should be.

On a side note, the kid before that guy got reamed for chewing gum on the stand.  Very entertaining.  All in all a good day with four hours OT.  Unfortunately, I had to get out of bed with only three hours sleep.  Waaaaa. :lol:  

TurboDan

Haha, nice!  At least someone I like is making money in traffic court!  Lol.

Yeah, chewing gum on the stand will definitely get you chewed out by the judge.  I love when I catch an episode of Judge Judy and she really gives it to someone being disrespectful in court!

Catman

QuoteHaha, nice!  At least someone I like is making money in traffic court!  Lol.

Yeah, chewing gum on the stand will definitely get you chewed out by the judge.  I love when I catch an episode of Judge Judy and she really gives it to someone being disrespectful in court!
I saw another guy with shorts and flip flops on! :o  

The Phantom

QuoteHaha, nice!  At least someone I like is making money in traffic court!  Lol.

Yeah, chewing gum on the stand will definitely get you chewed out by the judge.  I love when I catch an episode of Judge Judy and she really gives it to someone being disrespectful in court!
It tickles me to see kids who think they know all being put in their place.

850CSi

I was in Traffic Court again this morning because there was a motion to revoke supervision from the previous ticket and I decided to show up.

I was convicted.

Are those ever taken off your record?

850CSi

QuoteOn a side note, the kid before that guy got reamed for chewing gum on the stand.
lol...

Some kid this morning walked up to the stand sagging his pants and wearing earrings and a white tee... Couldn't have been much over 16 or much over 5' tall...
I couldn't help but laugh inside when his previous records were being read out to the judge and he had like a million violations, one of which was something along the lines of Alcohol consumption..

I don't care what people do, but you really don't have a good shot with a judge when you're backing up any negative stereotype the judge might have.

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe guy brought his attorney with him to fight a $100 ticket, whatever.
What's wrong with that.  :P

Seriously though, I always bring a lawyer. Its not the ticket that hurts, its the goddamn insurance surcharges.  :angry:

:ph34r:  

BMWDave

QuoteThe guy brought his attorney with him to fight a $100 ticket, whatever.
What's wrong with that.  :P

Seriously though, I always bring a lawyer. Its not the ticket that hurts, its the goddamn insurance surcharges.  :angry:

:ph34r:
How often do you get tickets? :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

L. ed foote

QuoteHaha, nice!  At least someone I like is making money in traffic court!  Lol.

Yeah, chewing gum on the stand will definitely get you chewed out by the judge.  I love when I catch an episode of Judge Judy and she really gives it to someone being disrespectful in court!
Yeah, I was on my way to the beach  :lol:  
Member, Self Preservation Society