Noise & vibration through steering wheel

Started by SVT_Power, September 04, 2009, 08:17:21 PM

SVT_Power

I think I know this one but it's escaping me. Basically when I turn the wheel left a little bit, there's a humming noise along with vibration through the steering wheel and when i turn it a little right, it's fine. I know it's not the tires since they're relatively new.

(Funny enough, both of the family cars are having this issue)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

It sounds like either a wheel bearing or you need an alignment.

You pick which one.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2009, 08:22:08 PM
RightLeft front wheel bearing.

[/thread]

Also make sure it's not the tires (poor alignment may have wiped them out on the inside edge already), but Nick is most likely correct.

SVT_Power

okay i jacked up the front end today to wiggle the wheels around. The left side seemed solid, the right had a little bit of place but not nearly as much as this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khjK0y6PIw

any play = change bearing?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 06, 2009, 07:58:09 PM
okay i jacked up the front end today to wiggle the wheels around. The left side seemed solid, the right had a little bit of place but not nearly as much as this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khjK0y6PIw

any play = change bearing?

With any sealed cartridge bearing it must be replaced if there is play.  Some 4wds still have adjustable bearings but those are going out of style.

Also, Nick you were right about it being the right side. :lol:

the Teuton

My dad drove my Subaru back 130 miles home with a nasty ass wheel bearing problem. It doesn't have to be changed. :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!