Witnessed an accident today

Started by ifcar, September 02, 2009, 09:36:36 PM

ifcar

Not too significant, a rear-end collision in rush hour traffic. Car was coming down a wide-open merge lane and the Explorer in front of him (two cars behind me) came to a stop just as the other car was trying to come in.

After the accident, the driver of the car behind me -- between me and the struck Explorer -- almost immediately hung up his cell phone.

Speed_Racer

Funny that it takes an accident for people to hang up their cell phones while driving.

cawimmer430

The cops are going to knock on your door in 3...2...1...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

S204STi

I've never been a first hand witness to a wreck other than the one I was in.  I've been first on the scene to a spectacularly gruesome and fatal one though... not fun.

r0tor

One summer interning I was commuting back and forth between NJ and PA.... Had a 5 car accident break out around me on the PA turnpike (literally the two guys in front wrecked, guy aside of me wrecked, and both guys behind me) and then later that summer I had another 3 car pileup involving the car to the left of me.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Well, this prolly deserves a thread of its own but, I admit, when I use my phone when driving, I cannot afterwards remember a damn thing about about the chunk of my journey occupied by the duration of the call. When you drive, most of the time your brain is on autopilot, listening to music, thinking about "stuff" etc. But when you are in a cellphone call, it's as if the slice of attention your brain gives to autopiloting gets cut in half.

I have not been using my soon-to-be-replaced piece-of-shit Bluetooth headset, so that may be a part of it - holding the Blackberry up to my ear. But somehow I think the problem is not wholly to do with whether you have the phone itself or a handsfree device stuck in your ear.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 04, 2009, 07:22:32 AM
Well, this prolly deserves a thread of its own but, I admit, when I use my phone when driving, I cannot afterwards remember a damn thing about about the chunk of my journey occupied by the duration of the call. When you drive, most of the time your brain is on autopilot, listening to music, thinking about "stuff" etc. But when you are in a cellphone call, it's as if chunk of attention your brain gives to autopiloting gets cut in half.

I have not been using my soon-to-be-replaced piece-of-shit Bluetooth headset, so that may be a part of it - holding the Blackberry up to my ear. But somehow I think the problem is not wholly to do with whether you have the phone itself or a handsfree device stuck in your ear.

Multiple studies have shown that it makes no difference whether you're hands-free or not. The brain concentrates on the phone call. They don't know why exactly phone calls take up so much more brain-juice than just talking to another passenger, either. The same thing happens while trying to watch TV and talk on the phone.

All US Military bases are now "cellphone-free" - except that you CAN use a hands-free. Plus, the speed limits are usually 35mph or slower. But still, all the accidents I've seen, someone was yakking on the phone.
(They totally hide that fact from the MPs- to avoid a ticket/ culpability.)

My cell doesn't ring much, anyway- but I look at the caller and ignore it sometimes, or answer and tell them I'll call them back. Friends must think I'm weird because if I'm driving with the wife, I have them talk with  her- she tells them I'm driving and relays.

BUT some studies have shown cellphone talking while driving is as bad or worse than Drunk Driving.
Will

ifcar

Don't know if the relaying is actually any improvement over a regular cell phone call. It's still a telephone conversation more than a conversation with a passenger. I think the same distractions would apply.

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 04, 2009, 08:00:37 AM
Multiple studies have shown that it makes no difference whether you're hands-free or not. The brain concentrates on the phone call. They don't know why exactly phone calls take up so much more brain-juice than just talking to another passenger, either. The same thing happens while trying to watch TV and talk on the phone.

Studies have shown the difference is a person to person conversation will take a pause if a dangerous traffic condition is present
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on September 04, 2009, 08:50:11 AM
Studies have shown the difference is a person to person conversation will take a pause if a dangerous traffic condition is present

I would agree with this observation.  I have been known to zone out of a conversation in the car because of a situation in traffic that requires my attention, but the same isn't necessarily true if I'm on the phone.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on September 04, 2009, 08:51:55 AM
I would agree with this observation.  I have been known to zone out of a conversation in the car because of a situation in traffic that requires my attention, but the same isn't necessarily true if I'm on the phone.

You know that the person sitting in the car with you can see the same traffic conditions that you can, while someone on the phone cannot. A passenger can tell why you're ignoring them for a moment and they can talk to you at any point in the car ride.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on September 04, 2009, 08:56:09 AM
You know that the person sitting in the car with you can see the same traffic conditions that you can, while someone on the phone cannot. A passenger can tell why you're ignoring them for a moment and they can talk to you at any point in the car ride.

Exactly.

I like Will's idea of having his wife do the talking for him.  I'm going to implement that I think.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on September 04, 2009, 08:57:57 AM
Exactly.

I like Will's idea of having his wife do the talking for him.  I'm going to implement that I think.

Doing the talking is one thing; just relaying a conversation back and forth is essentially using a passenger as a telephone, with all the problems therein.

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 04, 2009, 11:58:22 AM
You witnessed it. The cops want the details.

It was bumper-to-bumper traffic. There were dozens of witnesses. And there's not too much question about whose fault it is when you drive into a stopped car.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on September 04, 2009, 12:00:49 PM
It was bumper-to-bumper traffic. There were dozens of witnesses. And there's not too much question about whose fault it is when you drive into a stopped car.

Ah.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

I saw one last week.  I was on a busy 4 lane and there were all of these police cars on the side of the road responding to some sort of call (not sure what, they had a driveway blocked with yellow caution tape and there were at least 7 police vehicles) and I came to a stop at a light just after the house where all of the commotion was happening and then I hear a "bang".  I look over my shoulder just in time to see a mid 90s Accord bouncing off the back of the Maxima that was right next to me in the other lane.  The Honda driver was obviously paying more attention to the police and not to the traffic ahead.  The good news is there were plenty of cops right there to witness it and take down an accident report.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on September 04, 2009, 08:51:55 AM

For me, I just stop paying attention to the phone call.  I focus on the road, and often ask people to repeat themselves. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ifcar on September 04, 2009, 09:04:45 AM
Doing the talking is one thing; just relaying a conversation back and forth is essentially using a passenger as a telephone, with all the problems therein.

Sure, the phone call message is harder to get right.
But I stay focused on the road better. (And sometimes the caller just says, nevermind- call me when you're done driving. :lol: )
Will

hotrodalex

I barely talk on the phone, much less answer it, so it's not much of a problem for me. :lol:

SVT666

What really pisses me off are the people that text while driving.  Talk about fucking dangerous.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 09, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
What really pisses me off are the people that text while driving.  Talk about fucking dangerous.

+1, I want to drag them from the cars and park the phone up their ass sometimes.

I also just remembered that I once watched a car slide off the interstate in MA and roll over in the median, and a truck I was following down 34 near Loveland oversteered into a guard rail.  In neither case was anybody seriously hurt as far as I know.

SVT_Power

I text while driving  :evildude:

(While waiting at red lights only though)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

I've been meaning to pick up one of those douchey bluetooth things since I'm on the phone pretty frequently while traveling between sites for my job...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

YES.

Today was the first day of school, my physics teacher got into a bad accident, after a dude who was texting cut a red and T-boned him.

He suffered some nerve damage near his hip, and something's up with his hand, and he has a lot of difficulty writing. He said that the dude who hit him was in a riced Civic, while he was in his FJ Cruiser. The Civic was in baaaad shape, while his car suffered some cosmetic damage and needed a new axle.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 09, 2009, 05:13:25 PM
I've been meaning to pick up one of those douchey bluetooth things since I'm on the phone pretty frequently while traveling between sites for my job...
Just put your phone on speaker phone and you're good to go.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT_Power

Quote from: thecarnut on September 09, 2009, 05:22:43 PM
Just put your phone on speaker phone and you're good to go.

my resonator-less machine is probably a little bit too loud as background noise

SVT666

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 09, 2009, 05:35:23 PM
my resonator-less machine is probably a little bit too loud as background noise
Ha!  My Focus is too loud for speaker phone too.  It's that wicked exhaust and intake that SVT put on this thing.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 09, 2009, 05:46:08 PM
Ha!  My Focus is too loud for speaker phone too.  It's that wicked exhaust and intake that SVT put on this thing.

Wow, you think that's loud? You should drive a Swift sometime.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)